WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm originally from Canada and I lived in Australia prior to moving to the UK. In both those countries the term engineer is taken quite seriously. Here in the UK it gets bandied about rather readily. So I like to make sure that people don't assume that I am an engineer that has any legal designation as I haven't done any legal tests or have qualifications that are legally bound by law.

Indeed - Engineer in the UK has been far too diluted. You get Binmen going round calling themselves refuse disposal engineers. Everyone wants a title. Personally I sometimes call myself a Design engineer as well if asked what I do for a living. People seem to accept that as a job. If I tell someone outside my industry im a BIM Implementation Manager it kinda ends the conversation.

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm originally from Canada and I lived in Australia prior to moving to the UK. In both those countries the term engineer is taken quite seriously. Here in the UK it gets bandied about rather readily. So I like to make sure that people don't assume that I am an engineer that has any legal designation as I haven't done any legal tests or have qualifications that are legally bound by law.

I was only joking with you :) Yeah being an engineer i agree the term in the UK is used far too loosely and broadly

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I was only joking with you :) Yeah being an engineer i agree the term in the UK is used far too loosely and broadly

Oh I knew you were joking with me I was just venting. :p

I've been doing this stupid thing I'm on for the last few days and just when I think I'm done there's a change or something different needs to be done. It's tiring.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Indeed - Engineer in the UK has been far too diluted. You get Binmen going round calling themselves refuse disposal engineers. Everyone wants a title. Personally I sometimes call myself a Design engineer as well if asked what I do for a living. People seem to accept that as a job. If I tell someone outside my industry im a BIM Implementation Manager it kinda ends the conversation.

Funny I just mention Electrical Design Engineer and that usually stops the conversation anyway. LOL! Most people simply can't relate to electricity even though they use it on a regluar basis. I then mention I work on industrial plants and well that's the end of that. :p

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

Funny I just mention Electrical Design Engineer and that usually stops the conversation anyway. LOL! Most people simply can't relate to electricity even though they use it on a regluar basis. I then mention I work on industrial plants and well that's the end of that. :p

Lol i can understand that i hated the electrical engineering modules of my degree much prefered the electronic modules

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I then mention I work on industrial plants and well that's the end of that. :p

How much water do they need a day?

Always appeals to my inner child when the word plant is used for anything other than a plant.

Like the signs you get that say "WARNING HEAVY PLANT CROSSING"

Without fail I always picture a big tree in a large pot round its middle walking across the road.

Maybe that's just growing up with monty python and Terry Gilliam's deranged cartoons.

Ive been warped.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I thought chemistry was more like LEGO if im honest. Could never get my head around biology but if it involved some form of chemistry I was ok.

Biology is chemistry on a more macroscopic level. And we usually use organism derived enzymes as the reactions are much more complex.

Of course I'm a molecular biologist. For example people looking at chimpanzees, trying to find a difference between them and us, they might have a different view.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I have a lot of trouble with the basic physics of electricity. I always forget what is what. Well, I always know that Ohm is the resistance. Like Bigpaddy's and mine resistance to liberate WPC!!!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Biology is chemistry on a more macroscopic level. And we usually use organism derived enzymes as the reactions are much more complex.

Of course I'm a molecular biologist. For example people looking at chimpanzees, trying to find a difference between them and us, they might have a different view.

UCL's Molecular Biology building is just round the corner from where I am now. Strange to think that somewhere in there someone is probably doing exactly the same thing as you

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well, all I like about electricity is taking a supraconducter, putting it into liquid nitrogen and letting magnets levitate.

have to admit I haven't done that. I used to like charging capacitors and discharging by short circuiting it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a lot of trouble with the basic physics of electricity. I always forget what is what. Well, I always know that Ohm is the resistance. Like Bigpaddy's and mine resistance to liberate WPC!!!

VIVA LA Resistance!!!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I work with computers does that make me a electrician?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

so I put it on my self starting to day I will start to use the home button instead of my back button on my phone will see how it goes :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb