WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It should have been a special live tile you can pin or unpin if you want. Have the drop down should have been for the other bits only.

I personally seem them straying from the original vision of WP. People don't seem to care, all they want is what they had on Android. There's so many ways to do things that could have kept with the WP theme. I think WP will either morph into a hybrid of some sort or die.

Nah. Replace Search with Charms and port the Charms bar. Replace Devices with Notifications. Problem solves itself.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I don't personally like the notification centre. It's annoying.

I'm not overly fussed with the charms bar either.

It's a solution I tried to pitch a while back to prevent Windows Phone from becoming too much like Android. It would also make porting between Win8 and WP8 much easier as a bonus.

Plus, I like the fact that I can control everything I need to from the Charms bar. I also wanted a way to make the Search button more useful, to those who don't utilize it.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I have only ever used it to turn of my computer, before I made the shortcut...
It's quicker to Alt+F4>Enter>Enter.

Then again, the keyboard renders the Charms bar useless at times.
Win-Q to search, Win-P to project, Win-D to desktop, Win-X for advanced options, Win for Start...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's a solution I tried to pitch a while back to prevent Windows Phone from becoming too much like Android. It would also make porting between Win8 and WP8 much easier as a bonus.

Plus, I like the fact that I can control everything I need to from the Charms bar. I also wanted a way to make the Search button more useful, to those who don't utilize it.

Having a notification centre went against the whole WP philosophy. People just complained continually and MS caved. As for the search button I find that annoying on WP and wish it was something I could turn off.

Both notifications and search should be turned off for games as an option.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Win-Q to search, Win-P to project, Win-D to desktop, Win-X for advanced options, Win for Start...

Are you trying to teach me Windows shortcuts?

When I have my hand on the mouse, and I usually have when I want to turn of my computer, it's much quicker just to hit Win and then click on the shortcut.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

It should have been a special live tile you can pin or unpin if you want. The drop down should have been for the other bits only.

I personally seem them straying from the original vision of WP. People don't seem to care, all they want is what they had on Android. There's so many ways to do things that could have kept with the WP theme. I think WP will either morph into a hybrid of some sort or die.

I think it works be a time waster as a live tile. If you have a whole bunch of notifications then you would either have to wait for the tile to flip through them all (or scroll though them once they make interactive tiles) or open the app and wait for it to load everything - which would take way longer than just swiping down from the top of the screen to see the notifications and quick settings. Plus its way easier to get to the settings now. Sure I could've pinned the settings tile to the top of the start screen (I did that on my 900) but that means I'd have to press start and then move my finger to where I had it to open it if I wasn't already in the start screen. I think it's all about reducing time/unnecessary sleeps with the notification center being like it is.

Don't you think thinking WP will die is just a little under thought? WP will never have multiple home screens or look like anything that will go against their branding. And so what if people want it to be more like Android? Since they won't change the UI, it could only mean more features and more people migrating to WP.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Having a notification went against the whole WP philosophy. People just complained continually and MS caved. As for the search button I find the annoying on WP and wish it was something I could turn off.

Both notifications and search should be turned off for games as an option.
The only negative I see to a notification center is if it's filled with spam, or devs stop taking advantage of live tiles to their fullest extent.

However, I see this as an extension of the WP philosophy.
I can glance at my 630's Start Screen and immediately know the following: I have at least one PBA game to watch tomorrow, I have no new emails, messages or missed calls, Engadget is hyping Asus' trade show, China is aggravating the Philippines by reclaiming land at the Spratlys, and there is a backlash for the Obama administration's response to Bergdahl's kidnapping. That's not even half of the info I set up.

The question is, what about the stuff I missed out on? Surely, there's a way to catch up! And, behold. Notification center.
(I just want this to be tied to Live Tile updates, so I can control which apps can notify me.)

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I've tested to swipe to the previous app I was using on my 1520 so much that I can't even count how many times I've done that.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Don't you think thinking WP will die is just a little under thought?

So much thinking ;-)

WP will never have multiple home screens or look like anything that will go against their branding. And so what if people want it to be more like Android? Since they won't change the UI, it could only mean more features and more people migrating to WP.

They changed the UI from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 (7.8) already.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Are you trying to teach me Windows shortcuts?

When I have my hand on the mouse, and I usually have when I want to turn of my computer, it's much quicker just to hit Win and then click on the shortcut.
No. Just that the keyboard blows the Charms bar out of the water.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Not too useless if you have the charms on the keyboard like with the Surface keyboards.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

They changed the UI from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 (7.8) already.

They also did so to accommodate larger devices in Update 3, though it was optional.

Besides, all they did add were small tiles, which can be just as informative given the right kind of app and live tile.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Not too useless if you have the charms on the keyboard like with the Surface keyboards.

The charms are on the keyboard. You toggle the charms using the keyboard.

I stand by my statement that the keyboard blows Charms out of the water, but in more ways than one this time ;)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I think it works be a time waster as a live tile. If you have a whole bunch of notifications then you would either have to wait for the tile to flip through them all (or scroll though them once they make interactive tiles) or open the app and wait for it to load everything - which would take way longer than just swiping down from the top of the screen to see the notifications and quick settings. Plus its way easier to get to the settings now. Sure I could've pinned the settings tile to the top of the start screen (I did that on my 900) but that means I'd have to press start and then move my finger to where I had it to open it if I wasn't already in the start screen. I think it's all about reducing time/unnecessary sleeps with the notification center being like it is.

Don't you think thinking WP will die is just a little under thought? WP will never have multiple home screens or look like anything that will go against their branding. And so what if people want it to be more like Android? Since they won't change the UI, it could only mean more features and more people migrating to WP.

I didn't say take the settings away just the notifications. I was thinking more of a live tile that expands not opening an app or waiting for it flip. That's what I meant by special.

My point about WP is they are dammed if they do and dammed of they don't. They're in a no win situation. Devs still ignore WP. Major apps still missing. Still low take up in the USA and their services in other countries is subpar. So how long do you keep kicking a dread horse? Or drop it to a 3rd world market and forget about the USA? Where is the point of failure?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb