WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

My commute isn't all that bad I think I just got a case of the blahs. I'm just tired of rushing about in the morning to get the train, then to get the shuttle, which are ridiculously full lately. We could use bigger shuttles. On top of that, I think the idea of being staff now has got me down a touch. Partially due to the fact that what I was worried about becoming staff is coming true.

Oh well it doesn't need to be permanent. :p

What are you worried about becoming staff?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Is Science more USA targeted and Nature more Europe focused, or is it the other way around? I think it's how I wrote it, but I don't know, I will never publish in either ;-)

Science is an American Journal. Nature is UK based. Both do publications of international science. Prestige wise I think Nature is considered more prestigious. Both have made serious faux pas in publishing some crap science of late.

There is a movement within the science community to move away from journals and go to an open access online science journal instead.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

There is a movement within the science community to move away from journals and go to an open access online science journal instead.

At least the impact factor of Nature is a little higher than Science.

Open access online journals have many advantages, still, if there's a chance to publish in Nature or Science, everybody will try.

Science is a dirty business and prestige is pretty much the most important thing. If you have a name you'll get money and fame. And if you have publications in Science and Nature, you'll have a name pretty fast.

(The forum asks me if I want to leave the page when I send an answer. How annoying.)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What's the alternative to being staff? Being a contractor? What's the difference?

Yes I was a contrator prior to becomming staff. When you're staff you get all those benefits of being staff, paid holidays, etc. When you're a contractor you don't. You typically get paid more per hour than you do as staff to compensate.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What are you worried about becoming staff?

I am staff now. What bothers me about being staff is the politics of being staff. I've been informed from my lead for example that I should 'stay in contact' with the manager so he 'remembers me'. Also, make sure I push for training. Make sure I talk to the other discipline leads so they know me, etc. I truly dispise this kind of thing. If I'm marked to do training on a particular project then I should get it. I shouldn't have to play a game and all the rest of the nonsense. This is the garbage I hate about being staff. It's my worst nightmare. It's depressing. It's the reason I was a contractor and happier for it.

I know you're next question is why I'm staff. Simply put - paid training (to keep my skills up), paid medical insurance (good for immigration purposes), less hassle (being a company is a pain). It also looks better when trying to get a mortgage. So it's a sacrifice more or less. I'll play the game for a bit. Then when I've had enough I'll go somewhere else and simply be a contractor, but not as a company.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

At least the impact factor of Nature is a little higher than Science.

Open access online journals have many advantages, still, if there's a chance to publish in Nature or Science, everybody will try.

Science is a dirty business and prestige is pretty much the most important thing. If you have a name you'll get money and fame. And if you have publications in Science and Nature, you'll have a name pretty fast.

(The forum asks me if I want to leave the page when I send an answer. How annoying.)

There's a push from scientist to move to an online journal. Serveral ressons for this.

1. Costs of journal subscriptions are ridiculously high.
2. Tax payers typically fund most science so having a more open system will allow the 'average' person to access the science.
3. There's also a push to have science papers written in more plain language. Still using the terms needed but less jibberish. :p

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Good morning peeps. Just passing through. I'll add this thread to my growing reading list ;)

yycj8or1.jpg

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

There's a push from scientist to move to an online journal. Serveral ressons for this.

1. Costs of journal subscriptions are ridiculously high.
2. Tax payers typically fund most science so having a more open system will allow the 'average' person to access the science.
3. There's also a push to have science papers written in more plain language. Still using the terms needed but less jibberish. :p

I don't really know how the subscriptions are managed on an university level. Both universities I was part of had most subscriptions automatically, allowing access for everybody in the network. Giving a broader access to publications exactly for this reason is an argument I heard a lot, however I am not sure to what level this is really pursued. The first argument is always impact factor.

In biology there are few labs that write jibberish and it's generally not liked. The complexity of the topics however make it so complicated, that no one without a lot of background can read it. Even if I read papers from other fields I have often troubles following, as I just don't have the context.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

The Asus T100 has good reviews and cost as much as the Surface 2, but includes a keyboard and full Windows.

It's really tempting. But I think if I convince myself to wait for the next generation, I can hold back on buying a tablet ;-)

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

The Asus T100 has good reviews and cost as much as the Surface 2, but includes a keyboard and full Windows.

It's really tempting. But I think if I convince myself to wait for the next generation, I can hold back on buying a tablet ;-)

I want the t100. But ut hasn't released in India yet. Till I get a new laptop, im using my dads laptop. He's getting a new one in a couple of weeks.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

The T100 is $599 AUD down here for the 64GB model, and boy it's ether that or the 2520, the Surface 2 is outgunned by both.

I heard that the Surface 2's launch was a flop!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I heard that the Surface 2's launch was a flop!

In a thread a very indignant person posted a link to an editorial in which somebody wrote about that. I think somewhere this guy wrote along the lines of "Nobody wanted a Surface RT, why would Microsoft expect now many people wanting an Surface 2?" I think he has a point there.

It would be nice for Microsoft if they don't have another billion of loss with the Surface 2, but I'm not too sure about that.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

In a thread a very indignant person posted a link to an editorial in which somebody wrote about that. I think somewhere this guy wrote along the lines of "Nobody wanted a Surface RT, why would Microsoft expect now many people wanting an Surface 2?" I think he has a point there.

It would be nice for Microsoft if they don't have another billion of loss with the Surface 2, but I'm not too sure about that.

I think, if they market it right, the Surface 2 will be better than the Surface RT. I kinda hope it does sell better than the RT, since it's likely Microsoft will most likely cancel the series or have yet one another 1 billion dollar loss.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

If they want the Surface 2 to succeed they need to market the damn thing correctly. That's the #1 issue. It has confused people from Day 1 and will continue to do so if they don't sort it out. I'm not talking about hardcore Windows fans who get it, I'm talking about those people who are thinking about getting a tablet and only think the 'i' or Droid are the only thing going.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Aww..gif post fail by me :( Let down. It shows up on firefox on both my PC and laptop. For some reason it is a jpg in the attachment. I'll try and get it working

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Is it working now?

yycj8or1_zps64c8fd7d.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers