WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Did you know there was a 8" floppy? I've actually seen one. I remember the 5" and the 3.5". I hated them both. LOL! I was so happy to see the floppy drive die.

I remember those 8 inch beasts they used to come in reinforced cardboard sleeves that made them look like records. I miss 3.5" disks they had their uses. I had a little toolkit that had lots of juicy programmes on it for breaking passwords, revealing usernames, showing user use history and some rather amusing boot programs that caused temporary havoc. Cant use them nowadays of course - as soon as you put a USB stick in with a .exe file on it most antivirus programmes go ape.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

I remember those 8 inch beasts they used to come in reinforced cardboard sleeves that made them look like records. I miss 3.5" disks they had their uses. I had a little toolkit that had lots of juicy programmes on it for breaking passwords, revealing usernames, showing user use history and some rather amusing boot programs that caused temporary havoc. Cant use them nowadays of course - as soon as you put a USB stick in with a .exe file on it most antivirus programmes go ape.

Glad to see you swinging swords :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Antivirus programs are way too sensitive these days. Just the slightest hint of something wrong and they go batty. At work we get a weekly scan. Totally pointless, slows the machine down and is a right pain in the ***. Even worse when you go on holiday you get it twice that week when you come back.

As for floppy disk, yes they had their uses, for some fun and diagnostics, but I prefer the ease of a USB or portable hard drive. I'll even take DVD-ROM over floppy. Have you ever had to install Office or Windows off a floppy? You'll learn to hate the damn things.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I only use the standard Microsoft antivirus. All these commercially available solutions slow down my system and annoy with stupid notifications all the time.

Just to recapitulate what you missed from me: I finally got Microsoft support to buy Office again for me, I installed it and Outlook 2013 was as terrible as ever. Only half of the stuff works, while everything is perfect on Office 2010. But as hundreds of other people have the same issues and bugs, I finally made everything work more or less.

And I ate tons of cake yesterday, and also today, because someone of the lab brought birthday cake.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Antivirus programs are way too sensitive these days. Just the slightest hint of something wrong and they go batty. At work we get a weekly scan. Totally pointless, slows the machine down and is a right pain in the ***. Even worse when you go on holiday you get it twice that week when you come back.

As for floppy disk, yes they had their uses, for some fun and diagnostics, but I prefer the ease of a USB or portable hard drive. I'll even take DVD-ROM over floppy. Have you ever had to install Office or Windows off a floppy? You'll learn to hate the damn things.

Yeah - I remember doing a 14 disk installation of windows back in the day.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I only use the standard Microsoft antivirus. All these commercially available solutions slow down my system and annoy with stupid notifications all the time.

Agree. Hate the commercial virus packages.
Just to recapitulate what you missed from me: I finally got Microsoft support to buy Office again for me, I installed it and Outlook 2013 was as terrible as ever. Only half of the stuff works, while everything is perfect on Office 2010. But as hundreds of other people have the same issues and bugs, I finally made everything work more or less.

What bugs? I haven't had any issues at all with 2013 yet.

And I ate tons of cake yesterday, and also today, because someone of the lab brought birthday cake.

I still try to avoid cake and sweets as much as possible but over the week I slightly indulged.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I just upgraded my mobile phone services. So I got unlimited everything so I'm streaming some music. I'm listening to a radio station from Toronto that I haven't listened to for 10 years. Unfortunately I have the morning show on. I wanted to listen to it to hear some music. No music yet....

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I just upgraded my mobile phone services. So I got unlimited everything so I'm streaming some music. I'm listening to a radio station from Toronto that I haven't listened to for 10 years. Unfortunately I have the morning show on. I wanted to listen to it to hear some music. No music yet....

I got unlimited internet to it a shame the village hasn't got 3G!!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I got unlimited internet to it a shame the village hasn't got 3G!!!

That sucks. Time to move! :p

I work in what can only be described as a Faraday cage. The connection keeps dropping. At least I'm getting some music now. However it's stuff I've heard before. I'm waiting to hear something new....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Music heard so far.... old Pearl Jam, old Queens of the Stoneage, old Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sigh...

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

That sucks. Time to move! :p

I work in what can only be described as a Faraday cage. The connection keeps dropping. At least I'm getting some music now. However it's stuff I've heard before. I'm waiting to hear something new....

Yeah well that easy it where I work that I cant access my unlimited data so looking for another job nearer to were I live where there is 3G!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05