WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I have to disagree with you here. What's the point of making low end hardware if you're purpose isn't to appeal to the masses? Viable alternative, yes but preferred would be a better statement.

They need to make their OS what people and businesses want. Even though there are companies taking up WP because of some of the issues I know of they'll never be popular with corporations unless they fix certain things. There's simply not enough control over the phone to make large businesses happy. They need to get their act together on this to become a viable alternative to BB.

Remember, it is the low end models that move sales. Apple gets away their stick because they're not trying to sell iPhones in lower end markets, as in new iPhone models....they do that by default with supporting older hardware. In the league end market, people want stuff that works well, looks good and doesn't cost a ton. That's why android sells.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Remember, it is the low end models that move sales. Apple gets away their stick because they're not trying to sell iPhones in lower end markets, as in new iPhone models....they do that by default with supporting older hardware. In the league end market, people want stuff that works well, looks good and doesn't cost a ton. That's why android sells.

I agree with you there. What I was disagreeing with was the statement that you don't need to make phones appealing to the masses. You only make low end hardware if you're trying to convince people to take that leap to a smartphone, that means appealing to more people. So you're trying to say to someone, don't buy that crappy low end Android phone, buy this great WP that performs as well as the higher end ones just not all the flashy bits. WP will have difficulty appealing to those who want a flashy phone the moment simply due to the iPhone and Android dominance so yes go after the lower end. If Nokia didn't decide to make WP but stayed with Meego my thinking would have been for them to cater to the low end market with their phones first then go after the high end once they had a good base. I'm thinking emerging markets like China and India here. That's what I would have done anyway, though whether that's smart business thinking I don't know.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

good morning all ..... well ive been up since 8 but I was doing some French homework and playing a game on my ipod :winktongue: so looks like you guys are talking about something I have to catch up too I will be sitting here looking on how this goes :smile: oh snaps it looks like you guys reached the 700th post make and it looks like N_larue reach it first :smile:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

The only issue with the 1520 is the price but hopefully now that MS is in charge it may go down faster in price from when it released...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

The only issue with the 1520 is the price but hopefully now that MS is in charge it may go down faster in price from when it released...
but I thought that the deal hasn't gone though yet? I mean don't they have to do legal stuff and boring stuff till they can actually acquire Nokia

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The 1520 is the 6" phablet right? I don't expect it to be cheap. I do hope it has good specs though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm going to have more cupcakes tomorrow... o_O

Along with that hamburger I mentioned I was going to get. :D

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's a food festival in the town center so I'll be sampling a few foods and drinks and probably buying stuff. I'm such a food snob. :p

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you there. What I was disagreeing with was the statement that you don't need to make phones appealing to the masses. You only make low end hardware if you're trying to convince people to take that leap to a smartphone, that means appealing to more people. So you're trying to say to someone, don't buy that crappy low end Android phone, buy this great WP that performs as well as the higher end ones just not all the flashy bits. WP will have difficulty appealing to those who want a flashy phone the moment simply due to the iPhone and Android dominance so yes go after the lower end. If Nokia didn't decide to make WP but stayed with Meego my thinking would have been for them to cater to the low end market with their phones first then go after the high end once they had a good base. I'm thinking emerging markets like China and India here. That's what I would have done anyway, though whether that's smart business thinking I don't know.

I get where you're coming from. The thing is that n the hgh end market, you've got to have distinguishing features.

Android is the same OS on all hardware chassis. WP is the same OS on all hardware chassis. iOS isn't because you get the OS that's optimized for your hardware. This means that hardware based features gets left out and you either shut up or upgrade.

So because of that we know WP on a Ativ S runs the same as it would on a 521, for the most part. That's why hardware distinctions and apps /OEM add-one matter at the high end. Nokia is pushing its camera tech in the high end for WP. I think HTC needs to push audio tech (a damn equalizer would help!) in the WP high end and tweak its camera. Samsung can tweak its camera but also push screen size and apps focused on taking advantage of the expandable memory.

Again, low end models drive bottom lines. That's why the best WP8 out is the 520/521. If HTC had been smarter the 8S would be the 2nd best device, but they put too small internal memory in there.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have to share this hysterical picture. I'm sorry if it offends anyone but it's just too funny not to share. This is an actual topiary outside a Premier Inn.

Premier-Inn-topiaries-5932283.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss