WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Hmm interesting. What laptop did you buy again?

It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. It has a Raillink WiFi PCI card. First I installed the newest driver from the Asus homepage, then I tried out the most current from the Raillink homepage (which was actually a version newer), both didn't have the desired effect.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. It has a Raillink WiFi PCI card. First I installed the newest driver from the Asus homepage, then I tried out the most current from the Raillink homepage (which was actually a version newer), both didn't have the desired effect.

OK dumb question, is the computer on the desk and is it in the same room as the wifi router?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

OK dumb question, is the computer on the desk and is it in the same room as the wifi router?

Signal strength is usually 4 or 5 of 5 bars. It's on the ground, the router in the hallway just outside. I don't have connection issues with my laptop or phone when I'm sitting at the same place.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Signal strength is usually 4 or 5 of 5 bars. It's on the ground, the router in the hallway just outside. I don't have connection issues with my laptop or phone when I'm sitting at the same place.

I've ran into issues with PCI WiFi in the past. Never worked well. I did have interference though I never quite worked out what it was. I ended up getting larger antennas. I did a quick search on your card. It would appear they're not the best things going when it comes to WiFi connectivity. Not sure if you have a friend with a PCI WiFi card just to see if it may be defective. Or possibly a WiFi USB dongle. That way you have something to go back to Asus with and say it's f*cked.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have bought a cable now. Not nice but resilient I hope.

Well cables are always better than WiFi. I would still check with a different WiFi card/dongle to see if it is the card you have or just the signal.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Well cables are always better than WiFi. I would still check with a different WiFi card/dongle to see if it is the card you have or just the signal.

What is the difference between a cable, a cord and a wire? In German it is all the same.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What is the difference between a cable, a cord and a wire? In German it is all the same.

Well being someone from the electrical field I can tell you that it's not straight forward. Usually the terminology is mangled outside the industry.

We typically don't use 'cord' in the industry, that's typically a household term. So you have an appliance cord. Cable/cord are basically the same.

A cable is typically something that either has a single wire (core) or multiple wires (cores). The proper terminology for this is single core cable and multicore cable. In everyday speech the cable usually represents multicore cable. So an Ethernet cable, a power cable for laptops or computers.

When you say 'wire' your typically talking about a single core, usually a small core, like from an Ethernet cable, you have a single core or individual wire. If you have a group of cores you can say wires. We don't use the term wire in the industry as it can be confusing.

Not sure that helped but that's the basics.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well...

I have to read over it a few times again I guess :)

I'll simplfy.

Cord - used in hosehold terminology, means cable. Usually refers to power.

Cable - generic term. In household terminolgoy usually refers to multicore cable.

Wire - usually refers to the individual cores in a multicore cable. In North America you can buy a spool of wire, which is a single core cable typically used for doing low voltage work. The insulation rating is not very high.

In the industry we usually refer to core size, core quantity, cable current rating, cable insulating rating and cable type. We typically don't use the terms cord or wire.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I will simplify further.

cord=cable=wire.

We aren't all electrical engineers.

And saying that your running 4core armoured would just confuse things further.

Although I have to admit I cant remember the last time I used the term cable, cord or wire - I tend to just ask for things by name now

RJ45 or Cat 5 - HDMI - DVI

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I will simplify further.

cord=cable=wire.

We aren't all electrical engineers.

And saying that your running 4core armoured would just confuse things further.

Although I have to admit I cant remember the last time I used the term cable, cord or wire - I tend to just ask for things by name now

RJ45 or Cat 5 - HDMI - DVI

Using specifics is good if you know them. :)

However I would never use wire for cord.

If I wanted to confuse people I would just type 25mm2 SWA XLPE PVC 600/1000V.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'll simplfy.

Cord - used in hosehold terminology, means cable. Usually refers to power.

Cable - generic term. In household terminolgoy usually refers to multicore cable.

Wire - usually refers to the individual cores in a multicore cable. In North America you can buy a spool of wire, which is a single core cable typically used for doing low voltage work. The insulation rating is not very high.

In the industry we usually refer to core size, core quantity, cable current rating, cable insulating rating and cable type. We typically don't use the terms cord or wire.

That's great. In this case I'll reverse the term "wire" for the TV show, and call everything cable now. Somehow I thought the word cable has some special meaning in English, but maybe my brain confused something during the years I was thought English at school.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

At Microsoft Partner Network event
ysy6ubyq.jpg

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's great. In this case I'll reverse the term "wire" for the TV show, and call everything cable now. Somehow I thought the word cable has some special meaning in English, but maybe my brain confused something during the years I was thought English at school.

To confuse you more... the term Cable TV refers to how the signal is transmitted to TV. Your TV is attached to a cable that isn't attached directly to a signal antenna. It's still very common in North America.

Why would you reverse wire for TV show??? Or am I reading that wrong?

There's also a very old terminology of cable meaning a message from someone using a telegraph. But that's long gone out of use.

You can also use wiki - Cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though it's not perfect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo