WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Im on a one man mission to revive the PC market - Anyone want a custom built Windows 8 touchscreen coffee table?

Everyone should have one in their living room - not only is it a functional piece of furniture, its a design statement and pushes Microsofts vision of computers in the home.

Well that's my angle anyway...

That is seriously one of the most awesome ideas i've ever heard.

I'd pay a lot of money for a Windows 8 touch screen coffee table! :D

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I tried to get Six Guns on my 520, as i played it on my iPod Touch and my brothers iPad and really enjoyed it.

I have 1.6GB free and it says i cannot install it. Can someone confirm how much space does it take up?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Im on a one man mission to revive the PC market - Anyone want a custom built Windows 8 touchscreen coffee table?

Everyone should have one in their living room - not only is it a functional piece of furniture, its a design statement and pushes Microsofts vision of computers in the home.

^The ORIGINAL Microsoft Surface.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

^The ORIGINAL Microsoft Surface.

(Fun fact: the original Surface is now PixelSense: Welcome to Microsoft PixelSense)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Im taking orders for design and builds - already got 3 on my books :eek:)

Good concept. It wouldn't go very well in my place. I think the fans and the lights are a bit over the top for me. :p

On a more serious note (engineering comments comming): Considering the air volume you have in those areas are those fans really necessary? Did you do a heat study? Taking a stab you would probably only need air vents and maybe a small fan.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Good concept. It wouldn't go very well in my place. I think the fans and the lights are a bit over the top for me. :p

On a more serious note (engineering comments comming): Considering the air volume you have in those areas are those fans really necessary? Did you do a heat study? Taking a stab you would probably only need air vents and maybe a small fan.

Well the lights aren't really necessary - plus ive got grey tinted glass on top now so the lights are all more subdues.

As for the airflow question - I chose fans that big for a couple of reasons.
1. Bigger fans means more airflow at a lower RPM. At the moment I can keep the fans at 300rpm and not have the any of the temperatures for the board, cpu or gpu increase by more than 5 degrees under heavy load - none of the core temps go above 40deg. Having the fans that low makes It practically silent even under load.
2. Also allows for a bit of future proofing I intend to add another GPU and crossfire them and bump up the ram to 32gb at some point. I would expect that even with the fans at 500rpm which is still relatively quiet the core temps will continue to stay low.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well the lights aren't really necessary - plus ive got grey tinted glass on top now so the lights are all more subdues.

As for the airflow question - I chose fans that big for a couple of reasons.
1. Bigger fans means more airflow at a lower RPM. At the moment I can keep the fans at 300rpm and not have the any of the temperatures for the board, cpu or gpu increase by more than 5 degrees under heavy load - none of the core temps go above 40deg. Having the fans that low makes It practically silent even under load.
2. Also allows for a bit of future proofing I intend to add another GPU and crossfire them and bump up the ram to 32gb at some point. I would expect that even with the fans at 500rpm which is still relatively quiet the core temps will continue to stay low.

It's hard tell from the pictures the exact size of things. In one instance it looks like there's a good air volume but from another it just looks a little larger than a PC case. What's the card in the other side of the table?

Typically when you're dealing with cooling you take into consideration a few things. I've worked with electrical cabinet cooling and with high powered electronics so have some knowledge. I was curious if the extra air volume you have and the fact that the power supply and other heat creating components is in a different section might have been enough to reduce the requirement of the size of fans or remove the need entirely since you basically have a lot of ventilation there. Since most PC cases are fairly tight large fans are need to move the hot air out quickly. In this instance, just going by the pics, I don't see the need.

Mind you the fans blowing on you in the winter time may create a nice heater. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Mac OS X just has so much wasted screen space. And there are so many stupid things I probably find only stupid because I don't know better.

But next week I'll get my own Windows machine. Soon, soon.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Mac OS X just has so much wasted screen space. And there are so many stupid things I probably find only stupid because I don't know better.

But next week I'll get my own Windows machine. Soon, soon.

I've never used a Mac so have absolutely no idea. I know most Mac owners love their comptuers though.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

It's hard tell from the pictures the exact size of things. In one instance it looks like there's a good air volume but from another it just looks a little larger than a PC case. What's the card in the other side of the table?

Typically when you're dealing with cooling you take into consideration a few things. I've worked with electrical cabinet cooling and with high powered electronics so have some knowledge. I was curious if the extra air volume you have and the fact that the power supply and other heat creating components is in a different section might have been enough to reduce the requirement of the size of fans or remove the need entirely since you basically have a lot of ventilation there. Since most PC cases are fairly tight large fans are need to move the hot air out quickly. In this instance, just going by the pics, I don't see the need.

Mind you the fans blowing on you in the winter time may create a nice heater. :p

They are 200mm fans.

I probably didn't need them but the truth of the matter is I wanted an excuse to buy a touchscreen fan controller :p

Oh and the board on the other side is an xbox 360.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

In other news, there's this:

Nokia is dead, Newkia rises from its ashes | ZDNet

I wonder if Nokia can sue them because the name sounds too close to theirs.

They cant sue over the name - but its incredibly arrogant of that guy to think he can just take nokia employees and recreate nokia phones. He will end up throwing millions of dollars in patent licensing at Microsoft. As a startup he has nothing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They cant sue over the name - but its incredibly arrogant of that guy to think he can just take nokia employees and recreate nokia phones. He will end up throwing millions of dollars in patent licensing at Microsoft. As a startup he has nothing.

Well I highly doubt he'll make the exact same phones as Nokia, that would be a stupid move. Though it's getting harder to come up with new designs for phones and tablets. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. If the quality is good and the price is right they could possibly sell well.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They are 200mm fans.

I probably didn't need them but the truth of the matter is I wanted an excuse to buy a touchscreen fan controller :p

Oh and the board on the other side is an xbox 360.

LOL! Ah, I would probably have done the same. I understand why I didn't recognize the other bit as I've never seen the 360 out of it's shell.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So, the Nokia branding is being dropped ��

Do you have a link stating that? I thought they had it for the next 10 years. I expect it to go prior to that but I don't see a reason why they wouldn't use it for a bit first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel