WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I think I can also offer an example that might be useful.

Back when I first started using Linux, Linux forums and Linux forum posters tended to be quite an arrogant bunch. If one asked a question, the response would usually be, "RTFM".

However, I had an experience on one Linux forum that was completely different. I had issues installing printer drivers and asked for help. One of the forum mods not only gave me the links to the printer vendor's website for the drivers but even provided the list of all commands needed to install the printer drivers.

I was impressed, since this was totally different from anything I expected on Linux forums. It actually helped change my opinion of not only Linux forums but Linux users, to the point that I belong to 2 local Linux User Groups and interact with Linux users IRL (and found out they don't hate Windows).

If Linux forums have gotten so much better (and friendlier), I'd hope any forums devoted to something related to Windows would be the same.

Windows Phone is kind of new to a lot of people, so they might not understand it as much as other platforms (and they might not be as savvy in using forums as people with a lot of experience in other device forums). The way new users are treated might affect their opinion not only of this site (but even of the platform, by virtue of how its afficionados act toward other people)--that certainly was something that affected my opinion of Linux and its users, based on my positive Linux forum experience.

I'd love to install linux on my only laptop at home, but the problem is, I like playing Call of Duty (Black Ops 2) on Steam, and Linux and COD BO2 don't make a happy couple :(

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'd love to install linux on my only laptop at home, but the problem is, I like playing Call of Duty (Black Ops 2) on Steam, and Linux and COD BO2 don't make a happy couple :(

If it runs Windows 7 or lower with a not too new Bios, you can very easily install Ubuntu as a second OS. It's just a Windows installer then.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

If it runs Windows 7 or lower with a not too new Bios, you can very easily install Ubuntu as a second OS. It's just a Windows installer then.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

I tried to install but am not very cool with it tbh.
I read a forum where a guy said his grandma happily uses Linux, I was taken by the storm and installed it for a try and wasn't very happy, maybe i had to install all drivers or I was too closed to try a new system.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu
I did mine differently. I'm running Mint, not Ubuntu. I installed Windows 8 first. Then I shrunk my Windows partition, and formatted a new partition for Linux. How to Dual Boot Windows 8 and Linux Mint on the Same PC

Keep in mind that you would need to repair MBR if you decide you don't want Linux (or Grub2).

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

I did mine differently. I'm running Mint, not Ubuntu. I installed Windows 8 first. Then I shrunk my Windows partition, and formatted a new partition for Linux. How to Dual Boot Windows 8 and Linux Mint on the Same PC

Keep in mind that you would need to repair MBR if you decide you don't want Linux (or Grub2).

I ended up repairing my whole computer (laptop) after I installed the linux using a windows installer :s, I had to format it anyway so I put the blame on Linux.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Was banned on 1 forum which I didn't give a damn about, used to check their marketplace for deals.
"You have been banned from the forums forever.
Reason - I hate you, bumhole"

The forum, I know is created by children, 12-14 y.o. people moderate it and ban anyone who has a lot of gadgets or tries to help people.

The forum is an Indian technology forum, which has 60k registered and 1.2k active members :p. Sigh, no wonder T.V. soaps are better than that kind of carp.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

During the time I had to use Ubuntu I found it really great. It was much like Windows 7 with some areas even better. But in general I'm just too lazy to use two operation systems :)

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

During the time I had to use Ubuntu I found it really great. It was much like Windows 7 with some areas even better. But in general I'm just too lazy to use two operation systems :)

I wonder what will you call me, because I don't even like using 1 yet I am forced to use 2 (XP at work and 7 at home), yeah I could put XP at home and scan half of the planet for my laptop drivers only to revert back to 7 because its something :/

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I wonder what will you call me, because I don't even like using 1 yet I am forced to use 2 (XP at work and 7 at home), yeah I could put XP at home and scan half of the planet for my laptop drivers only to revert back to 7 because its something :/

Well, I'm using Windows 7 and Windows 8. But I think that's pretty much the same. Except one has a useless tablet surface put onto the interface ;-)

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

It's Linux.

Lol, the only thing I can say now is this
Its-something.jpg

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I hope Mister La Rue will find his way back here soon. I need his avatar to bring me through the day.

Also, nobody noticed me changing my avatar, or at least nobody commented on it. This time I have a picture taken by a Windows Phone, that should count for something.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

I hope Mister La Rue will find his way back here soon. I need his avatar to bring me through the day.

Also, nobody noticed me changing my avatar, or at least nobody commented on it. This time I have a picture taken by a Windows Phone, that should count for something.

I take a picture of my stapler, I just flip the stapler a bit and take a new picture :s, come on mate upload something snazzy for your avatar, you could be 1 of the users on my random avatar thread.

On another side, how if I steal LaRUE's avatar and post things?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I take a picture of my stapler, I just flip the stapler a bit and take a new picture :s, come on mate upload something snazzy for your avatar, you could be 1 of the users on my random avatar thread.

On another side, how if I steal LaRUE's avatar and post things?

This was a beautiful picture taken with my 8X. But okay, I took another one.

It wouldn't work, LaRUE is beautiful in his uniqueness and nothing can replace him.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

How are your bacteria doing?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

This was a beautiful picture taken with my 8X. But okay, I took another one.

It wouldn't work, LaRUE is beautiful in his uniqueness and nothing can replace him.

I am a lazy bum, but if I make my moves you may start moving away from LaRUE and get a magnetic attraction towards me.

But then I do not wish to be a magnet, I may end up being stuck on a fridge that has not been cleaned for like, 30 years?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo