WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Now ignoring Apple. I was curious. What do you feel is missing the most from WP that you feel would make it appealing to the masses? Most WP owners seem pretty happy, some less than others but it just seems something is holding it back. What's your thought on that?

There are too many things I find just don't work properly music, video, notifications, some settings -all minor annoyances on there own, some people can live with them some cant. Its an OS in progress as is most of MS offerings software wise. I accepted that a long time ago with the PC OS's Its the way MS have always been.

The software always gets there in the end though which is why I don't tend to grumble much about it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I know someone will have their gun pointed at me when i say this but....

Apps, sure there are some excellent ones, but to please core gamers (not people who Jetpack Joyride all the time, people who would play Modern Combat or something similar) There is a lacking in apps.

Most of the apps i wish to use are on WP, but for many others this would be a issue.

LOL! I don' think you'll get too much disagreement.

So apps and high end games? Nothing else?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Here's just a commentary.

I was reading about our least favourite company - Apple and their new shinny device - iPhone 5S and 5C and what I find interesting is there appears to be a lot a general hate of Apple these days. I've come to the conclusion that they may have peeked and that the 5C is rather insulting but I guess we'll see what the numbers say. On top of that I can't help but be reminded of the time the Steve Jobs left Apple the last time. Apple took a nose dive and almost died. This time however Steve isn't coming back. I'm curious to see if they keep being accountant focused and less RD based what's going to happen to the company. People appear to be getting bored with Apple it seems. I personally have nothing against Apple. I don't want any of their devices personally as I find them overpriced and too much of a status symbol still. So it will be interesting to see what happens with iPhone 6. If it's just the iPhone 5 again I think they're going to start a decline that they won't escape from.

Now ignoring Apple. I was curious. What do you feel is missing the most from WP that you feel would make it appealing to the masses? Most WP owners seem pretty happy, some less than others but it just seems something is holding it back. What's your thought on that?

Yup, I think that what's happened to Apple is that they had a window to milk the advantage of the iPhone and the window closed with the iPhone 4S - especially in light of the fact that Samsung's Galaxy series appealed to those dissatisfied masses. They're walking down the same road that Nokia, HTC, RIM have done before them. At least Samsung are enough of vultures to try to diversify, because they know what it's like to be middling in the market. Even Samsung too had to scale back estimates of S4 sales. There is a glut in the high end market, for sure.

I don't think WP has to appeal to the masses. They just have to be a viable enough alternative. What needs to happen is to really tackle the new smartphone user market with quality low end models. The 520 was a great start. If the 8S has similar hardware that would have helped too. MSFT needs to push more than camera tech as a reason to use WP8. The better integration between devices is the answer but they need to be quicker and more efficient that Apple at this.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There are too many things I find just don't work properly music, video, notifications, some settings -all minor annoyances on there own, some people can live with them some cant. Its an OS in progress as is most of MS offerings software wise. I accepted that a long time ago with the PC OS's Its the way MS have always been.

The software always gets there in the end though which is why I don't tend to grumble much about it.

Though I agree with you (your last point) I think in the mobile side of things people appear less forgiving and I think they're becomming less forgiving in general. Look at the over reaction to W8.

The OS has been fickle and I didn't know that going in. I was expecting a bit more from MS considering they knew what was out there already. If WP8 was released when Android and iOS were more immature then I think they'd have a greater takeup. Now with a mobile industry rather mature they needed to release a ready OS, not one they have to fiddle with to perfect over the next few years.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't think WP has to appeal to the masses. They just have to be a viable enough alternative.

I have to disagree with you here. What's the point of making low end hardware if you're purpose isn't to appeal to the masses? Viable alternative, yes but preferred would be a better statement.

What needs to happen is to really tackle the new smartphone user market with quality low end models. The 520 was a great start. If the 8S has similar hardware that would have helped too. MSFT needs to push more than camera tech as a reason to use WP8. The better integration between devices is the answer but they need to be quicker and more efficient that Apple at this.

They need to make their OS what people and businesses want. Even though there are companies taking up WP because of some of the issues I know of they'll never be popular with corporations unless they fix certain things. There's simply not enough control over the phone to make large businesses happy. They need to get their act together on this to become a viable alternative to BB.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Though I agree with you (your last point) I think in the mobile side of things people appear less forgiving and I think they're becomming less forgiving in general. Look at the over reaction to W8.

The OS has been fickle and I didn't know that going in. I was expecting a bit more from MS considering they knew what was out there already. If WP8 was released when Android and iOS were more immature then I think they'd have a greater takeup. Now with a mobile industry rather mature they needed to release a ready OS, not one they have to fiddle with to perfect over the next few years.

People overreact. Period.

I don't think MS could have put out a finished OS even if they had another year. People want too much, they want everything and that's just not obtainable. If you look at the progression of WP you can see where they are going and yes you could argue they have been too slow in getting to where they need to be but they have followed a logical progression with the software, hardware and system architecture available. They have also been different and created something completely new that aims to unify all there systems. When WP7 released in a break from the traditional rows of icons from 6.5, the modern UI style of W8 hadn't really been talked about. They took a phone OS and extended the vision across its product range which is a pretty bold step when you think about it. They have been on a mission and 8.1 is the first proper milestone in my opinion. Unification across all devices has been the aim and it looks like they could do it.

In all fairness they have been pretty frequent with the OS updates too - No other system has 4 month update cycles. WP8 isn't where it needs to be granted and that's reflected in its marketshare. Its almost there though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I am playing a bit of devils advocate here. I own a WP and don't have plans to change unless they really stuff WP8.1.

I understand where you're coming from completely. There was a time where MS could take it's time and yes I know they've had frequent updates, necessary ones I might mention due to the incomplete OS. However they have to deal with shareholders and other things. If the market share doesn't increase and the take up remains dismal then a company has to ask itself if it's worth continuing. How much do you invest in a product that doesn't seem to be going anywhere? That's the question and the reason why I was asking my question. Why are people still balking at WP? I have a guy here at my work who is planning on switching cause WP doesn't meet his needs. He's quite disappointed with it. I could have easily been him if my needs were more than what they are I probably would have ditched WP too.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You say that about pleasing the shareholders but the xbox division did nothing but cost money for its lifecycle but it was the most widely bought console. Yes WP has been poor to date in terms of marketshare but the idea of it "going somewhere" is there. Obviously if it all fails after 8.1 then maybe the new CEO will have to take a look at it. But that's one hell of a massive write off for MS with the years of development costs and acquisitions of mobile technology. I think at this point MS have too much invested in WP for it to be dropped.

At this moment in time WP isn't for everyone and there are people I have recommended not to get a wp purely because it wouldn't suit what they need. But that will always happen which is why its good to have the other 2 OS's to fall back on. Right now between the 3 of them people can get what they want and need.

But looking forward and what makes me really excited about owning MS devices is that in around 6 months time my phone, tablet, PC and xbox will all be on the same page. When that happens, hopefully its going to be glorious and should give WP all the marketshare it needs

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

But looking forward and what makes me really excited about owning MS devices is that in around 6 months time my phone, tablet, PC and xbox will all be on the same page. When that happens, hopefully its going to be glorious and should give WP all the marketshare it needs

6 months? Maybe they release Windows Phone 8.1 in this time frame and the Xbox One in Switzerland ;-)

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

So why do you think there's not much take up with WP then? What stops people getting one?

The main reason are advertising it okay but needs to be more intense, in the UK you get a few adverts and mainly just sponsors from Nokia for a show and the cast have them.

Two customers are afraid of the unknown a commercial showing the basic of the OS could persuade those unsure.

Three awareness but that due to advertising and phone shops most shop I go into the WP devices are at the back of the store.

Sales rep should ask what there planning to use the phone for and show all the platforms for the user to decide.

WP missing stuff like notification center people will complain until items like these are on and not having a good music player doesn't help.

Misinformation IS THE BIGGEST ISSUES THERE IS! For example cnet video review of the 1020 misinformation!

And brand awareness which is improving alot thanks to Lumia.

However there are lots of good stuff but these are what I think are the issues.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

The main reason are advertising it okay but needs to be more intense, in the UK you get a few adverts and mainly just sponsors from Nokia for a show and the cast have them.

Two customers are afraid of the unknown a commercial showing the basic of the OS could persuade those unsure.

Three awareness but that due to advertising and phone shops most shop I go into the WP devices are at the back of the store.

Sales rep should ask what there planning to use the phone for and show all the platforms for the user to decide.

WP missing stuff like notification center people will complain until items like these are on and not having a good music player doesn't help.

Misinformation IS THE BIGGEST ISSUES THERE IS! For example cnet video review of the 1020 misinformation!

And brand awareness which is improving alot thanks to Lumia.

However there are lots of good stuff but these are what I think are the issues.

BP - that's the most sustained sensibility in one of your posts I have seen since page 1. :winktongue:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Let's hope you're right. Let's also hope the carriers don't stuff the updates for people as well. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte