WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ah yes.... The "Transport panic" when it snows. Amazing how people act like it has never, ever snowed anywhere ever once it happens.

On the bright side, vehicles look so nice buried in the snow up to their windshields.

In Finland there are people who go away for the winter and leave their cars just parked there. They basically turn into giant snowballs.

I think here in the UK a lot of the issues surrounding bad weather problems with transport comes down to legality (fear of being sued and insurance) rather than the actual ability to run the services.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

When I was working night shifts as a side-job, I had to drive every night at between 3 and 5 o'clock to another city to check on a building. Street conditions were sometimes pretty hairy in winter, but I like driving in snow, at least the part of me that isn't afraid. And the afraid part I just tend to minimize (but never ignore it).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

When I was working night shifts as a side-job, I had to drive every night at between 3 and 5 o'clock to another city to check on a building. Street conditions were sometimes pretty hairy in winter, but I like driving in snow, at least the part of me that isn't afraid. And the afraid part I just tend to minimize (but never ignore it).

At least driving at that time of day there's not much traffic. Still, would suck if you crashed or ended up in a ditch.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

At least driving at that time of day there's not much traffic. Still, would suck if you crashed or ended up in a ditch.

Yes, this company went into bankruptcy even without me crashing their company cars ;-)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Sometimes it's really hard to not write silly comments all over the forum. So many threads would provide perfect opportunities to make fun of :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes it's really hard to not write silly comments all over the forum. So many threads would provide perfect opportunities to make fun of :/

Yeah I have the same issue occasionally. The other is getting into arguments with people.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

In Finland there are people who go away for the winter and leave their cars just parked there. They basically turn into giant snowballs.

Okay.... I have no real idea why, but this made me laugh really, really hard!!

While I was in the Navy, I had a list of places I was excited to see. Finland and Norway were 2 places I wanted to spend some time at I never got to. Got to see both from my ship, but never got the chance to see them.

Now, I am dying to go.

I want to see the snow-ball cars!!!! :grin:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I want to see the snow-ball cars!!!! :grin:

When I was living in Finland they had the worse snowfall in Helsinki for about 7 years. It might have been a record breaker. It caught everyone by surprise. It seemed like it snowed everyday. The snow mounds were huge and the cars on the road just continued to disappear under the snow.

The snow removal crew pilled all the snow in a giant mound somewhere. We heard it took to the end of July for all the snow to melt. We had a very hot summer, which is not very comfortable in Finland.

Finland is a beautiful country and Helsinki is quite pretty.

We're planning on going to Norway probably next year to see the fjords. Not sure when yet.

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

Its DECEMBER!!!! That means Christmas is approaching woop!!! Get a nice 2 weeks off for only using 7 days annual leave :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Me too. Wish me luck with these polar lights, would be a shame if I didn't see any.

When I went to the Arctic Circle in 2005 I didn't see any lights due to the snow fall. Hopefully you have more time than I did. I was only there for two nights I think. The best time to see them is before the snow comes obviously. Are you heading up that high? You mentioned Oslo, you may not see anything from there.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

When I went to the Arctic Circle in 2005 I didn't see any lights due to the snow fall. Hopefully you have more time than I did. I was only there for two nights I think. The best time to see them is before the snow comes obviously. Are you heading up that high? You mentioned Oslo, you may not see anything from there.

I'm traveling up to Kirkenes by ship. So I'll have a few nights, let's hope the weather will be okay :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning. Back on the daily grind. Boy, last week's time off seems like it happened last year...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm traveling up to Kirkenes by ship. So I'll have a few nights, let's hope the weather will be okay :)

Oh my, that's way up there! We were only in Rovaniemi in Finland which seems so far south compared to that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo