WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: WPC 30K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I think I might have to stand on the train....

I hope that is the worst thing that happens all day, buddy. Get that bad ju-ju out of the way early. The rest of the day will fall into place. No problem. Rabbit's foot meets winning lotery numbers kind of good.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

While those of us who like W8 may defend it, sales show Windows 7 users just weren't ready for such a radical change. And it was a silly decision. Moving to a tile format was fine, but laptops/PCs are not mobile devices. And the sales of Laptop/PC's still far, FAR outsell tablets. Like, to the tune of 5-1 almost in 2013. Keeping Windows 8 mouse friendly was so important.

I am glad they are backtracking a little. Get more people to use Windows 8, get them used to it. That is vital to the ecosystem they are trying to build.

I agree. I think unifying tablets and desktops is great. But the Windows 8.2 (or whatever they will call it) vision is much better.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

@unstoppablekem:

Thanks for the link!! Not sure how these awards are dolled out- can't be by post count, B.P. and Sahib are 2/3 of the traffic on WPC- but it is kinda cool. I can go tell my wife I have been awarded a shout out, and get the special parking spot in front of WPCHQ, which is right next door to the Justice League offices.

And congrats to you!! Being the ambassador of the month HAS to carry some serious juice with it. Like, you get to pick the music that gets played in the WPCHQ elevators.

You truly deserve it, buddy.

Congratulations! You've done a great job. :smile:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Is 24" to 27" a big step? 17" to 19" was quite impressive. I'm still struggling with the decision ;-)

I just went from a 22" display to a 27" display and yeah it's a big step up. As with any display increase it'll really hit you for a week or two then it'll become the 'norm' and using smaller displays will become more challenging :wink:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

While those of us who like W8 may defend it, sales show Windows 7 users just weren't ready for such a radical change. And it was a silly decision. Moving to a tile format was fine, but laptops/PCs are not mobile devices. And the sales of Laptop/PC's still far, FAR outsell tablets. Like, to the tune of 5-1 almost in 2013. Keeping Windows 8 mouse friendly was so important.

I am glad they are backtracking a little. Get more people to use Windows 8, get them used to it. That is vital to the ecosystem they are trying to build.

I think the issue is less with Windows 8/8.1 and more with users not upgrading their OS unless they upgrade the hardware. The 'average Joe/Jane' who isn't a tech geek or early adapter has no need to buy a new PC to get Windows 8/8.1 and has no need to upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 on his/her current PC. Most consumers don't just go out and buy upgrades of Windows because it's available, nor do they just go out and buy new PCs just because they feel like it. The current hardware and software they have is 'good enough', so they won't buy new machines (with a new OS) until their old hardware bites the dust.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I just went from a 22" display to a 27" display and yeah it's a big step up. As with any display increase it'll really hit you for a week or two then it'll become the 'norm' and using smaller displays will become more challenging :wink:

At work I would like to have one or two more displays. The two I have are not enough. :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I think the issue is less with Windows 8/8.1 and more with users not upgrading their OS unless they upgrade the hardware. The 'average Joe/Jane' who isn't a tech geek or early adapter has no need to buy a new PC to get Windows 8/8.1 and has no need to upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 on his/her current PC. Most consumers don't just go out and buy upgrades of Windows because it's available, nor do they just go out and buy new PCs just because they feel like it. The current hardware and software they have is 'good enough', so they won't buy new machines (with a new OS) until their old hardware bites the dust.

I believe you nailed it. The PC market is why it is because there's simply no reason to upgrade. The majority of people see no need even then, some are realising they can use tablets for their needs in 99% of cases so they're migrating to that. Unfortnately they're going for iPads and Androids.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So I am driving back in the night and the check engine light comes on....and based on the behavior of the car it is probably another ignition coil....So far it would make the 4th bad ignition coil. I have replaced three before. On Monday I plan to get the one bad one fixed and am probably going to trade this damn piece of junk in. I am so mad at Toyota because apparently it is a problem with this particular model but they will only fix one bad one at a time rather than replacing all 6 ignition coils....sorry for the rant...long story short I had to rent a car for the weekend trip, there goes some extra money down the drain on top of the cost to fix the bad coil on Monday...grrrrr...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So I am driving back in the night and the check engine light comes on....and based on the behavior of the car it is probably another ignition coil....So far it would make the 4th bad ignition coil. I have replaced three before. On Monday I plan to get the one bad one fixed and am probably going to trade this damn piece of junk in. I am so mad at Toyota because apparently it is a problem with this particular model but they will only fix one bad one at a time rather than replacing all 6 ignition coils....sorry for the rant...long story short I had to rent a car for the weekend trip, there goes some extra money down the drain on top of the cost to fix the bad coil on Monday...grrrrr...
Good luck with the car issues. I hope you either get them sorted or get a more reliable car!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That really sucks. I've been reasonably lucky with cars lately. Even our cheap used one we bought here in the UK has been pretty good. Only some minor issues. We're planning on getting a newer one in the near future as the car doesn't really suit us but it does the job. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786