WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Haven't seen you in a while! I think it's about the same for me. :) I'm off for two weeks at Christmas as well.

Yeah been trying to get some things sorted at work with regards my promotion. Its getting a tad annoying now though. Grrr!!! Really wanted the pay rise sooner rather than later.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah been trying to get some things sorted at work with regards my promotion. Its getting a tad annoying now though. Grrr!!! Really wanted the pay rise sooner rather than later.

I have no idea when/if I'll get a pay raise anytime soon. I was a contractor up until July this year. I'm not used to the cycle of being staff yet. Usually I got a pay raise when I changed companies in the past as a contractor. Now it's down to all the silly annoyances of being staff. I'll put up with it, for now.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I have no idea when/if I'll get a pay raise anytime soon. I was a contractor up until July this year. I'm not used to the cycle of being staff yet. Usually I got a pay raise when I changed companies in the past as a contractor. Now it's down to all the silly annoyances of being staff. I'll put up with it, for now.

I'll get a raise of about 10 % next year. Then in September. Then a year later. Then it will stay that way. It's all regulated by the university though ;-)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't even think the drone thing is cool. I can't really imagine this working. But it's a nice publicity stunt.

Well the CEO said it isn't fully ready yet. In 3-5 years, I can imagine it working. Right now, of course no. It also saves a lot of money on gas from all those UPS, FedEx, and USPS trucks.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Well the CEO said it isn't fully ready yet. In 3-5 years, I can imagine it working. Right now, of course no. It also saves a lot of money on gas from all those UPS, FedEx, and USPS trucks.

The problems I see without really reading something about it:

Safety: These drones have to be save, they have to travel over long distances reliably without falling on somebodies head or losing signal and hitting something.
Delivery: The drones have to be targeted to a certain address, this might be easy with GPS and navigation data (plus additional data about power lines which could be in the way). But then they have to deliver the package to a reasonable place, again without hitting anybody or anything.
Vandalism: There are enough people who'd like to play around with one of these drones, or just to hit it with a baseball bat.
Technical limitations: The drones would have to carry heavy packages over a long distance, something that can't be achieved for now. Can it be achieved in 3 years? There are just physical rules that can't be bended.

Or are they controlled by people? Then for each package there would have to be one drone steered by one person at the time.

I really don't see it, it feels very science-fictiony to me, but I actually don't know much.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

The problems I see without really reading something about it:

Safety: These drones have to be save, they have to travel over long distances reliably without falling on somebodies head or losing signal and hitting something.
Delivery: The drones have to be targeted to a certain address, this might be easy with GPS and navigation data (plus additional data about power lines which could be in the way). But then they have to deliver the package to a reasonable place, again without hitting anybody or anything.
Vandalism: There are enough people who'd like to play around with one of these drones, or just to hit it with a baseball bat.
Technical limitations: The drones would have to carry heavy packages over a long distance, something that can't be achieved for now. Can it be achieved in 3 years? There are just physical rules that can't be bended.

Or are they controlled by people? Then for each package there would have to be one drone steered by one person at the time.

I really don't see it, it feels very science-fictiony to me, but I actually don't know much.

You re right, they need to be safe and be delivered safely, and to try and prevent them being stolen and broken, and about the heavy packages. I feel they might have special drones to deliver these types of packages, and to not drop them. They would be large drones though.

Yes, your disadvantage list is correct, but I feel in a few years times, most of these issues will be worked out.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You re right, they need to be safe and be delivered safely, and to try and prevent them being stolen and broken, and about the heavy packages. I feel they might have special drones to deliver these types of packages, and to not drop them. They would be large drones though.

Yes, your disadvantage list is correct, but I feel in a few years times, most of these issues will be worked out.

I think a completely different mail service will be required to deliver packages with drones. I don't see this changing any time soon.Few years is more like a few decades.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

while you all talk about your snow experinces .... Ill sit here dreaming about snow.... and yes I can drive 3 hrs north past Redding to get snow but I want snow in the valley :p

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Mail drones from amazon - will never take off (pun intended) in the UK - too many pikeys with air rifles would be shooting them out of the sky and trying to sell you back your own packages

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Mail drones from amazon - will never take off (pun intended) in the UK - too many pikeys with air rifles would be shooting them out of the sky and trying to sell you back your own packages

I can imagine people doing this at the amazon drones
pewpewpew.jpg

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I should try to be a member on all the mobile sites ..... I mean when I visit imore they are too serious and scary while android central is to complicated for me and well blackberry ..... they are too proud :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb