WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

What would you like to know about biology?

I have no idea on what level the knowledge of you all is. Should I start with something basic like the fundamental difference between bacteria and viruses, or something more advanced like technical details about cloning in bacteria?

It was very warm this morning. Warmer than the entire day yesterday, it was almost to worm for long sleeves on my run, and it was still dark when I started.

Difference between bacteria and viruses would be interesting.

It's been quite chilly here in the mornings and the wind has a chill to it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah you win -35C is too damn cold. Im ok with this in between stuff though.

Damn, just getting cold thinking of that! LOL! You typically get this cold spell at the end of January in Toronto. It drops to about -20c or lower (that's a high btw) and just sits there for about 2 weeks. Then you add gusty winds from the north and the 'feels like' is something around -30-40C. We had one bad winter where it hit -35C then added wind. They were warning people to be careful when walking outside.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Thing is after living in Australia for a few years and getting older. My tolerance has dropped significantly. It's usually the damp chill weather that bothers me more than the actual cold stuff. I'm very happy to be out when it's snowing and -10C. It's like that in Australia in the 'winter' time. The air is very damp and chilly.

Yep, except its never hit -10C down here, and it never will.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Difference between bacteria and viruses would be interesting.

The two main pathogens are of course bacteria and viruses. And I hear people often confuse them or use them as synonyms. This breaks my heart as a biologist.

First, bacteria are living organisms, they grow almost in every imaginable place on earth and it's estimated that the bacterial biomass exceeds the biomass of all animals by far. Viruses on the other hand are no organisms. They are very small capsules carrying few genes, derived from animal cells. A virus can not survive on its own, it needs always a host.

Bacteria have an advantage growing in humans and thereby making us sick, as by doing this they can extend to a new niche. Viruses replicate because they can replicate, it could be called an evolutionary mistake, but it is thought that viruses can influence and advance evolution.

Viruses also act very differently on our body than bacteria. While (actually very few, but they matter) bacteria can invade an organism and evade the immune system while growing with nutrients from the surrounding tissue, viruses bring their DNA or RNA into a cell and take over the cellular mechanisms to amplify their own proteins.

So if we have cold, or suffering from influenza, there are always viruses involved. Viruses can't be treated with antibiotics, antibiotics are by definition substances that inhibit or kill bacteria.

Well, I should go to work, if there are any questions or if I have missed something, just tell me ;-)

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

There was only one type of Biology that ever interested me :winktongue:. Always found it incredibly boring in school but that may have been down to the teacher. I was always more into Physics and Chemistry.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The two main pathogens are of course bacteria and viruses. And I hear people often confuse them or use them as synonyms. This breaks my heart as a biologist.

First, bacteria are living organisms, they grow almost in every imaginable place on earth and it's estimated that the bacterial biomass exceeds the biomass of all animals by far. Viruses on the other hand are no organisms. They are very small capsules carrying few genes, derived from animal cells. A virus can not survive on its own, it needs always a host.

Bacteria have an advantage growing in humans and thereby making us sick, as by doing this they can extend to a new niche. Viruses replicate because they can replicate, it could be called an evolutionary mistake, but it is thought that viruses can influence and advance evolution.

Viruses also act very differently on our body than bacteria. While (actually very few, but they matter) bacteria can invade an organism and evade the immune system while growing with nutrients from the surrounding tissue, viruses bring their DNA or RNA into a cell and take over the cellular mechanisms to amplify their own proteins.

So if we have cold, or suffering from influenza, there are always viruses involved. Viruses can't be treated with antibiotics, antibiotics are by definition substances that inhibit or kill bacteria.

Well, I should go to work, if there are any questions or if I have missed something, just tell me ;-)

That was great! :D Thanks!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I think BlackBerry is pretty much toast and will soon either be bought out or die.

I think collapse will probably happen - Who would possibly want to buy them out? They have nothing really to offer the big players that would have enough cash to make the purchase..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte