WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 50K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Okay, just a short overview about my languages and language skills.

My native language is Swiss German, a very strong dialect of German that most Germans don't understand. It has many specific words and sometimes very strange grammar. So the first language I had to learn was actually German. I speak it fluently, have however a slight Swiss accent. I guess I write it better than most Germans, just because I like languages and I have a high level of education. The second language I had to learn at school was French. Unfortunately French and I aren't on the best of terms. I had years and years of French classes, I have spent multiple times time in French speaking areas to learn the language, most notably around 3 months in Paris where I visited a French language school. As I however never use the language in everyday live, most of it got lost over time. I can follow basic conversations, but I couldn't participate. For like two semesters I took Italian, but if this post wasn't about languages, I wouldn't even mention it.

English we had later in school, and I just love English. It's also very easy to stay in touch with this language, as a lot of our popular culture comes from English speaking countries. Like movies, music and books. And now that I'm a scientist, English is the language of science, so I speak it quite often.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Not many in North America use the 24hr clock, they often refer to it as 'Army time' usually. Same goes for Australia, it's not common for people to use 24hr clocks. It's really an EU thing. Not sure who else uses it as common.

Sahib was right, military time since all branches of the military use it. I was in the Navy and we certainly didn't refer to it as army time.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Okay, just a short overview about my languages and language skills.

My native language is Swiss German, a very strong dialect of German that most Germans don't understand. It has many specific words and sometimes very strange grammar. So the first language I had to learn was actually German. I speak it fluently, have however a slight Swiss accent. I guess I write it better than most Germans, just because I like languages and I have a high level of education. The second language I had to learn at school was French. Unfortunately French and I aren't on the best of terms. I had years and years of French classes, I have spent multiple times time in French speaking areas to learn the language, most notably around 3 months in Paris where I visited a French language school. As I however never use the language in everyday live, most of it got lost over time. I can follow basic conversations, but I couldn't participate. For like two semesters I took Italian, but if this post wasn't about languages, I wouldn't even mention it.

English we had later in school, and I just love English. It's also very easy to stay in touch with this language, as a lot of our popular culture comes from English speaking countries. Like movies, music and books. And now that I'm a scientist, English is the language of science, so I speak it quite often.

Is Swiss German like American Spanish like splangish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers