WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 30K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Just hit me I paid for alot of games and a few app on windows phone the most expensive ?5 on batman the dark knight rises!

I hope SONY make a WP device!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Short version:

Asuming you're happy with your service provider from a price and coverage standpoint, What are your priorities? What limitations are you willing to put up with?

Of the 3 models (lumia 920/Ativ S/8X) here's the scoop:

- Ativ S offers: cheapest price for a premium handset, biggest screen, most combined storage capacity
- 8X: most pocketable, best audio (because of the built in amp, not necessarily due to Beats Audio)
- 920: best camera, best after market support (because its OEM has WP as the only OS and is selling its strong suits, which is the camera and mapping), most fixed storage capacity.

In terms of price, and we are talking international unlocked here for the US, it is Ativ S, 8X, and 920 from cheapest to expensive. Design and all that is too subjective, so i won't touch that.

For me, audio, portability (aka most pocketable), storage and camera are important. So i own a 8X to cover the first 2 and a 920 to cover the last 2. If i was more of a content on the go in terms of movies kinda guy, and didn't have a Win 8 tablet, i'd drop the 8X for the Ativ S. So my two initial questions are what you need to answer first before deciding. If you use Nokia Music alot then, getting a Nokia device helps.

Appreciate the advice. I am relatively new to WP - Oct 25, 2013 onwards. I have cycled through 521, 810, 822 and 925. Currently an 810 is my daily driver. I am awaiting the delivery of a 920, hopefully today. I am trying to gauge up all the various WP devices. There was a great deal on an unlocked HTC 8X and hence the questions. I do like Nokia Mix Radio quite a bit. Also I use Nokia Panorama quite a bit as well. But I had an HTC TyTnII running WM6 which I liked as well. I am quite happy with my Samsung Galaxy (rooted) with its AMOLED screen.....

I think I will see which one between ATIV and 8X can I pick up on a bargain to try out something else besides NOKIA. I am on T-Mo and 920 and 8X support LTE but ATIV does not.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

A friend of mine translated letters from Latin to German. I'm helping proofreading the translation, it's confusing and frustrating. I really couldn't do this (even if I knew Latin).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I love you guys no way I'm going to travel specially with the cost of 1st class seat or even business!

Since I am traveling in Coach (Economy) Class tomorrow early morning, I am asking with a bit of trepidation. BigP, how about cattle class to this side of the pond?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Appreciate the advice. I am relatively new to WP - Oct 25, 2013 onwards. I have cycled through 521, 810, 822 and 925. Currently an 810 is my daily driver. I am awaiting the delivery of a 920, hopefully today. I am trying to gauge up all the various WP devices. There was a great deal on an unlocked HTC 8X and hence the questions. I do like Nokia Mix Radio quite a bit. Also I use Nokia Panorama quite a bit as well. But I had an HTC TyTnII running WM6 which I liked as well. I am quite happy with my Samsung Galaxy (rooted) with its AMOLED screen.....

I think I will see which one between ATIV and 8X can I pick up on a bargain to try out something else besides NOKIA. I am on T-Mo and 920 and 8X support LTE but ATIV does not.

Tell you what - I went with the 8X after trying a carrier variant. Of those available, if you get a hold of a cheap AT&T unlocked version, that's a nice one to try. If you can get a Rogers Ativ S (T899M, I think) that has t-mo supported LTE. Personally, I'm a HSPA+ man because all that speed I don't need since my job had me use airplane mode all day.

Unless you can get the proxy trick to work, your Nokia Panorama substitute is Photosynth, and I can look into that app for you later.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Tell you what - I went with the 8X after trying a carrier variant. Of those available, if you get a hold of a cheap AT&T unlocked version, that's a nice one to try. If you can get a Rogers Ativ S (T899M, I think) that has t-mo supported LTE. Personally, I'm a HSPA+ man because all that speed I don't need since my job had me use airplane mode all day.

Unless you can get the proxy trick to work, your Nokia Panorama substitute is Photosynth, and I can look into that app for you later.

What about the unlocked ATIV S from Expansys USA? Is that inferior to the Rogers' version?
AT&T 8X are 8GB and T-Mo 8X are 16GB. I'll take your advice and keep looking for an AT&T unlocked version.

HSPA+ works fine for me as well :) I sit in a Faraday cage of a building so it is like being in airplane mode all day :)

Thanks for the tip on Photosynth. And I will await your word on BandsMusic.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I have an HTC 8X and I wouldn't want any other phone at this point. Maybe a Lumia 925 if I'd get it as a gift.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

What about the unlocked ATIV S from Expansys USA? Is that inferior to the Rogers' version?
AT&T 8X are 8GB and T-Mo 8X are 16GB. I'll take your advice and keep looking for an AT&T unlocked version.

HSPA+ works fine for me as well :) I sit in a Faraday cage of a building so it is like being in airplane mode all day :)

Thanks for the tip on Photosynth. And I will await your word on BandsMusic.

Well, you can try to source a 16GB version of the AT&T model...unless you are secure in your reselling prowess. I actually chose the 8X because I got a project VZW model and loved it...but once I started to get friends who sent me more pictures and group SMS, the VZW issue with the 822 I described above applies here. That's why I sold it and got an unlocked model and I'm good. If you are balling on a budget, and need a carrier variant, get the AT&T model. T-mo's own didn't get the FM radio and I haven't seen anything about it getting Update 3. I know AT&T's model got it.
The ExpansysUSA model sold for $234 is the HSPA+ model, not the LTE one. That's why it is inferior to the Rogers model as the Rogers one supports t-mo's LTE. Otherwise, it is the same phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo