WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

@martinmc78

Remember a while back when I was saying that people are very quick to discard something when it doesn't seem to work well for them immediately?

I found this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/242096-installed-windows-8-1-weekend.html

Which I see you've been on. This is the type of thing I was referring to. Problem is, it's not just users bashing the crap our of MS and leaving horrid comments on articles, it's also the people writing articles doing it. It would seem that unless you're patient, which I'm starting to think is a trait of W8 and WP users, you're going to discard both pretty quick.

It doesn't help when you have two other options, both a lot more mature either. This is the fight that MS has on its hands.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Getting ready for work. Still drooling over seeing that Ativ S for $250 on expansys USA.

I know enough time has passed and there are many threads on this topic, but I'm actually glad MSFT bought Nokia. Had a friend I saw on Sunday with a Lumia 820 and he was saying how MSFT will destroy Nokia. Not sure many people realize Nokia is very old and used to make rubber at one point. As far as the phones go, it was better that they bought them anyways. Now what needs to happen is timely updates and MSFT giving HTC and Samsung the ability to add on stuff on top of the OS. For example I would love to see MSFT open up the possibility of LED notifications.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Remember a while back when I was saying that people are very quick to discard something when it doesn't seem to work well for them immediately?

Windows 8 really does give me nothing over Windows 7, except some minor tweaks that don't affect the Metro surface. Everything Metro related is just horrible and useless in my opinion. It's not that I don't like Metro, I love Metro on my phone, but on a productive Windows Desktop or Laptop it's just a pain.

Maybe it would work for me on a Tablet.

And concerning the quick to discard thought, I'm using Windows 8 since the developer release.

So I'm looking forward to Windows 8.1 in October, but I fear that my expectations are just too high.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

@martinmc78

I found this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/242096-installed-windows-8-1-weekend.html

Which I see you've been on. This is the type of thing I was referring to. Problem is, it's not just users bashing the crap our of MS and leaving horrid comments on articles, it's also the people writing articles doing it. It would seem that unless you're patient, which I'm starting to think is a trait of W8 and WP users, you're going to discard both pretty quick.

It doesn't help when you have two other options, both a lot more mature either. This is the fight that MS has on its hands.

Yeah I jumped on it last night and saw that people were considering the guy a troll which may well have been the case. However if he had messed things up somehow and just needed pointing in the right direction or a little help then that's more useful to everyone in the long term than making a snap decision and a sarcastic comment.

Although one thing does strike me as odd reading through his responses - he mentions using windows 8 for 8 months but didn't know how to use the share function on the charms bar. Admittedly unless you seek out a tutorial on how to use win8 effectively you wouldn't actually know what things did. However after 8 months of use if you still don't know what you are doing you really should just stick with using a pen and paper.

But as I said when we had the discussion before nothing that comes out of MS works perfectly first time.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Getting ready for work. Still drooling over seeing that Ativ S for $250 on expansys USA.

I know enough time has passed and there are many threads on this topic, but I'm actually glad MSFT bought Nokia. Had a friend I saw on Sunday with a Lumia 820 and he was saying how MSFT will destroy Nokia. Not sure many people realize Nokia is very old and used to make rubber at one point. As far as the phones go, it was better that they bought them anyways. Now what needs to happen is timely updates and MSFT giving HTC and Samsung the ability to add on stuff on top of the OS. For example I would love to see MSFT open up the possibility of LED notifications.

This made me think of something that's been bugging me and you allowed the thought to crystallize a bit. Now personally I don't really care that Nokia got bought out. It's their own fault for falling asleep at the wheel. I have a bit of a closer connection to all this as my wife is half Finnish, I've lived in Finland and we have relatives in Nokia town.

Now when Nokia messed up everyone was quick to point out how they were doing things the same way as before and that's the reason why they were losing market, etc.. Thing is though when you point out that MS is doing the exact same thing as Nokia, bringing an incomplete OS to market, expecting people to understand that it isn't perfect, in an already mature market, you get people saying, oh it's MS, they know what they're doing, it's the way they do things. It's a marathon not a sprint, etc. So why is it that when Nokia did it, everyone freaked on them and abandoned ship, however MS does it and everyone thinks it's fine? Is it cause MS had other business to shore up WP or something? Do people think they're too big to fail? It's something that's bothered me for some time.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Windows 8 really does give me nothing over Windows 7, except some minor tweaks that don't affect the Metro surface. Everything Metro related is just horrible and useless in my opinion. It's not that I don't like Metro, I love Metro on my phone, but on a productive Windows Desktop or Laptop it's just a pain.

Maybe it would work for me on a Tablet.

And concerning the quick to discard thought, I'm using Windows 8 since the developer release.

So I'm looking forward to Windows 8.1 in October, but I fear that my expectations are just too high.

I did point out that those who like WP and W8 tend to be paitent. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I did point out that those who like WP and W8 tend to be paitent. :p

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated since I had to explain Windows 8 to my friend yesterday, and the more she got confused the more my dislike increased ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated since I had to explain Windows 8 to my friend yesterday, and the more she got confused the more my dislike increased ;-)

It's strange. I don't find W8 that confusing at all. Hmmm... Once I've set up the apps I want to open certain files I was fine.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This made me think of something that's been bugging me and you allowed the thought to crystallize a bit. Now personally I don't really care that Nokia got bought out. It's their own fault for falling asleep at the wheel. I have a bit of a closer connection to all this as my wife is half Finnish, I've lived in Finland and we have relatives in Nokia town.

Now when Nokia messed up everyone was quick to point out how they were doing things the same way as before and that's the reason why they were losing market, etc.. Thing is though when you point out that MS is doing the exact same thing as Nokia, bringing an incomplete OS to market, expecting people to understand that it isn't perfect, in an already mature market, you get people saying, oh it's MS, they know what they're doing, it's the way they do things. It's a marathon not a sprint, etc. So why is it that when Nokia did it, everyone freaked on them and abandoned ship, however MS does it and everyone thinks it's fine? Is it cause MS had other business to shore up WP or something? Do people think they're too big to fail? It's something that's bothered me for some time.

Because people will always be apologists depending on where their preference lies. I liked Symbian, I liked what I saw of Meego. Nokia, Moto, Sony and RIM fell asleep. Symbian was never to be a true touch screen device friendly OS. Moto and Sony fell asleep when,people started moving away from feature phones in the high end and mid range markets. RIM was plain stubborn. I can argue it is Google that has killed HTC, in that once Google took to focus on UI design, it took away HTC's strength of filling the void of covering up and adding functionality to how ugly anything before Gingerbread was on Android. Companies now have to think on their feet but plan very well. Samsung knows this, and that's why they have got their hands in everything, searching for the next "big hit".

My point here is that the market is cyclical. MSFT has staying power only because of resources. Can WP fail? Absolutely. We saw what happened to WebOS, arguably one of the best UIs in a long time. I'm only hopeful MSFT succeeds because competition benefits the end user. Plus I don't care to walk around with status symbols like the Galaxy S series or the iPhone in my pocket.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

It's strange. I don't find W8 that confusing at all. Hmmm... Once I've set up the apps I want to open certain files I was fine.

She used Windows XP and then Windows 7. And she really doesn't care about these things.

So until I explained to her how to open the option menu on the right side with the touch pad (non-touch-screen laptop) and then find the button to turn the computer off or restart she was already put off. Then I had to explain how the Metro surface works differently from everything she had before (right click opens a context menu at the bottom of the screen instead at the same position for example) and the difference between the Metro apps and the real Windows and how they are not connected (desktop apps are on the task bar, Metro apps are on the left side) and how they are installed and uninstalled from different places. At that point I think she gave up and told me she would just use the the desktop like on Windows 7 ;-)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

What helped me get around windows 8 non touch is the Windows key shortcuts. For the first week of using it I had them pasted into one note and snapped to a third. You don't need them all obviously but it saves a lot of time if you learn the most important ones.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

What helped me get around windows 8 non touch is the Windows key shortcuts. For the first week of using it I had them pasted into one note and snapped to a third. You don't need them all obviously but it saves a lot of time if you learn the most important ones.

For me I created a one-button shortcut to turn my computer off, so I never have to touch any Metro related stuff. As I don't see any sense in Metro apps with hilariously huge buttons and incredible little information on a 24 inch screen, I started to use Windows 8 like Windows 7.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

For me I created a one-button shortcut to turn my computer off, so I never have to touch any Metro related stuff. As I don't see any sense in Metro apps with hilariously huge buttons and incredible little information on a 24 inch screen, I started to use Windows 8 like Windows 7.

Hmm I really don't get peoples issues with the Metro UI - I have all my work software that runs in desktop mode pinned along with all my other desktop apps in one group. I like the fact that everything is there right in front of me and I also have a 24 inch screen. I find it really quite disappointing after using windows 8 for a while to come into work every day and use windows 7. I have actually got rainmaker installed on my desktop to at least make it look like windows 8.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Hmm I really don't get peoples issues with the Metro UI - I have all my work software that runs in desktop mode pinned along with all my other desktop apps in one group. I like the fact that everything is there right in front of me and I also have a 24 inch screen. I find it really quite disappointing after using windows 8 for a while to come into work every day and use windows 7. I have actually got rainmaker installed on my desktop to at least make it look like windows 8.

There is just nothing I need on the Metro surface. For example, the MSN weather data is a joke for Switzerland, the News are never from the sources I trust, most of the other Metro apps are really dumbed down and I prefer to look things up in the browser. It's much faster and I get really the information I want. Metro is just a waste of space in my eyes. I come into work everyday using Windows 7 and I think it's so much more comfortable to use.

But luckily, different people have different tastes, and maybe I get to like Windows 8 more with 8.1. Useful weather data on this new big tile, I'd probably like that.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

There is just nothing I need on the Metro surface. For example, the MSN weather data is a joke for Switzerland, the News are never from the sources I trust, most of the other Metro apps are really dumbed down and I prefer to look things up in the browser. It's much faster and I get really the information I want. Metro is just a waste of space in my eyes. I come into work everyday using Windows 7 and I think it's so much more comfortable to use.

But luckily, different people have different tastes, and maybe I get to like Windows 8 more with 8.1. Useful weather data on this new big tile, I'd probably like that.

Fair points and yes its a case of different strokes for different folks.

Ahh weather apps - you want to know what I use?

My eyes and my body. Look or step outside and I can probably tell pretty quickly what its going to be like the rest of the day. Weathermen cant predict the weather with any more certainty or better than that themselves so why bother with them

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

My eyes and my body. Look or step outside and I can probably tell pretty quickly what its going to be like the rest of the day. Weathermen cant predict the weather with any more certainty or better than that themselves so why bother with them

Doesn't really help when planning ahead though ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb