WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ha! 920 beats Samsung S3... Friend was telling me that an 8mp photo wasn't good enough to print an 8x10 photo... I begged to differ and it turned into a competition with our phones. We both took about the same photo, he has an S3 and I have the 920... We uploaded it to Walgreens via our respective apps... Anyhow after picking up the pictures, it was unanimous that the 920 8x10 was better then the S3 8x10... S3 had a dark washed out background, while the 920 had truer colors, both foreground and background...

:D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ha! 920 beats Samsung S3... Friend was telling me that an 8mp photo wasn't good enough to print an 8x10 photo... I begged to differ and it turned into a competition with our phones. We both took about the same photo, he has an S3 and I have the 920... We uploaded it to Walgreens via our respective apps... Anyhow after picking up the pictures, it was unanimous that the 920 8x10 was better then the S3 8x10... S3 had a dark washed out background, while the 920 had truer colors, both foreground and background...

:D
Awesome!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

In the end, I proved that phone (8mp) pics were good enough for 8x10, be it S3 or 920... But the 920 pic was better ;)

Heck, I knew 8mp was fine for 8x10 as I printed a 3mp picture on a 24x36 color plotter back in 2000 and it came out fine... Granted a plotter isn't the best for pictures

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Good morning!

Last day before I have to start my new job. I think I'll wait another few hours before I get really nervous.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'll write this here as it doesn't rally fit into the movie thread: I don't really know what to think about Oprah Winfrey.

The story, how Oprah told it, was that after this grand wedding party of Tina Turner, Oprah went out to Zurich for shopping. She entered a story, saw a black crocodile leather bag (yeah, great on animal protection, are we?) and wanted to buy it, but the assistant told her this bag is too expensive for her, and she did that because Oprah is black of course.

This lead to an incredible outrage about racism in Swittzerland, Switzerland Touristic wrote a panicky post on twitter and it made news in all the world. Now don't get me wrong, we have racism here, and a lot of it. But this story just seemed strange to me from the beginning.

The comments from people of Zurich were mostly: "She wasn't treated badly because she is black, but because the assistants in Zurich's high society shops are just uptight snobs and treat everybody badly."

After a while the assistant herself gave a comment, and her side of the story was, that this bag was heavily secured and therefore she wanted to show Oprah a similar bag, which is just standard store policy.

In such a situation, when shortly after a movie about discrimination by this same person is released, I just smell promotion. Or as Oprah herself made the point: Nobody knew her here before this all came up.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'll write this here as it doesn't rally fit into the movie thread: I don't really know what to think about Oprah Winfrey.

The story, how Oprah told it, was that after this grand wedding party of Tina Turner, Oprah went out to Zurich for shopping. She entered a story, saw a black crocodile leather bag (yeah, great on animal protection, are we?) and wanted to buy it, but the assistant told her this bag is too expensive for her, and she did that because Oprah is black of course.

This lead to an incredible outrage about racism in Swittzerland, Switzerland Touristic wrote a panicky post on twitter and it made news in all the world. Now don't get me wrong, we have racism here, and a lot of it. But this story just seemed strange to me from the beginning.

The comments from people of Zurich were mostly: "She wasn't treated badly because she is black, but because the assistants in Zurich's high society shops are just uptight snobs and treat everybody badly."

After a while the assistant herself gave a comment, and her side of the story was, that this bag was heavily secured and therefore she wanted to show Oprah a similar bag, which is just standard store policy.

In such a situation, when shortly after a movie about discrimination by this same person is released, I just smell promotion. Or as Oprah herself made the point: Nobody knew her here before this all came up.
I've heard about the incident.

As for the movie, she was an actress, not herself or doing a talk show. She didn't write the script, but just memorized her lines and acted the part of the character she was supposed to be.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I've heard about the incident.

As for the movie, she was an actress, not herself or doing a talk show. She didn't write the script, but just memorized her lines and acted the part of the character she was supposed to be.

I didn't want to write negatively about the movie, it just reminded me of this story.

Forest Whitaker is great and I think I would watch it only because of him, and of course I'm interested in the topic itself. I don't think I'll watch it in a cinema though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I didn't want to write negatively about the movie, it just reminded me of this story.

Forest Whitaker is great and I think I would watch it only because of him, and of course I'm interested in the topic itself. I don't think I'll watch it in a cinema though.

I tend to go to the cinema for the "serious" movies (the ones that tend to get the Oscar nominations. I usually wait for Netflix for the comedies, action films and other "light" genres.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I tend to go to the cinema for the "serious" movies (the ones that tend to get the Oscar nominations. I usually wait for Netflix for the comedies, action films and other "light" genres.

I just don't go often to the cinema anymore. But now the weather gets worse, I will probably go more often. I never understood that, why are the big movies coming out in summer? That doesn't make any sense, in summer we should enjoy the water and have a barbecue, not sitting in a dark room :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I just don't go often to the cinema anymore. But now the weather gets worse, I will probably go more often. I never understood that, why are the big movies coming out in summer? That doesn't make any sense, in summer we should enjoy the water and have a barbecue, not sitting in a dark room :)

The summer movies usually tend to be action movies that are fun but won't get any Oscar nominations.

I was actually surprised that The Butler got released this early. It is the type of movie that usually does not get released until October/November.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

The summer movies usually tend to be action movies that are fun but won't get any Oscar nominations.

I was actually surprised that The Butler got released this early. It is the type of movie that usually does not get released until October/November.

I'm not sure The Butler will be showed in cinemas here, I haven't found anything. Well, I'll just stick to my plan to watch it at home when it's released.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Found the 25-years anniversary edition of The Blues Brothers in a shelf, a much better use of my time than preparing for tomorrow!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett