WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

How much %age per year does the bank give in UK?

Over here 10-11.50%, depending where you invest.
$100 invested today would be $110-$111.50 next year :)
Am keen to know because am in Finances.

Here in the UK things are a bit different. I'm still trying to sort it out. We appear to have a special 'savings' account where you can get annual interest whereas your regular account doesn't accrue interest. There's also tax implications on savings accounts.

Easiest thing to do would be to look into it yourself.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Not sure - but being a millionaire im sure I could find a nice Swiss bank account to put the money into that produced enough interest to live off.

Going on 10% your still talking 100K a year tax free on 1 million which is more than enough to live off with no mortgage. 2mill would obviously make it a lot better with 200K a year

If you lived here, you'd be taxed @ 30% (add 3% as cess) + an additional 10% on that amount. (We have tax slabs here, you'd fall in the last slab)

So if you make 1 million (USD, not our local currency), you will be paying,
(300,000 +9,000) + 30,900 = 339,900 in taxes left with 660,100

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I was trying to be PC but yes you are correct, along with all the other superstitions.

Everythings too PC nowadays. Everyones got far too sensitive and fluffy.

In my opinion if you cant take criticism then you shouldn't dish it out.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

If you lived here, you'd be taxed @ 30% (add 3% as cess) + an additional 10% on that amount. (We have tax slabs here, you'd fall in the last slab)

So if you make 1 million (USD, not our local currency), you will be paying,
(300,000 +9,000) + 30,900 = 339,900 in taxes left with 660,100

That would apply here too on earnings - but im never going to earn that much doing what I do so the only way would be a lottery win - winnings from gambling don't get covered by tax.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

That would apply here too on earnings - but im never going to earn that much doing what I do so the only way would be a lottery win - winnings from gambling don't get covered by tax.

Weird, we get taxed flat 33% on gambling, no matter how much you earn.
Isn't UK suffering financially, i mean struggling with its finances?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Not sure - but being a millionaire im sure I could find a nice Swiss bank account to put the money into that produced enough interest to live off.

Going on 10% your still talking 100K a year tax free on 1 million which is more than enough to live off with no mortgage. 2mill would obviously make it a lot better with 200K a year

You shouldn't use Swiss banks for this anymore. The USA is currently milking our banks and they, together with the EU, gain more and more insights into their business. ;-)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Weird, we get taxed flat 33% on gambling, no matter how much you earn.
Isn't UK suffering financially, i mean struggling with its finances?

Every country is struggling financially - tax on gambling got abolished a while ago in the UK - I know in some countries the rate on gambling tax is over 50% - remember seeing someone winning $7million in the world series of poker but was then complaining how he would get taxed 60% on his winnings when he re-entered his country.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You shouldn't use Swiss banks for this anymore. The USA is currently milking our banks and they, together with the EU, gain more and more insights into their business. ;-)

Fair enough - Gibraltar it is then for my winnings (when I get them)

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Every country is struggling financially - tax on gambling got abolished a while ago in the UK - I know in some countries the rate on gambling tax is over 50% - remember seeing someone winning $7million in the world series of poker but was then complaining how he would get taxed 60% on his winnings when he re-entered his country.

I wonder if the government wants tax on my carp, I'd be more than happy to give them 99% :), freshly delivered hah

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 1000 Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I've spent the morning making this when I should have been designing software for an anaerobic digestion plant.

Sounds interesting. What kind of plant will it be?

...well, it sounds interesting to me, for you it doesn't seem to be very interesting, as you prefer to make some... thing.

duncanjameshill

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Basically, it will take manure and silage, syphon of the methane and use it to run a generator. The plant will, not the....thing. :wink:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks...grinding along during another day here in the Northeast USA.

I'm seeing the new iPhone 5C commercials. You'd think Apple patented making colors on phones so chic...to me, the only thing they've made chic and hip is how to scam folks.

Sorely in need of a vacation, but cannot travel. Anyone have any good staycation ideas?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

It is for a farm, yes. Why do you ask?

So, it's basically a biological power generator fueled with manure and silage?

I have just never heard of such a thing and find it amazing :) In Switzerland everything is very small and connected, everything is connected to the power grid.

duncanjameshill

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

So, it's basically a biological power generator fueled with manure and silage?

I have just never heard of such a thing and find it amazing :) In Switzerland everything is very small and connected, everything is connected to the power grid.

That's pretty much what it is, yes. Energy that isn't used by the farm will feed back into the National Grid and the farmer gets paid for it. It's not that common, but the company I am dealing with have plenty of orders for more plants. This is only the third one I have worked on, and I had no idea about them before hand, but the more I look now, the more I see these plants around.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

That's pretty much what it is, yes. Energy that isn't used by the farm will feed back into the National Grid and the farmer gets paid for it. It's not that common, but the company I am dealing with have plenty of orders for more plants. This is only the third one I have worked on, and I had no idea about them before hand, but the more I look now, the more I see these plants around.

Thanks for the explanations, this is really cool :)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

There are a few schools in the UK using biomass boilers that work on the same sort of principle - recycling human waste to provide power for the school. Have drawn a few in over the last few years.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's a pilot power plant in Australia using a similar method on a larger scale, I tried to find the link to find out what the power output was. I think it's a brilliant idea personally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077