WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Aren't we always, weren't we always?

Of course, viruses can be spread more easily than ever before, which means more people can be affected, and the virus can evolve better due to the broader host range and selection. That means that there have to be people thinking about what to do if such a case will ever arrive. But as many of these experts earn their money with exactly this, of course they want us to have this in mind all the time and people who are afraid are more happy to spend money for their safety. (I think that's very similar to starting a war...)

Personally I don't worry about some super pandemic. And I'm working in an infection biology lab after all ;-)

Also, few viruses have a cure. What we usually do is get some painkillers and wait until our own immune system gets rid of it. Or we suppress the virus that it can't act anymore, like in HIV infections. That virus we carry forever, and it's the same for example for Herpes.

maybe you can make a cure and sell it to us Arabs....and we will give you lots of money and you'll be rich :D yayyy :cool:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh shh stop scare mongering :p lol

I don't worry about it. I just note it as a possibility and live my life normally. :p

I just realise that the spread of any 'super virus' could happen fairly quickly these days due to our ability to travel fairly quickly. Keep in mind that last major one was less than a 100 years ago killing about 50 to 100 million people. Known as the Spanish Flu. The main issue with the flu types is that most people will think it that way, still go to work, travel, etc. That's the problem.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

"the end is near"

Hardly, there are always those who are immune. Also depends what you mean by 'end'. Humans can disappear tomorrow. The planet and universe will keep going. We are just one point in time in the grand scheme of things.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Hardly, there are always those who are immune. Also depends what you mean by 'end'. Humans can disappear tomorrow. The planet and universe will keep going. We are just one point in time in the grand scheme of things.
I always used to think as a kid what would happen to the universe after everyone is dead :/ and then I'd get confused and stop thinking

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

maybe you can make a cure and sell it to us Arabs....and we will give you lots of money and you'll be rich :D yayyy :cool:

I don't work on viruses.

Many viruses include their genes into the DNA of their host. The only way to get rid of the virus then is to kill off the cell. Our body does that, killing infected cells. But it's not always that easy, and if too many cells get killed that's not healthy either. But this also makes it incredibly hard to cure such a virus infection.

Fiddling with human DNA (a cure had to be based on that) is very risky and can be much more harmful than the virus itself. And it easily leads to cancer. So I'm actually glad I don't have to find a solution for those problems ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I always used to think as a kid what would happen to the universe after everyone is dead :/ and then I'd get confused and stop thinking

The universe will continue on whatever journey it started. Current models show it being a heat death many billions of years in the future. Some people have issues thinking of things like that though.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

I don't work on viruses.

Many viruses include their genes into the DNA of their host. The only way to get rid of the virus then is to kill off the cell. Our body does that, killing infected cells. But it's not always that easy, and if too many cells get killed that's not healthy either. But this also makes it incredibly hard to cure such a virus infection.

Fiddling with human DNA (a cure had to be based on that) is very risky and can be much more harmful than the virus itself. And it easily leads to cancer. So I'm actually glad I don't have to find a solution for those problems ;-)
Cancer is no bueno :( when i was in high school my friends mother had leukemia and she died.. It was all sadness around the school.... We had our exams too then

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

The universe will continue on whatever journey it started. Current models show it being a heat death many billions of years in the future. Some people have issues thinking of things like that though.
Global warming will kill us sooner than we thought in my opinion

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Global warming will kill us sooner than we thought in my opinion

I think it will kill off a significant portion of the human population but probably not everyone. We're too adaptable. That's of course if we don't have a pandemic first. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Cancer is no bueno :( when i was in high school my friends mother had leukemia and she died.. It was all sadness around the school.... We had our exams too then

My father died of cancer when I was in the last year of my undergraduate course. It wasn't easy.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

I think it will kill off a significant portion of the human population but probably not everyone. We're too adaptable. That's of course if we don't have a pandemic first. :p
Or people who work in a lab can risk their lives :p and make a cure for the dying!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You know. It's Friday. Even though the weather here is crap, we should be a lot happier. :p

I am happy, I am happy about WP8.1, I am happy about the camera I will soon get, and I am happy to have the greatest girlfriend how lets me shower at her place.

Swipe is great too.

And it's Friday :)

I almost forgot, I will also get tons of free food today. That makes me happy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs