WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 50K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Okay here's my story.

I had a Microsoft ergonomic 4000 wireless keyboard a few years ago and the markings wore off on it after about a year. So I had it replaced and a couple of years later the same keys wore off and even didn't work well. It was a membrane keyboard and squishy to type on, so I thought I'd treat myself to a mechanical keyboard that would last.

I got a new (at the time) Corsair M60 and K60. Mouse and keyboard. This was Corsairs first try at mechanical keyboards and after about 2 weeks the letters on the keys were starting to wear. I got a few replacements and ended up with a perfect keyboard. Loved it for nearly 2 years, the best typing experience I've had.

Then I did the unthinkable and spilt some orange juice near to the number pad on the right of the keyboard. I thought it might be okay if I let it dry out in a warm room like an airing cupboard for a week. So I did... No luck. Every time I pressed a key like 'a', 'djfbd24' or some similar nonsense appeared. I took it to a friends house and we took the keyboard apart, used mechanical keyboard switch cleaner and Isopropyl alcohol to really give the keyboard a good clean down. Or as much as we could - they individually soldered each key onto the circuit board so we only had access to one side of the keyboard.

So we cleaned it and then put it back together like new. Then we put it in the dishwasher on rinse to make sure there was no chance any orange residue was on the circuit board at all. We dishwashed it twice just to make sure.

Then I let it dry in a warm airing cupboard for 2/3 weeks. Now when I pressed 'a' it typed 'az'. All of the rest of the keyboard worked perfect except the bottom two typing rows. So I knew I had about a month left on my Corsair warranty and even though I was pretty sure I didn't have a hope of then saying they would replace it, I had to know before I went out and bought another keyboard.

On top of this my mouse was unable to update its firmware so I thought I'd get that replaced before the warranty ran out.

So I spoke with Corsair, told them the keyboard isn't working on the bottom two rows and they said they would have a look. Again, I didn't really expect them to do anything, but I had to know even if it meant paying to get it to them.

They arranged an RMA and I asked if they could collect it, they agreed to get both items in one load. After a day or two I was told that they would commit to replacing my mouse but since they didn't make the M60 would I be prepared to get an M65, the latest model, as a replacement. I said I didn't mind but I still hadn't heard anything about the keyboard. Then they said they were willing to replace the keyboard but they would have to send out a different model as the older one was no longer made. They asked if I'd mind if they replaced it with the latest fully mechanical backlit version K70, but the keyboards are on back order and it might be May or June before I got the replacement. I said I didn't mind because getting a replacement at all was good enough, after all if they had just shipped it back I planned to sell the broken keyboard as spares and repairs on Ebay.

Then yesterday I got emails saying both the mouse and keyboard had shipped and should be with me in 1-2 business working days.

So I bought a Mouse and Keyboard 2 years ago worth about ?120 and they are being replaced with another set, newer, worth about ?200.

That's why it was the best day ever and why it was all thanks to Corsair!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

FOUR DAYS EVERYBODY!!!

Four Days To Go!

Its BUILD. No biggie. All the tech sites will probably just bash everything MS. Nothing to get excited about anyway. No new phones until a month or so later. Not updates until probably August or September. Yeah I'm excited. :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not too mention that the WP update might not even be the RTM build they're going to show. I can only imagine what could go wrong...

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Its BUILD. No biggie. All the tech sites will probably just bash everything MS. Nothing to get excited about anyway. No new phones until a month or so later. Not updates until probably August or September. Yeah I'm excited. :/

I hope not I can't hold off any longer than June.

I hope MS got racked with sense and will get devices out by May at least and I think they show off some hardware at build from different OEM's.

I'm being optimistic!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

MS might surprise us all!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I hope not I can't hold off any longer than June.

I hope MS got racked with sense and will get devices out by May at least and I think they show off some hardware at build from different OEM's.

I'm being optimistic!

Oh I know. I lost my optimism when I realised we weren't on a yearly update cycle. Unless by some miracle, we won't get the WP8.1 update until almost 2 years after the release of WP8. That's pretty sad. 2 years is a very long time in the mobile industry even though it has slowed a touch in the hardware department. My phone will be 2 years old in January. Yeah I'm thinking of getting a new phone but I have to see what I think when the time comes.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I wonder what happens to my 8X. Maybe they can fix it by freshly installing the entire software. When they have to replace it, with what will they replace it?

I want my 8X back :( Let's check if the camera started to work again. No, still nothing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I wonder what happens to my 8X. Maybe they can fix it by freshly installing the entire software. When they have to replace it, with what will they replace it?

I want my 8X back :( Let's check if the camera started to work again. No, still nothing.

Bummer. :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I am so bored. :/ I may have to seriously start considering a new job. :/ My wife won't like that though. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's what I get for getting into a field that doesn't really interest me. :/ Damn my guidance counselors. :p They were pretty useless and one was even a touch nasty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster