WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

What I like about the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini:

+ Hardware design (even though it's made from plastic...)
+ Widgets, freedom of creating a homescreen that's a mix between iOS (icons) and WP (tiles -> widgets)
+ Notification center; Short access to some settings with the power button
+ Apps (including perfect OneDrive access and Office), also detailed battery and data usage
+ VPN
+ Google Maps and Google Search integration

What I dislike

- Software Design. I think it's okay in general, but some of the apps are disgusting. It's not that bad though, instead of the ugly Samsung calendar it's possible just to download the stock calendar and this one is quite alright.
- The nostalgia factor, I used WM and WP for years
- Battery. This is very phone specific, but with a similar use as the 8X the battery is always warning me in the evening. It never turned of though.
- Non removable stock software. This is bad. All this Samsung crapware.

Everything is pretty much comparable to Windows Phone I guess, at least in the way I use my phone.

I think I find it so great because it's something entirely new and Microsoft is just still so slow.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What I like about the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini:

+ Hardware design (even though it's made from plastic...)
+ Widgets, freedom of creating a homescreen that's a mix between iOS (icons) and WP (tiles -> widgets)
+ Notification center; Short access to some settings with the power button
+ Apps (including perfect OneDrive access and Office), also detailed battery and data usage
+ VPN
+ Google Maps and Google Search integration

What I dislike

- Software Design. I think it's okay in general, but some of the apps are disgusting. It's not that bad though, instead of the ugly Samsung calendar it's possible just to download the stock calendar and this one is quite alright.
- The nostalgia factor, I used WM and WP for years
- Battery. This is very phone specific, but with a similar use as the 8X the battery is always warning me in the evening. It never turned of though.
- Non removable stock software. This is bad. All this Samsung crapware.

Everything is pretty much comparable to Windows Phone I guess, at least in the way I use my phone.

I think I find it so great because it's something entirely new and Microsoft is just still so slow.

If you decide to go Android you can get a Nexus device otherwise you can flash a ROM and replace the what's on the phone.

WP8.1 has brought some of those features over but Google services will be an issue until people start developing apps for them. The release of the .NET APIs will probably help with that so long as Google doesn't keep changing things every other day. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

If you decide to go Android you can get a Nexus device otherwise you can flash a ROM and replace the what's on the phone.

The Galaxy S4 has better hardware than the Nexus and costs the same in Switzerland. But I'm worried that a flashed ROM might not be as stable as the original or that there could be issues?

WP8.1 has brought some of those features over but Google services will be an issue until people start developing apps for them. The release of the .NET APIs will probably help with that so long as Google doesn't keep changing things every other day. :p

I looked at the hands-on WP notification video for example. Everything it can, the S4 Mini can already, only that the S4 Mini can do more...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The Galaxy S4 has better hardware than the Nexus and costs the same in Switzerland. But I'm worried that a flashed ROM might not be as stable as the original or that there could be issues?

You'd have to investigate the best ROMs. There are some that are stock Android.

I looked at the hands-on WP notification video for example. Everything it can, the S4 Mini can already, only that the S4 Mini can do more...

I didn't have a chance to check any of the videos out so I'm slightly in the dark about what features are available. The keynote didn't have much on it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

You'd have to investigate the best ROMs. There are some that are stock Android.

Yes, I'll wait and see for a bit anyway now :)

I didn't have a chance to check any of the videos out so I'm slightly in the dark about what features are available. The keynote didn't have much on it.

You haven't missed much I think. It's still more or less the same, except that you can now destroy the design language with custom backgrounds (it's really about the worst solution of all the concepts I have seen in these forums, at least to my taste) and there's a notification center. And they finally managed to add a week view. Also FM radio now has it's own app ;-)

Basically it's just what leaked.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I'll wait and see for a bit anyway now :)

You haven't missed much I think. It's still more or less the same, except that you can now destroy the design language with custom backgrounds (it's really about the worst solution of all the concepts I have seen in these forums, at least to my taste) and there's a notification center. And they finally managed to add a week view. Also FM radio now has it's own app ;-)

Basically it's just what leaked.

Flashing ROMs, provided you can read correctly and follow instructions precisely (something a scientist like yourself shouldn't have problems doing) is virtually noob proof for many Nexus line ROMs because of so much development. As an Android secondary user, custom ROMs are great. In fact my Z Ultra is the first Android I haven't rooted and run a custom ROM on in years because of the caveat of losing LTE speeds on my model (that wouldn't happen with the Nexus 5). It does give you more options and the ability to remove an OEM skin.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's so many people asking questions that simply no one really knows the answer to.

Apparently the new SDK answers some things but most devs don't with the threads here.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Oooohhhhh cortana <3 so my 920 is australian, my 8x is british :p and 1020 is an arab.... :eek: lol maybe we can flash the US rom to get cortana :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oooohhhhh cortana <3 so my 920 is australian, my 8x is british :p and 1020 is an arab.... :eek: lol maybe we can flash the US rom to get cortana :p

Quite the international collection you have there. :p

From what little information that is going around all you need to do is change the regional settings but I'm not confident about that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb