WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 30K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I was in Ireland last May and had some pretty good food. Italian, Lebanese, French, Indian and a typical meat and potatoes place. Not bad for a vegetarian.

So basically everything you listed almost was cuisine from other countries, not really local fare. :winktongue:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Traditional foods will always be a bit bland in Ireland and Scotland but there's a strong shift away from that or more of a modern take on it anyway. The variety of restaurants you can find in the major cities now is quite amazing. The best Chinese restaurant I've been to so far has been in Newcastle of all places.

Indian food is a big thing here and all the Asian cuisines are starting to become more popular. If you want a variety of food it's definitely here.

Agreed. Best Chinese food I have had was in Dundee of all places!
In 2008 I had Indonesian on Friday night in Copenhagen, Chinese in Stockholm on Saturday and Thai the following night...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Traditional foods will always be a bit bland in Ireland and Scotland but there's a strong shift away from that or more of a modern take on it anyway. The variety of restaurants you can find in the major cities now is quite amazing. The best Chinese restaurant I've been to so far has been in Newcastle of all places.

Indian food is a big thing here and all the Asian cuisines are starting to become more popular. If you want a variety of food it's definitely here.

Good Indian food is hard to find.
I've had some really good Indian food in Poland, Ireland, South Africa, Malaysia and of course Dubai. In India of course it is quite good!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. Best Chinese food I have had was in Dundee of all places!
In 2008 I had Indonesian on Friday night in Copenhagen, Chinese in Stockholm on Saturday and Thai the following night...

We did a traditional restaurant in Copenhagen, it was great! I had Indonesian food in Amsterdam, yeah I know, typical. We like to do the 'local' thing when in different countries just to see what the locals eat. In France we avoid the tourist areas and always ask where the locals eat. Even though we don't understand French too much we still have a great meal.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Indian food started booming here in Dallas in the late 80's Now they are all over the place. The sad thing is these hipsters that think Indian food is just naan and chicken tikken masala. Not really taking full advantage of everything else.

When I was in Bermuda for six months I ate a lot of bangers and mash. It's hard to screw up sausage, potatoes, gravy and onions. Plus who doesn't like sausage, potatoes, gravy and onions?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

We did a traditional restaurant in Copenhagen, it was great! I had Indonesian food in Amsterdam, yeah I know, typical. We like to do the 'local' thing when in different countries just to see what the locals eat. In France we avoid the tourist areas and always ask where the locals eat. Even though we don't understand French too much we still have a great meal.
As a vegetarian, trying out local fare does not always work out for me. BTW I had amazing Cajun pasta at a brew pub in Minnesota. Speaking of Cajun, Commanders Palace in New Orleans is amazing, what about the bread pudding!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Good Indian food is hard to find.
I've had some really good Indian food in Poland, Ireland, South Africa, Malaysia and of course Dubai. In India of course it is quite good!

Next time you're in London go to one of the Masala Zone restaurants. If you want vegetarian there's Sgar in Coveant Garden. one of the Masla Zone restaurants is also in Covent Garden.

If you want fancy there's The Cinamon Club, I went there for my birthday last year.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Indian food started booming here in Dallas in the late 80's Now they are all over the place. The said thing is these hipsters that think Indian food is just naan and chicken tikken masala. Not really taking full advantage of everything else.

When I was in Bermuda for six months I ate a lot of bangers and mash. It's hard to screw up sausage, potatoes, gravy and onions. Plus who doesn't like sausage, potatoes, gravy and onions?

Dallas! Chuy's FTW!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

You guys make me hungry and wanting to travel. I'm just in a dilemma, I don't know with whom to travel. My old travel buddy has now his girlfriend he travels with, and the planned travels with my long-term date are now gone to waste after we broke it off.

Well, I'll have to see. I didn't put any effort into finding someone who has time yet.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

We now have a bunch of world travelers and foodies who have taken over! This is what MSFTisMIA will say soon.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

As a vegetarian, trying out local fare does not always work out for me. BTW I had amazing Cajun pasta at a brew pub in Minnesota. Speaking of Cajun, Commanders Palace in New Orleans is amazing, what about the bread pudding!

Commander's Palace is excellent, I don't think I've had the same meal twice there. Their bourbon sauce is what puts their bread pudding a notch above others. But I've been to a couple of seafood dives there that have had excellent bread pudding with bourbon sauce.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3