WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Today I came into work at 10 (usually I'm in at 8) and went straight to the canteen with my girlfriend. Just behind me, my boss came in, looked at me and said: "We have a problem!"

It was about our hypothesis ;-)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Well, it's a problem nonetheless, I realized that before but I thought I'd just have to look deeper into it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

my ex was obsessed with lil wayne :p

Lil Wayne? He's obsessed with feces and being an ******* to women. No surprise there...

Google "Lil Wayne feces", I can't post the link as the URL gets censored. Or better, just Google "A Comprehensive Guide to Lil Wayne's **** References" instead.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I did read through the previous posts and I noticed some talk of LED lights. I'd like to pass on my knowledge of them. I'm not an expert but I can safely say I probably know way too much about them.

Where does my knowledge come from you may ask? Simple. I'm in charge of lighting design on this very large project. I've had three vendors come in to discuss LED lighting for industrial lights. We're talking high power and special here. However, the knowledge is the same regardless.

1.To start. If you have fluorescent tube lights (not bulbs), do not replace them with LEDs currently as the savings in energy consumption is no different. The only benefit is long life. So wait until your fluorescent lights blow and get a completely new fixture to use LEDs. If you have a fluorescent light bulb in a cold area and have trouble turning it on, replace it with LED. Fluorescent lights are terrible with cold temperatures.

2. If you're going to buy LEDs make sure you get the latest generation. I believe we're in second gen at the moment. Don't wait for the next gen as LED technology hasn't peaked yet. What's available now is very good for the average household.

3. With LEDs it's not the actual LED that is the weakest point, it's what's known as the driver, or the electronics that drive LEDs. This will fail long before your LEDs do.

4. LEDs hate heat. When you buy a LED bulb insure it has a good heat dissipation. For example, if you buy a spot light ensure it has a nice heatsink to lose heat otherwise you simply won't get the long life out of them.

5. LEDs are direct light. The most important factor in design is the reflector in the bulb you buy. Ensure you're getting the best angle for your situation.

6. There are two types of light colour typically. Day Whites and Warm White. The Day White will feel very 'blue' in essence. It's a different light than what you're used to. So be careful when you purchase. If you want something similar to what you have now, it's most likely a Warm White you're after.

7. Lastly, you need to buy special 'dimmerable' LED bulbs if you plan to use a dimmer. You won't be able to do it with regular LED bulbs. Also I've been told the effect may be a bit weird.

Obviously the cost savings in using LEDs is enormous. Using a simple example. A 100W light bulb can be replaced by a 10W LED. To put that into perspective, that's 10X less power.

If you need any help choosing bulbs let me know. I can go over the technical specs and ensure you get a good bulb. Most should be very good these days but sometimes you can get a bad batch, just like smartphones.

Kazashimo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

Good info.
I'm currently attending college for a degree in lighting and sound design.

I did read through the previous posts and I noticed some talk of LED lights. I'd like to pass on my knowledge of them. I'm not an expert but I can safely say I probably know way too much about them.

Where does my knowledge come from you may ask? Simple. I'm in charge of lighting design on this very large project. I've had three vendors come in to discuss LED lighting for industrial lights. We're talking high power and special here. However, the knowledge is the same regardless.

1.To start. If you have fluorescent tube lights (not bulbs), do not replace them with LEDs currently as the savings in energy consumption is no different. The only benefit is long life. So wait until your fluorescent lights blow and get a completely new fixture to use LEDs. If you have a fluorescent light bulb in a cold area and have trouble turning it on, replace it with LED. Fluorescent lights are terrible with cold temperatures.

2. If you're going to buy LEDs make sure you get the latest generation. I believe we're in second gen at the moment. Don't wait for the next gen as LED technology hasn't peaked yet. What's available now is very good for the average household.

3. With LEDs it's not the actual LED that is the weakest point, it's what's known as the driver, or the electronics that drive LEDs. This will fail long before your LEDs do.

4. LEDs hate heat. When you buy a LED bulb insure it has a good heat dissipation. For example, if you buy a spot light ensure it has a nice heatsink to lose heat otherwise you simply won't get the long life out of them.

5. LEDs are direct light. The most important factor in design is the reflector in the bulb you buy. Ensure you're getting the best angle for your situation.

6. There are two types of light colour typically. Day Whites and Warm White. The Day White will feel very 'blue' in essence. It's a different light than what you're used to. So be careful when you purchase. If you want something similar to what you have now, it's most likely a Warm White you're after.

7. Lastly, you need to buy special 'dimmerable' LED bulbs if you plan to use a dimmer. You won't be able to do it with regular LED bulbs. Also I've been told the effect may be a bit weird.

Obviously the cost savings in using LEDs is enormous. Using a simple example. A 100W light bulb can be replaced by a 10W LED. To put that into perspective, that's 10X less power.

If you need any help choosing bulbs let me know. I can go over the technical specs and ensure you get a good bulb. Most should be very good these days but sometimes you can get a bad batch, just like smartphones.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Kazashimo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

What software are you using for lighting design?

I haven't gotten that far. I'm trying to get all my basics out of the way... Which isn't a lot, but I changed my degree, so I took more classes than needed.

Anyway, here is my degree plan if you're curious

usa8u7ub.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

I'm having lab...college is no fun now that it's the third day...dissection :/ we're already cutting =| and then i have a basketball 🏀 game!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05