WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 30K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Area you suggesting that the Samsung Ativ S for $243 from Expansys is better than the 822? Can you please tell me if you can get Nokia Mix Radio on it?

Expansys is selling it for $234. Brand new. Factory unlocked. Yes, it is better than the 822 in the following areas:

- For one, you will get group SMS/MMS, because for VZW phones that gets routed through the CDMA radio. That's why they removed the APN settings.
- It is the only interlop unlocked WP8 device, meaning you can potentially flash a custom ROM on it (if that's your thing)
- Bigger screen
- Lighter weight
- Bigger battery
- Updates are not determined by a carrier

The camera, storage, and design are a wash. You do lose wireless charging from the 822, but the shells can be hard to find for some. Yes, you can get Lumia Apps on it by using the Wifi Proxy trick. Just dig here in the forums.

But, that's my take on things...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Using a grappling hook to move from building to building isn't flying. That's swinging.

I suppose BP would tell you he floats from building to building from all the cake he eats - THAT'S more believable.

In bf4, you jump, then use a parachute. :)

And yeah, eating cake is a special powerup. BP gets hyper, and it makes him invincible. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As for storage, personally, if MSFT is going to keep standardizing hardware, going forward they should do this:

Low end - 8GB internal + SD slot, 1GB RAM
Mid range - 16GB internal + SD slot, 1 or 2GB RAM
High end - 32GB minimum (SD slot optional), 3GB RAM minimum.

I hope they get away from 8GB and 512MB devices completely. As for the SD card, won't matter to me one way of the other. Next phone I get will probably not have it. Not sure what I'm getting next but it probably won't have a SD slot.

I really dislike the Apple model with internal memory. It's a complete rip off to me. In my eyes a low end model should be 16GB and a top end should be 64/128GB with mid range in the middle of that somewhere. SD card or not doesn't matter to me though I know people find it important because they like to carry their whole music/video collection with them everywhere on different SD cards.

To me a 32GB is plenty as I've come no where near in filling it. So any more space would be overkill for someone like me. I just want a better experience overall. I don't see SD cards a part of a good experience. It's hampers it, especially when you have to take your phone apart to get to the SD card.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Have you done the wifi proxy trick? It won't show up on the regular store search because you're using a non lumia device and it is supposedly a Lumia exlcusive.

This is this thing with the shady Chinese server? No, I wouldn't try that. I was just checking if it's exclusive.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I feel like purchasing a World of Warcraft subscription for a month. I have some free time and I'd like to find out if I still find it lame.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Expansys is selling it for $234. Brand new. Factory unlocked. Yes, it is better than the 822 in the following areas:

- For one, you will get group SMS/MMS, because for VZW phones that gets routed through the CDMA radio. That's why they removed the APN settings.
- It is the only interlop unlocked WP8 device, meaning you can potentially flash a custom ROM on it (if that's your thing)
- Bigger screen
- Lighter weight
- Bigger battery

The camera, storage, and design are a wash. You do lose wireless charging from the 822, but the shells can be hard to find for some. Yes, you can get Lumia Apps on it by using the Wifi Proxy trick. Just dig here in the forums.

Okay how does the ATIV S stack up to the HTC 8X? Also what is your take on the ATIV S vs the Lumia 920?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

- Bigger screen
- Lighter weight
- Bigger battery

The proxy trick is not working anymore and I did a cursory look and wasn't able to find anyone with Nokia Mix Radio installed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I hope they get away from 8GB and 512MB devices completely. As for the SD card, won't matter to me one way of the other. Next phone I get will probably not have it. Not sure what I'm getting next but it probably won't have a SD slot.

I really dislike the Apple model with internal memory. It's a complete rip off to me. In my eyes a low end model should be 16GB and a top end should be 64/128GB with mid range in the middle of that somewhere. SD card or not doesn't matter to me though I know people find it important because they like to carry their whole music/video collection with them everywhere on different SD cards.

To me a 32GB is plenty as I've come no where near in filling it. So any more space would be overkill for someone like me. I just want a better experience overall. I don't see SD cards a part of a good experience. It's hampers it, especially when you have to take your phone apart to get to the SD card.

You know, Apple has said that "many people are cool with 16GB" in the iPhone. They are right, if you are one of the following two types of users:
- you don't puch much content on your phone
- you're balling on a budget, cannot afford the higher capacity and and such are OCD in content management

Guess they were moving enough units to be proven right, so everybody does this. Here's the thing though - everybody else doesn't need or isn't cuppled to a content manager: iTunes.

I used to like iTunes until it became an iSore for me, so i dropped it. My music collection is loose - i either get my stuff pirated (like in the old days) - or buy my stuff through Amazon. Consequently, I like the freedom of "drag and drop" that both Android and now WP8 offers. So no thanks for me. Some of us other users like drag and drop and not have to go through iTunes. That's why people get mad when they buy an SD card and it goes bad. I think that until cloud storage because truly feasible for all - convenient for the consumer and for the service providers (whether OEMs, carriers, etc who make money off consumers), SD cards is a helpful intermezzo.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes, you can get Lumia Apps on it by using the Wifi Proxy trick. Just dig here in the forums.

If you have an HTC 8X can you try installing this app, supposedly it is a workaround for Nokia Mix Radio
BandsAround

Thanks

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Okay how does the ATIV S stack up to the HTC 8X? Also what is your take on the ATIV S vs the Lumia 920?

Short version:

Asuming you're happy with your service provider from a price and coverage standpoint, What are your priorities? What limitations are you willing to put up with?

Of the 3 models (lumia 920/Ativ S/8X) here's the scoop:

- Ativ S offers: cheapest price for a premium handset, biggest screen, most combined storage capacity
- 8X: most pocketable, best audio (because of the built in amp, not necessarily due to Beats Audio)
- 920: best camera, best after market support (because its OEM has WP as the only OS and is selling its strong suits, which is the camera and mapping), most fixed storage capacity.

In terms of price, and we are talking international unlocked here for the US, it is Ativ S, 8X, and 920 from cheapest to expensive. Design and all that is too subjective, so i won't touch that.

For me, audio, portability (aka most pocketable), storage and camera are important. So i own a 8X to cover the first 2 and a 920 to cover the last 2. If i was more of a content on the go in terms of movies kinda guy, and didn't have a Win 8 tablet, i'd drop the 8X for the Ativ S. So my two initial questions are what you need to answer first before deciding. If you use Nokia Music alot then, getting a Nokia device helps.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

So got a phone call from the insurance company the Nokia Lumia 920 out of stock however there were 3 alternative SONY XPERIA Z, Samsung Galaxy s4 and the Samsung galaxy note 2 so I went for the SONY XPERIA Z.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes however the z going to my brother to use.

That's such a BP move. Send the phone with the crappy viewing angles to your brother - yet send him that one because it is a SONY.

All joke aside the Z is a decent phone, I'm sure your brother will like it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte