WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Good morning, good afternoon and in case I don't see ya... good night!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Wish I wouldn't have to start with a meeting in which I'll just sit in and hope somebody notices me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'll write this here as it doesn't rally fit into the movie thread: I don't really know what to think about Oprah Winfrey.

The story, how Oprah told it, was that after this grand wedding party of Tina Turner, Oprah went out to Zurich for shopping. She entered a story, saw a black crocodile leather bag (yeah, great on animal protection, are we?) and wanted to buy it, but the assistant told her this bag is too expensive for her, and she did that because Oprah is black of course.

This lead to an incredible outrage about racism in Swittzerland, Switzerland Touristic wrote a panicky post on twitter and it made news in all the world. Now don't get me wrong, we have racism here, and a lot of it. But this story just seemed strange to me from the beginning.

The comments from people of Zurich were mostly: "She wasn't treated badly because she is black, but because the assistants in Zurich's high society shops are just uptight snobs and treat everybody badly."

After a while the assistant herself gave a comment, and her side of the story was, that this bag was heavily secured and therefore she wanted to show Oprah a similar bag, which is just standard store policy.

In such a situation, when shortly after a movie about discrimination by this same person is released, I just smell promotion. Or as Oprah herself made the point: Nobody knew her here before this all came up.

My take personally was that she did experience racism during that incident to some degree but it ended up spinning so much more out of control than necessary and in my eye Oprah to a hit and the Swiss image got a slight scuff too.

I think Oprah as a celeb worth all that money doesn't need to pull a publicity stunt like this for a movie. My take is she didn't do that here. The problem with many Amarican celebs is that even though the world is a global village, there are always places that people will not know you're a celeb and why. But there are always places that people will know your ethnicity and if they have negative views of your ethnic group, that will be what always supercede how they interact with you. There are places within the US itself that Obama cannot go, for instance, simply because he is black and not welcome there.

As an actress, she is decent and has experience both on screen and in plays. It was just a sad incident all around.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Lots of things will need doing :unhappy:

You're quite right indeed. I start my insane school schedule on Tuesday. For three days each week, I work from 9-5, have class from 6-9 and it still takes me 75 mins to get to class from work, 20 mins to get from class to home and 90mins to go,from home to work. I will wake up at 6am and go to sleep at probably 12am. I need gunniess and carsleg to survive.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

You're quite right indeed. I start my insane school schedule on Tuesday. For three days each week, I work from 9-5, have class from 6-9 and it still takes me 75 mins to get to class from work, 20 mins to get from class to home and 90mins to go,from home to work. I will wake up at 6am and go to sleep at probably 12am. I need gunniess and carsleg to survive.

That sounds very intensive, I hope everything works out fine for you.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

What you doing at school?

That a physical schedule you got there!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Going for a stroll with my mother's puppy confirmed on one hand that I am still able to walk a few kilometers, and on the other hand that this little dog is getting bigger fast. She looks now like a half-sized version of the dog she will become.

Attachments

• WP_20130901_002.jpg
    WP_20130901_002.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 2

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Got roped in to helping a friend install windows today.

Well, it' actually a door with windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb