WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm holding off for a new phone for a few more years so hoping it a software issue.

Just out of curiosity, does your phone heat up using the WPC app? Mine does along with doing pretty much anything. It's very annoying. If it's software related I hope they fix it soon. If it's hardware I want a new phone!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Since I don't commute anymore, my 8X battery lasts forever. It's 2 hours less of listening to music and 1 hour less of potentially playing around with the thing.

My 8X is so interesting. I can get 2 days out of it if I push it right, simply because my work site is an old police precinct and since t-mo's reception in there is understandably shoddy, I flip it in flight mode alot. So between flight mode at work, late at night and on spots during my commute, it will last that long. I think overall I get 12 hours usage out of it daily, which isn't that bad for me.

Gong forward, the newer chipsets will make this power efficient because when you start to push the OS, WP8 can be a gas guzzler like pre-ICS Android.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The battery on the L920 is pathetic. Not sure why that is though. I've contemplated changing mine but I'm unsure if there are other hardware factors behind how crap it is.

That LCD panel is a gas guzzler. That is why HTC gets points from me for screen tech because they manage to get decent mileage out of their LCD screens. It's why Nokia uses OLED for everything else...Samsung probably wasn't going to make enough screens for the 1520, so the LCD panel is appropriate there...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

One thing I would improve on the 920 is the battery size, I can barely make it through 8 hours.

I still don't get this. Why on earth doesn't somebody improve battery tech - with the advances in all the other technology that becomes more and more power hungry battery life just doesn't seem to have improved in the last 5 years everyone just looks for ways to minimise the power draw.

If someone came out with a super 5000mah battery that took up the space of a standard battery and gave a smartphone a weeks worth of life it would fly off the shelves.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I still don't get this. Why on earth doesn't somebody improve battery tech - with the advances in all the other technology that becomes more and more power hungry battery life just doesn't seem to have improved in the last 5 years everyone just looks for ways to minimise the power draw.

If someone came out with a super 5000mah battery that took up the space of a standard battery and gave a smartphone a weeks worth of life it would fly off the shelves.

I think it exists I just think it's too expensive.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well I would pay the extra to not have to charge my phone daily.

The problem with new technologies is they tend to be double to triple the price. From a manufacturer point of view that's too expensive and typically the process isn't in place for mass production. I'm sure we'll get them once things are in place. Probably another couple of years or so. They'll keep trying to push lithium ion technology but I think people are growing tired of the lack of power.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

I've had a ATT cyan 920 since launch. No problems at all, love it. When I put it on the wireless charger at night, I'm still at 70% charge. I have yet to have a heat problem except for one time when I played a game for an hour straight. I don't know if it's because the LTE in my city is very good and that's why my battery life is good. But I've had no problems with that in a year of use.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

It's because in the 50's or later all the oil companies bought out the rights to battery technologies and buried them. Those rights last 50-60 years or a bit more and they're just starting to expire soon so expect to see some breakthroughs all of a sudden.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Also, its consumers wanting lighter thinner devices, so since OEMs are stuck with the same cell dimensions, its about being power efficient right now with the chipset and screen. I'd love to see a 920 where the shell itself was solar powered and that way you charge the battery too...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

It's because in the 50's or later all the oil companies bought out the rights to battery technologies and buried them. Those rights last 50-60 years or a bit more and they're just starting to expire soon so expect to see some breakthroughs all of a sudden.
o.o really ?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, does your phone heat up using the WPC app? Mine does along with doing pretty much anything. It's very annoying. If it's software related I hope they fix it soon. If it's hardware I want a new phone!

No but it use to heat up when using the WPC app on a previous version.

I notice this happens alot with some apps lately.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

while I decided to take a break I went to listen to the ring tones windows phone has and most of then I could see myself using them :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss