WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I was going to post something different however it took a long time to find a decent signal!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What does organic mean in this context in your language?

In general terms, organic means grown without the use of pesticides or other chemicals. I know there is a lot of 'ideas' to what organic means and you being a biologist I know you'll have some technical term for it. :p

In general , to me, it means more naturally grown food, better treated animals and better tasting product. I know people say you can't tell the difference by taste but I like to believe there is. Also I know 'organic' doesn't always mean animals get treated well but I do my best to buy food from producers that do and would love to be able to do so more easily.

I think better farming practices are needed and a reduction on our meat consumption is required. I'm also not against GMO cause I know that most of the people against it really don't know much about it, they're attacking a company mostly but generalize the 'harms' of GMO. Most of these people don't realise that most of our 'regular' food is a form of GMO. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

In general terms, organic means grown without the use of pesticides or other chemicals. I know there is a lot of 'ideas' to what organic means and you being a biologist I know you'll have some technical term for it. :p

In general , to me, it means more naturally grown food, better treated animals and better tasting product. I know people say you can't tell the difference by taste but I like to believe there is. Also I know 'organic' doesn't always mean animals get treated well but I do my best to buy food from producers that do and would love to be able to do so more easily.

I think better farming practices are needed and a reduction on our meat consumption is required. I'm also not against GMO cause I know that most of the people against it really don't know much about it, they're attacking a company mostly but generalize the 'harms' of GMO. Most of these people don't realise that most of our 'regular' food is a form of GMO. :p

Okay, in this case I actually got it right. We use the term "Bio" in the German language for the same. :)

I don't have any health concerns regarding GMOs. However from an ecological point of view, GMOs can be very dangerous. Modified plants that grow better and faster under worse conditions could have an advantage over the natural flora, similar to invading species. This means that in my opinion GMOs should be strictly regulated and tested to a high extend in this regard. Also there are some ethical issues with copyrights on crops, or plants that can't reproduce only so Syngenta and the like can charge every year for new seeds. But still, to feed our overpopulation, GMOs are most likely necessary.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

If I'd post this article in any other thread, the people here would burn me like a witch.

Microsoft's Surface 2: New tablet, same problems

But apart from the teasing introduction into the article (only a hardcore fans would get mad at this, but people here sometimes behave like Justin Bieber fans instead of a tech community), I think it's well written and sums up a lot of problems. And I still like Engadget, it has good reviews, quite a lot of Windows Phone news, sometimes even a long time before WPC, and the live blogs are great as well.

Though I agree with some aspects of the article I have to say that I don't like the way it's written.

So it would appear that the biggest issue with the Windows RT tablet is the name. If they would have just called Surface RT or something and dropped the Windows name and maybe got rid of the ability to use desktop mode (not sure what the desktop mode is for) maybe there would be less confusion and people would understand it as a tablet rather than some reduced version of Windows.

It seems at this stage people don't understand the integration thinking that MS has and it's going to be a while before people will accept it.

The last issue of course is apps. I think that will continue to be the down side of both WP and RT. Until the apps are available people will avoid it. I know 3rd parties are great but people want the name brand. They want to say, yes I have 'x' app. Image, image and more image. Sad but true.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Okay, in this case I actually got it right. We use the term "Bio" in the German language for the same. :)

I don't have any health concerns regarding GMOs. However from an ecological point of view, GMOs can be very dangerous. Modified plants that grow better and faster under worse conditions could have an advantage over the natural flora, similar to invading species. This means that in my opinion GMOs should be strictly regulated and tested to a high extend in this regard. Also there are some ethical issues with copyrights on crops, or plants that can't reproduce only so Syngenta and the like can charge every year for new seeds. But still, to feed our overpopulation, GMOs are most likely necessary.

I agree completely with your opinion on GMOs. There is a mix of good and bad in everything.

I had forgotten that Bio is the term used in some countries. I sort of knew that. That could have saved a lot of explanation!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I had forgotten that Bio is the term used in some countries. I sort of knew that. That could have saved a lot of explanation!

I just wanted to be sure if I understand it correctly, that is all. Maybe there had been a different meaning in a special context :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I just wanted to be sure if I understand it correctly, that is all. Maybe there had been a different meaning in a special context :)

I have to admit the therm 'organic' is silly though. Especially for a biologist I bet. Also someone like me who has some knowledge of biology and other sciences. I read popular science books and websites.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

It seems at this stage people don't understand the integration thinking that MS has and it's going to be a while before people will accept it.

I don't care what Microsoft is thinking, they can think whatever they want. Integration is just not here yet. Of course, I can use Metro apps on my Win 8 desktop, but I would never do it as they are obviously made for small touch screens. And that's the end of the whole integration. I can't use RT apps on my Windows Phone, I can't use Windows Phone apps on RT, porting seems not to be as easy as Microsoft made us believe or developers just don't care to do it, I can't use desktop software on RT, I have to buy an app available on Windows Phone and on Windows 8 twice if I want to use it on both devices...

Personally I think iOS and OSX is much more integrated at the moment.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I have to admit the therm 'organic' is silly though. Especially for a biologist I bet. Also someone like me who has some knowledge of biology and other sciences. I read popular science books and websites.

It really is. Just think about chemistry wheres the most aggressive and poisonous reagents available are used to produce organic compounds which can be as aggressive and poisonous ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

BigPaddy as a moderator? What's next? Obama getting the peace Nobel prize?!

LOL!... I'm not sure what's funnier. The fact that Obama actually has a peace prize or the fact that BP could be a moderator.... BP with power... hmm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos