WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Morning all.

Bit of shameless plugging about to happen but im also promoting a friends I.T. blog page so win-win. Hes an application package manager and the following is his take on the future of windows

?€˜The Only Way is Up?€™ | Camwood

Actually, I see many ways down for Microsoft.

Has any big company already switched to Windows 8? Are there any advantages on a productive computer over Windows 7?

Personally I haven't see a single one, but maybe they implemented stuff under the hood?

Shameless plug accepted. We now resume our regular program.

I'm sorry, forget everything I wrote above.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Actually, I see many ways down for Microsoft.

Has any big company already switched to Windows 8? Are there any advantages on a productive computer over Windows 7?

Personally I haven't see a single one, but maybe they implemented stuff under the hood?

No major company will upgrade to W8. We're just in the process of upgrading to W7. IT departments are conservative. They also have to keep costs down as well so the upgrade cycle is reduced as much as possible. Our company isn't using the 'newest' anything. It's similar of every company I have worked for in this industry. I'd expect its the same in all other companies that are multinational.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

No major company will upgrade to W8. We're just in the process of upgrading to W7. IT departments are conservative. They also have to keep costs down as well so the upgrade cycle is reduced as much as possible. Our company isn't using the 'newest' anything. It's similar of every company I have worked for in this industry. I'd expect its the same in all other companies that are multinational.

Yes, I know. But there were so many great reasons to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I have no idea how liked Windows 8 actually is. I wonder if the common Windows 8 user (not people who defend Microsoft in forums ;-) ) does like Windows 8 or not. Of course, everybody hates it initially (overstatement), if you buy a new PC you just sit there with a system you can't handle (there's a tutorial, I have seen it many times on different computers, I have never seen it work: It starts, then nothing happens, then it just vanishes), but after a while, do people start to like it?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I know. But there were so many great reasons to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I have no idea how liked Windows 8 actually is. I wonder if the common Windows 8 user (not people who defend Microsoft in forums ;-) ) does like Windows 8 or not. Of course, everybody hates it initially (overstatement), if you buy a new PC you just sit there with a system you can't handle (there's a tutorial, I have seen it many times on different computers, I have never seen it work: It starts, then nothing happens, then it just vanishes), but after a while, do people start to like it?

Being honest 8 is a bit "meh" after a while - the initial "oooh shiny new tiles" wears off pretty quick as you start to wonder "how do I do this?" "how do I do that". Once you add in the learning curve its just an OS that you use everyday with some flaws.
8.1 is a different beast and there are lots of "glad I can finally do that" moments. Ive found 8.1 is a joy to use compared to 8 and most of my "work" on it is done through desktop mode. Not having the jarring transition between the two modes makes a massive difference.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not having the jarring transition between the two modes makes a massive difference.

I think this is the biggest complaint about W8 aside from the 'no Start button!!!!!!!' nonsense. I'm not sure how they plan to reduce this. If Metro on W8 becomes nothing more than an 'add-on' it will never gain traction and people will just simply stop using it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Once you add in the learning curve its just an OS that you use everyday with some flaws.
8.1 is a different beast and there are lots of "glad I can finally do that" moments. Ive found 8.1 is a joy to use compared to 8 and most of my "work" on it is done through desktop mode. Not having the jarring transition between the two modes makes a massive difference.

I haven't tested 8.1, but I'm really looking forward to its official release. I put a lot of hope into it :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

They told me to never visit this thread... I couldn't resist @_@

Looking at your signature, I really have to wonder: Were phones before 2010 just so much better that you could keep them for years?

Nokia 3310 for two years, the whatever phone for 3 years, and then you suddenly went through all those Windows Phones in a very short period of time.

Personally I had always a very high turn-over rate (also partially due to the fact, that my indestructible Lumia 800 fell onto the ground once and it was broken). But my 8X I want to keep another year.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I think this is the biggest complaint about W8 aside from the 'no Start button!!!!!!!' nonsense. I'm not sure how they plan to reduce this. If Metro on W8 becomes nothing more than an 'add-on' it will never gain traction and people will just simply stop using it.

It depends I guess between user types and programs. Also depends on how many of the major work programs get converted to touch friendly apps. Currently theres a need for both. Only the software companies know if the future is metro or desktop

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

It depends I guess between user types and programs. Also depends on how many of the major work programs get converted to touch friendly apps. Currently theres a need for both. Only the software companies know if the future is metro or desktop

I just can't imagine any complex software being touch friendly. The software I use for cloning has so many options and settings that are needed, I don't see how this could work with Metro (Real Metro, not the Office 2013 Metro). Also other examples like Photoshop or AutoCAD with a lot of options that also need a high accuracy in using them.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well some software I can't really see going to touch at this stage or how such would even be implemented. Touch isn't so much the issue as the flicking between Metro and Desktop. My only solution to this is to get rid of the Desktop or reduce it's use. Whether they can get normal 'desktop' programs to run in the Metro environment is the question.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Adobe just introduced a subscription model, they won't touch the Windows 8 Marketplace, except for the dumped down versions of their programs.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I just can't imagine any complex software being touch friendly. The software I use for cloning has so many options and settings that are needed, I don't see how this could work with Metro (Real Metro, not the Office 2013 Metro). Also other examples like Photoshop or AutoCAD with a lot of options that also need a high accuracy in using them.

We have 3D software here that runs on a database backbone, no way would that ever be touch. The complexity of using the software completely negates touch.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Adobe just introduced a subscription model, they won't touch the Windows 8 Marketplace, except for the dumped down versions of their programs.

That's the same on any 'tablet'. There's no full version of any Adobe software on any tablet.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As for the subscription service it's still ridiculously expensive. I'd love to know how they justify the cost. I feel the same about ACAD and other industry software. The costs are way out there and there's usually very little to the 'updates' to justify the costs.

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Looking at your signature, I really have to wonder: Were phones before 2010 just so much better that you could keep them for years?

Nokia 3310 for two years, the whatever phone for 3 years, and then you suddenly went through all those Windows Phones in a very short period of time.

Personally I had always a very high turn-over rate (also partially due to the fact, that my indestructible Lumia 800 fell onto the ground once and it was broken). But my 8X I want to keep another year.

Good question!

I kept the non-smartphones for a couple of years because I almost did nothing with them. I received calls rarely and I was happy to receive one SMS in a week.

In 2012, I received the HTC Trophy from my dad and it was revolutionary. I never had a smartphone before. I used it a couple of months, but I heard and saw positive reviews about WP8, so I gave it a shot with the low-end Huawei W1. It was a nice phone, but it doesn't has some features that I wanted, so I was looking for a mid/high-end phone. The HTC 8X had an amazing deal last month so I bought it.

I hope I was clear, haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6