WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm still trying to find out what market is there for the Porsche Design Blackberry that just came out...

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

In Switzerland we don't even have Bing maps. Doesn't really matter either with Google covering everything in great detail with air pictures, satellite pictures and street view.

We have bing maps but it not as good as google maps.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Targeted Advertising - Scary stuff and a reason why I hate google.

My sister uses a catalogue company in the UK called Very for a lot of her purchases. She asked me to look at the catalogue to pick out a xmas present, so online I went looking for a pair of headphones for gaming. Found the pair I liked and emailed her a link.

Get home yesterday to find a letter from Very inviting me to apply for a catalogue and a line of credit and since receiving that letter all my ads on youtube are for Very.

I didn't enter any personal details while on the Very website all I did was view a page. Whats worrying is that when I browsed Very it was the only explorer window I had open. So that means from the IP address of my work PC its managed to pull out my personal details from my history. Worrying to say the least.

Google is evil!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Targeted Advertising - Scary stuff and a reason why I hate google.

My sister uses a catalogue company in the UK called Very for a lot of her purchases. She asked me to look at the catalogue to pick out a xmas present, so online I went looking for a pair of headphones for gaming. Found the pair I liked and emailed her a link.

Get home yesterday to find a letter from Very inviting me to apply for a catalogue and a line of credit and since receiving that letter all my ads on youtube are for Very.

I didn't enter any personal details while on the Very website all I did was view a page. Whats worrying is that when I browsed Very it was the only explorer window I had open. So that means from the IP address of my work PC its managed to pull out my personal details from my history. Worrying to say the least.

Google is evil!!

Wouldn't that be Very is evil? They're the ones with the Cookies that pulled your personal details and it you used IE (which I assume you did) it's IE's fault for allowing that. As for YouTube they're just using your most recent viewed information that's available thanks to Very. I'm pretty confident that Very has paid for that service from Google otherwise you wouldn't see it.

Though I'm not a fan of Google or any corporation for that matter, I think they're all evil to some extent, you can't fully blame Google for this one. Cookies have always been an issue.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I am never logged into Google services, however I use a variety of adblock addons. I wouldn't even know if there are targeted commercials ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I am never logged into Google services, however I use a variety of adblock addons. I wouldn't even know if there are targeted commercials ;-)

I just ignore the ads personally. If a company pulled my data however I would be sending them a nasty email I can tell you that much.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Wouldn't that be Very is evil? They're the ones with the Cookies that pulled your personal details and it you used IE (which I assume you did) it's IE's fault for allowing that. As for YouTube they're just using your most recent viewed information that's available thanks to Very. I'm pretty confident that Very has paid for that service from Google otherwise you wouldn't see it.

Though I'm not a fan of Google or any corporation for that matter, I think they're all evil to some extent, you can't fully blame Google for this one. Cookies have always been an issue.

This is true - I guess Very is evil too - might have to send a strongly worded letter before I start getting text messages and phone calls

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Just checked on the Very website after you mentioning them using cookies - no cookie warning at all on the webpage which I thought was mandatory now.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just checked on the Very website after you mentioning them using cookies - no cookie warning at all on the webpage which I thought was mandatory now.

Sometimes they only flash it the first time when you visit the site and assume once you were there once that's acceptance. To check you can delete your cookies and history and go to the site again.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This is true - I guess Very is evil too - might have to send a strongly worded letter before I start getting text messages and phone calls

Give them hell. I wouldn't be impressed. I'm still getting text messages from a Baratt Homes when I went to view some apartments they put up. I use their system to stop them but they keep coming. :/

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

The more I learn about the way Google uses information, the more I backtrack from any of their products. I understand MS is not innocent in this and uses Bing in much the same manner as Google, but I also understand how more generic and upfront MS is about it. As this is Googles bread and butter, they have to be "blood in the water" aggresive with selling information.

Other then You Tube, I am pretty much free from Google. Which is a shame, because while I like WP better, I do enjoy Android devices and all the options out there.

I just do not trust them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo