WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 30K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So, for the next two days (possibly) there's a strike happening in London for Tube (underground) staff. There's canceled services and reduced services. Needless to say I'm glad I don't commute to London!

They're striking over planned job cuts and ticket office closures. I sympathize with them to some extent. Sad reality is that as time goes by these types of jobs are going to slowly disappear.

Almost all of the bus/train tickets here are purchased on machines. There are not many ticket offices with actual persons anymore.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Everyone's going red with their avatars etc. I might have to change mine again!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Almost all of the bus/train tickets here are purchased on machines. There are not many ticket offices with actual persons anymore.

We also have an electronic card system called the Oyster card. Lots of people use them. They still plan to have staff at the major places but just not as much. I can see why this upsets people but this is sadly the reality of modern life. Automation systems take over eventually.

We constantly joke how machines will one day do our job here. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

it wont work because my ex would do it to me and it would only work if I would see it ...same apply to you ....it doesn't work on the internet ! :cool: and I have shades

When I only read this quote I thought it was about some kind of sexual stimulation...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

We also have an electronic card system called the Oyster card. Lots of people use them. They still plan to have staff at the major places but just not as much. I can see why this upsets people but this is sadly the reality of modern life. Automation systems take over eventually.

We constantly joke how machines will one day do our job here. :p
Do you have self service checkouts at the grocery stores? We have those here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Do you have self service checkouts at the grocery stores? We have those here.

Yep, very common here at all grocery stores. When I was in Canada they had them but were not used as much as they are here. Can't blame them as they were horrible to use.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

When I only read this quote I thought it was about some kind of sexual stimulation...

If you think that is bad you should read the previous pages.... I was having a really difficult time not taking it the wrong way.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yep, very common here at all grocery stores. When I was in Canada they had them but were not used as much as they are here. Can't blame them as they were horrible to use.

I only use the self service checkout if I have a few items. If I have many items, I'll have a clerk do the checkout.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

****, my HP Veer is stuck at the HP logo, ugh, screw this, i'll wait for the battery to die.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I only use the self service checkout if I have a few items. If I have many items, I'll have a clerk do the checkout.

Same. Anything more than 10 items I go to a normal checkout though there are some stores where I used them regardless.

In some of our stores they have a new self scan system that you scan as you shop and then you just pay at the check out. They're becoming popular.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

They are usually not in use in Switzerland, but there are many installed as pilot project.

I think they are active in some stores but not the majority, Swiss people are slow in this way, and here I think this is good. I don't want to do the store's job if I have to pay the same price anyway.

They want me to work for free that they can fire their staff? Screw you stores...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They are usually not in use in Switzerland, but there are many installed as pilot project.

I think they are active in some stores but not the majority, Swiss people are slow in this way, and here I think this is good. I don't want to do the store's job if I have to pay the same price anyway.

They want me to work for free that they can fire their staff? Screw you stores...

There are two types of people. Those who refuse to use the self checkouts and those who want the convenience of options. I don't want regular checkouts to close but I do want the option to use the express checkout so I don't have to wait at long lineups.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

There are two types of people. Those who refuse to use the self checkouts and those who want the convenience of options. I don't want regular checkouts to close but I do want the option to use the express checkout so I don't have to wait at long lineups.
I agree. If I'm just buying a gift card, I'd rather use self checkout than wait in line. There isn't anything to even bag.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Will Smith's in i, Robot side ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

In Switzerland you have to bag everything yourself :)

Yes, that's typical of most of the EU. Here in the UK you can get 'help' if you need it. Also depending on the store you go to. We have various levels of grocery stores here. Some are better with customer service than others.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Yes, that's typical of most of the EU. Here in the UK you can get 'help' if you need it. Also depending on the store you go to. We have various levels of grocery stores here. Some are better with customer service than others.

Here, the biggest difference is the price and how the groceries are presented...

I don't usually go to the very expensive stores, but in the lower to medium price classes the differences are really minor in general customer service. People are usually friendly (I think this is store policy, people have gotten more friendly in recent years, or maybe people are just more friendly because I'm older, I don't know), but there are the impolite ones too, in all of the stores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786