WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 50K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I imagine a sound wave as a pressure difference in air (in my brain I have a picture of molecules getting closer together and then moving way from each other). It's three dimensional and spreads in all directions. The wavy line is just a mathematical representation of the progressing pressure.

I'll take the wavy line ...i can't picture molecules....yet

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

There's no need to picture molecules in this instance.

Would be a pretty awesome simulation if the movement of single molecules would be calculated according to different sound waves. There must be labs that do that though.

I'd take single lines any time ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

ah ok! Continue With your explanation,im curious@_@

I'll do my best to keep things simple.

First you need to understand analogue and digital, for this case. Analogue is 'real world' information. In this case, sound waves. Digital is a representation of analogue in a digital format, 1s and 0s.

What happens first is the conversion of an analogue signal into digital. This happens by the use of a Analogue Digital Converter (ADC). They're quite complex so I'll keep this simple as possible. ADC have a resolution. This resolution generally represents its sample rate of the analogue signal. You may have heard of 16bit sound cards? The bits is the resolution. Commercial bit rates are around 24bits. This means you'll get a high quality of sampling.

Now when you have the information stored as digital you need to convert it back to analogue as we can't hear digital. So this means you need a Digital Analogue Converter (DAC). A DAC, like an ADC has a sample rate as well. What this does is it takes the digital information and converts it back to an analogue signal so we can hear the sound. A speaker, for example, doesn't work on a digital signal, it requires an analogue signal. A speaker is very much like our ear. It receives a signal and it vibrates to produce sound.

All sound media works like this. There is no other way to do it as far as I know. Does that make sense?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I'll do my best to keep things simple.

First you need to understand analogue and digital, for this case. Analogue is 'real world' information. In this case, sound waves. Digital is a representation of analogue in a digital format, 1s and 0s.

What happens first is the conversion of an analogue signal into digital. This happens by the use of a Analogue Digital Converter (ADC). They're quite complex so I'll keep this simple as possible. ADC have a resolution. This resolution generally represents its sample rate of the analogue signal. You may have heard of 16bit sound cards? The bits is the resolution. Commercial bit rates are around 24bits. This means you'll get a high quality of sampling.

Now when you have the information stored as digital you need to convert it back to analogue as we can't hear digital. So this means you need a Digital Analogue Converter (DAC). A DAC, like an ADC has a sample rate as well. What this does is it takes the digital information and converts it back to an analogue signal so we can hear the sound. A speaker, for example, doesn't work on a digital signal, it requires an analogue signal. A speaker is very much like our ear. It receives a signal and it vibrates to produce sound.

All sound media works like this. There is no other way to do it as far as I know. Does that make sense?

I had to read it 5 times to get it and visualize it. So the first part doesn't really apply to mp3, or cd players Or any music playing device but more if its to analyze it on the computer because it only reads 0 and 1. The second part applys to the things that produce music. Since its being converted to analog so we can hear it needs electricity to travel up the wires to hit the driver to make sound.
That's how I understood it

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I had to read it 5 times to get it and visualize it. So the first part doesn't really apply to mp3, or cd players Or any music playing device but more if its to analyze it on the computer because it only reads 0 and 1. The second part applys to the things that produce music. Since its being converted to analog so we can hear it needs electricity to travel up the wires to hit the driver to make sound.
That's how I understood it

Im sure you learn this in secondary school well I learnt all this in secondary school.

About sound waves and what they do etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786