WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You get it for the same price as the Surface 2. The lowest price for the Surface 2 is 430 CHF, the lowest for the Asus T100 (same shop interestingly) is 427 CHF.

Very interesting. I'm surprised I haven't seen more reviews of the T100 pop up yet as well. Both the Surface 2 and the T100 have their strengths. I must say that the kickstand is a nice option in the Surface 2. If the keyboard wasn't as cramped in the T100, it would be a real killer. Still, I wold choose it over the Surface again based on my own needs. I wonder how well both will do come this holiday season...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks...still by the GF, but she is asleep. I'm up early because, well, I'm conditioned now to get up early because of all the traveling I do during the week...going to head home later to finish a paper and a presentation due this week.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So far with the T100: in summary, I'm glad I upgraded. Here's a shortish kind of review:

Pros (hardware) - price, love the weight of the tablet itself, the screen is really good, the dock is sturdy and doesn't add too much bulk to it, has a nice professional look to it - it uses the same spiral pattern on the back like the Android Transformer series.

Cons (hardware) - it's all plastic and a fingerprint and dust magnet. The keyboard is cramped. It really feels more like the dock is a secondary addition to type on with that cramped board. Still, you can make some headway typing, but the keyboard has a learning curve because of how cramped it is.

Wishes for the next model - ditch the 32GB version (I know they won't though). I'd upgrade to a 64GB model with 2 USB ports and a small extra battery built in the dock and a slightly bigger keyboard in the dock for the same $400 price. Make the screen even better.

Windows 8.1 is nice. Having used WP for as long as I have, I wished it had more WP8 feel to it in terms of the app selection. I use the Metro Mode alot more than the desktop right now. Love the charms and the split screen is the TRUTH. I don't mind using IE as my main browser on the tablet but would still use Chrome if my desktop ran 8.1. Love the feel of typing documents on tab and they show up on my phone. I've turned off auto upload for my pics to Skydrive, but having that option to see a pic I took on my phone on my tab is nice. Been getting tons of updates for it this week and the overall performance has been good - seems like the updates I've gotten are more systems maintainer ones.

More apps in the store would be better. Is there a live tile battery app for Windows 8 around? Making Office Metro UI is what I'm looking forward to the most here (plus giving the option to turn it back to what it is now would be nice). Xbox music still needs a ton of work. I cannot play my 810's SD card filled with music as easily as I'd like. Games are good but too expensive for my taste. It does have me thinking about an Xbox, but I would use that more for watching videos and working out than hardcore gaming...so I will wait until I get a new TV and the Xbox One becomes more established.

Otherwise, happy with the T100. This is the first tech I've bought at launch in a long time I was satisfied with completely. Looking forward to updating my desktop to 8.1 as well, even though I can see myself using Metro a lot less on that machine.

It is worth the cash, if you want a portable powerful tablet hybrid and are either on a budget or the Surface 2 doesn't appeal to you. Asus has really upgraded the EEPC line with this bad boy here. It should do pretty well.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

It is worth the cash, if you want a portable powerful tablet hybrid and are either on a budget or the Surface 2 doesn't appeal to you. Asus has really upgraded the EEPC line with this bad boy here. It should do pretty well.

Thanks for your review :)

I think I'll skip another generation and then get something like the T100 as a laptop replacement.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

If people can't estimate a rough percentage from a battery indicator or stating obviously open things as a fact, I really have to wonder if an education in natural sciences changes a person's way of thinking that much or if the internet is really an incredibly silly place.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

If people can't estimate a rough percentage from a battery indicator or stating obviously open things as a fact, I really have to wonder if an education in natural sciences changes a person's way of thinking that much or if the internet is really an incredibly silly place.

lol I'm going for the second one, I seen things that go past silly! O_O

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

So far with the T100: in summary, I'm glad I upgraded. Here's a shortish kind of review:

Pros (hardware) - price, love the weight of the tablet itself, the screen is really good, the dock is sturdy and doesn't add too much bulk to it, has a nice professional look to it - it uses the same spiral pattern on the back like the Android Transformer series.

Cons (hardware) - it's all plastic and a fingerprint and dust magnet. The keyboard is cramped. It really feels more like the dock is a secondary addition to type on with that cramped board. Still, you can make some headway typing, but the keyboard has a learning curve because of how cramped it is.

Wishes for the next model - ditch the 32GB version (I know they won't though). I'd upgrade to a 64GB model with 2 USB ports and a small extra battery built in the dock and a slightly bigger keyboard in the dock for the same $400 price. Make the screen even better.

Windows 8.1 is nice. Having used WP for as long as I have, I wished it had more WP8 feel to it in terms of the app selection. I use the Metro Mode alot more than the desktop right now. Love the charms and the split screen is the TRUTH. I don't mind using IE as my main browser on the tablet but would still use Chrome if my desktop ran 8.1. Love the feel of typing documents on tab and they show up on my phone. I've turned off auto upload for my pics to Skydrive, but having that option to see a pic I took on my phone on my tab is nice. Been getting tons of updates for it this week and the overall performance has been good - seems like the updates I've gotten are more systems maintainer ones.

More apps in the store would be better. Is there a live tile battery app for Windows 8 around? Making Office Metro UI is what I'm looking forward to the most here (plus giving the option to turn it back to what it is now would be nice). Xbox music still needs a ton of work. I cannot play my 810's SD card filled with music as easily as I'd like. Games are good but too expensive for my taste. It does have me thinking about an Xbox, but I would use that more for watching videos and working out than hardcore gaming...so I will wait until I get a new TV and the Xbox One becomes more established.

Otherwise, happy with the T100. This is the first tech I've bought at launch in a long time I was satisfied with completely. Looking forward to updating my desktop to 8.1 as well, even though I can see myself using Metro a lot less on that machine.

That worth it own thread in the T100 sections that could help members undecided!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

My computer at my old house seems not too slow, but in comparison to the new one I have in my flat it's a snail.

I bought a tea egg this weekend (in German this is called a Teeei, now that's a funny looking word!) and now I'm drinking my first tea with it and I love it.

Takes a lot of time to prepare it though, I think I will stay with "modern" tee in the mornings.

http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Teeei.html

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

When did you purchase your computer?

My old one? It think I bought it in 2007. It's a Core 2 Quad I think, has 4 GB of RAM and of course no SSD.

Did you read my Teeei story I edited into the same post? It's great! ;-)

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

My old one? It think I bought it in 2007. It's a Core 2 Quad I think, has 4 GB of RAM and of course no SSD.

Did you read my Teeei story I edited into the same post? It's great! ;-)

That computer will last many years yet and still be a beast!!!

And you can always add some more RAM if you want as long as it 64bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte