WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

They also did so to accommodate larger devices in Update 3, though it was optional.

Besides, all they did add were small tiles, which can be just as informative given the right kind of app and live tile.

They did more than that. They were so proud of the negative space of the Windows Phone 7 home screen.

Why the Windows Phone 7 Start Page Has Blank Spots | Pocketnow

I don't find the Microsoft feature about it right now, but they explained this in detail. Only to forget everything about it for Windows Phone 8. They changed their design philosophy heavily with this switch.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Having a notification centre went against the whole WP philosophy. People just complained continually and MS caved. As for the search button I find that annoying on WP and wish it was something I could turn off.

Both notifications and search should be turned off for games as an option.

This is why I wanted all new Windows Phones to have virtual buttons - if you didn't want the search button it works be easier to have add a way to just remove it - or add a quick setting instead like cellular data or Wi-Fi, but that would sort of do the same thing as the notification center so...

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Okay, that's it. Let's call it a day for intense tech debate and let sahib into the thread again.

(And what happened to those pictures?)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

This reminds me of a certain cryst-fairy who kept screaming "Keep going!", at least until her plan to please her master was complete.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I didn't say take the settings away just the notifications. I was thinking more of a live tile that expands not opening an app or waiting for it flip. That's what I meant by special.

My point about WP is they are dammed if they do and dammed of they don't. They're in a no win situation. Devs still ignore WP. Major apps still missing. Still low take up in the USA and their services in other countries is subpar. So how long do you keep kicking a dread horse? Or drop it to a 3rd world market and forget about the USA? Where is the point of failure?

Well now that more developers are starting to develop for Windows Phone and helping it even more to become the fastest growing OS things might change in the near future, especially when they overtake iOS in 2017 like IDC predicted.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Well now that more developers are starting to develop for Windows Phone and helping it even more to become the fastest growing OS things might change in the near future, especially when they overtake iOS in 2017 like IDC predicted.
If there's one thing I learned during my time in the tech world, it's "don't trust analysts."
They rely on conditions remaining constant for their predictions to be accurate.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I wrote that before, when you have almost no marketshare it's very easy to have the fastest growing OS. Growth is relative. If you sell one phone in one month, and then two phones the next month, you have a growth of 100 %. When Apple sells a million phones in one month and a million and one phone the next phone, they have no growth at all.

Anyway, I'm off to dinner and a concert.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

If there's one thing I learned during my time in the tech world, it's "don't trust analysts."
They rely on conditions remaining constant for their predictions to be accurate.

Well I'm saying that mainly because I think it'll definitely happen in a few years - I never read their report or anything just their prediction.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I wrote that before, when you have almost no marketshare it's very easy to have the fastest growing OS. Growth is relative. If you sell one phone in one month, and then two phones the next month, you have a growth of 100 %. When Apple sells a million phones in one month and a million and one phone the next phone, they have no growth at all.

But some developers might not think that and seeing that might help to get them onboard with WP.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Good luck at your dinner and concert.

Break a leg! (Figuratively, of course.)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

But some developers might not think that and seeing that might help to get them onboard with WP.
I don't know. The Wii U had an impressive sales bump lately, but I still don't see that third-party support.

Growth is irrelevant if you don't have a large installed base to begin with.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

When you're last any step you take looks large. So fastest growing OS in 3rd world countries. More devs but not the main players. So 3rd party apps which to some means 3rd class.

2017 is three years away. All it would take is Apple to make a good budget phone and WP would be screwed.

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. The Wii U had an impressive sales bump lately, but I still don't see that third-party support.

Growth is irrelevant if you don't have a large installed base to begin with.
And please don't tell me you see that kind of growth only in small markets.

The Wii U doubled its sales...in Japan. And they sold roughly 16-17k units. (Selling more than the PS3, PS4 and XBOX 360 combined.)

EDIT: I was trying to state a parallel example, since I have not hard numbers for WP as a whole.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss