WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

OK I have to ask this here in case someone has heard something. There's a rumour going around (yeah surprise!) that the next big update (WP9) will be a cloud based OS. Aside from absurdity of this idea, we all know MS likes the cloud, I can't believe the nonsense that keeps bubbling up. As WP8 gets older more and more people seem to be panicking over upgrade ability. This is in part due to the issues surrounding WP7.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

OK I have to ask this here in case someone has heard something. There's a rumour going around (yeah surprise!) that the next big update (WP9) will be a cloud based OS. Aside from absurdity of this idea, we all know MS likes the cloud, I can't believe the nonsense that keeps bubbling up. As WP8 gets older more and more people seem to be panicking over upgrade ability. This is in part due to the issues surrounding WP7.

that's absurd. Cloud based OS? I think its just FUD. MS doesn't leak too much information and people like to start rumours. That's what leads to "cloud based OS"

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Yes I agree it's feasible but not in the next 2-3 years to any advancement. Hell I'm still on 100mb Ethernet at work. :p As for any mobile network handling a true cloud based system, I'd say not anytime soon.

Not sure what I think about 100% subscription software...

Let's play games on Microsoft servers while they are encoding all these 4k movies!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Might as well wish for an end to world hunger while you're wishing for the impossible.

World hungry is 50% political, 50% economic driven. To put that into perspective, countries rather sell the food they produce to 1st world countries than feed their own.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

First time I heard something like that... or let's say, first time I heard anything at all about Windows Phone 9.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Here's the link. It wasn't for WP OS even. Big fail on the person spreading the nonsense.

Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a cloud OS | Microsoft | Geek.com

Wish people would learn common sense.

You can fit a computer capable of running Windows without a problem into a tablet. And this development will only further advance in the future. I don't see why we should be interested in giving away all control to let the OS run in the cloud. But strange things have happened...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You can fit a computer capable of running Windows without a problem into a tablet. And this development will only further advance in the future. I don't see why we should be interested in giving away all control to let the OS run in the cloud. But strange things have happened...

Having a cloud based OS means going back to a mainframe type of system in computing. That would mean having a robust infrastructure. I don't think any system is that robust to handle true cloud base systems.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Having a cloud based OS means going back to a mainframe type of system in computing. That would mean having a robust infrastructure. I don't think any system is that robust to handle true cloud base systems.

I think we can be glad that something always will stay the same and perfect. Cake.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I think we can be glad that something always will stay the same and perfect. Cake.

People do keep trying to improve it though. Pake is a good example of that. Then there's different cakes for different people. Like raw chocolate cake. :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Can't you get a new SIM?

I don't really see the advantage of the 1520. It's a phablet without any phablet functions like pen input or split screen. I think the Note III has a huge advantage there, and it's the main reason the HTC One Max got terrible reviews.

It's not about getting a new SIM for me. It is about the fact that for my needs, I like to have my devices have one type of SIM card slot because I use all my devices. The 8X, 1020 and Nexus 4 are all micro SIMs. When I owned a fully working Galaxy Nexus (still have a cracked screen model in the house) it was pretty inconvenient to use adapters to switch from my 810 to that phone. If I get that 1520, I'm back to the same idea of using card adapters. I want the ease of switching SIMs, that's why.

Yes, I'd use all three. My 8X is my daily driver, my 1020 would he my weekend/going out when you need the camera phone and my Nexus 4 is my last resort phone/Android development stuff. For me, its just easier that way...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Maybe the clever guys at R&D have found some magic way of doing things that wasn't possible before - its certainly feasible in the future - especially if the cloud based processing for Xbox One does what they think it can do - it would just be an extension of the services they offer.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

People do keep trying to improve it though. Pake is a good example of that. Then there's different cakes for different people. Like raw chocolate cake. :)

That's just basic math. If something is infinitely perfect and you add more perfectionism, it's still infinitely perfect!

...well, maybe that's advance math, but it's not about the math!

Something unrelated, I just read an online article of a Swiss news paper about Google changing the way they show advertisements and most of the comments were about how there is no alternative to Google. That's how big Bing is in Switzerland.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Can't you get a new SIM?

I don't really see the advantage of the 1520. It's a phablet without any phablet functions like pen input or split screen. I think the Note III has a huge advantage there, and it's the main reason the HTC One Max got terrible reviews.

The One Max got bad reviews because HTC made certain compromises in it, mostly not for the better. They kept the same processor probably because they're still dealing with their lost Tier One status. Remember when the One was being made? Tier One OEMs always get their components ahead of others, because they sell phones well. Because HTC is bleeding cash, they lost that privilege from Chip and other parts suppliers. The max isn't bad, but it is about marketing. They targeted the wrong audience with this phablet. Note 3 is versatility - can be used for work or play, especially with the stylus and the optimized apps for it. One Max is great for videos and music, but the camera is useless...so you have a boom box you can make calls with in an unwieldy way, on a older processor. This won't age well over two years on a contact (rumored headed to AT&T and Sprint in the US). The One Max has the Sensation XL/XE feel to it. They missed the boat here...

At least Nokia is covering all the bases and the 1520 is a better alternative to the Note 3. As long as Nokia's LCD screen works with stlyus and there are apps that take advantage of that, it will sell...

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

At least Nokia is covering all the bases and the 1520 is a better alternative to the Note 3. As long as Nokia's LCD screen works with stlyus and there are apps that take advantage of that, it will sell...

Was there such a thing announced? I can't remember something like that. And why do you think the 1520 is better than the Note III? Apart from personal preferences and build quality which is just Samsungy on the Note III. And the camera of course... probably, as it is advertised.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Maybe the clever guys at R&D have found some magic way of doing things that wasn't possible before - its certainly feasible in the future - especially if the cloud based processing for Xbox One does what they think it can do - it would just be an extension of the services they offer.

Yes I agree it's feasible but not in the next 2-3 years to any advancement. Hell I'm still on 100mb Ethernet at work. :p As for any mobile network handling a true cloud based system, I'd say not anytime soon.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Let's play games on Microsoft servers while they are showing all these 4k movies!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Might as well wish for an end to world hunger while you're wishing for the impossible.

I'm pretty sure that the end of world hunger would solve more problems than a cloud based OS.

Well, in the other direction. We couldn't exploit these people anymore to produce our stuff under harsh conditions with almost no pay.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

I was referring to the common sense and reading comprehension part, not the cloud based OS. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro