WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

its pretty cool that I have a free membership to amazon prime because im in college ...but I don't use it :/. I get free 2 day shipping but I don't buy a lot of stuff

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Antibiotic resistances are a main tool of bacteriology. It has many applications, mostly for selection purposes.

If you bring a plasmid (a DNA fragment that works like a little genome) into bacteria, you usually have a antibiotic cassette on it. The bacteria that take up the plasmid will express proteins that make them resistant to the antibiotics and will thus survive and/or grow, while bacteria without them will die or not grow. After bacteria have taken up the plasmid and are selected for it, you have to keep growing them in the antibiotics, as they would lose the plasmid after a while without it (replicating the plasmid costs time and energy, if they don't need it it will get lost as the bacteria without it will just grow faster).

Another application is the selection for successful transductants after bringing a gene into the bacteria with viruses.

It can also be used as a negative selection tool, to select for the bacteria that have lost the sensibility to antibiotics (you have to screen for them on plates with the antibiotics and without them).

This is only a selection of the most broadly used applications of antibiotics. It's an elementary tool of our work.

Now about the color changing part. There are multiple different screening methods that rely on colonies that change color. Bacteria do however not just change color when they express a resistance gene. We use multiple antibiotics (I work with ampicillin and tetracycline on a daily basis) and they don't change color only because of the resistance cassette.

I don't know to what screen or gene you were referring to :)
Thanks for the descriptive info and for taking the time to type such a long post ✉😊 . I read about plasmids and all the other stuff in high school 📚 but not in such detail as you have described. It's amazing to know you are doing this stuff practically...... What to do,I'm in India-they don't have much in terms of lab infrastructure and research here for biology :( You must be from the U.S., no?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the descriptive info and for taking the time to type such a long post ✉ . I read about plasmids and all the other stuff in high school  but not in such detail as you have described. It's amazing to know you are doing this stuff practically...... What to do,I'm in India-they don't have much in terms of lab infrastructure and research here for biology :( You must be from the U.S., no?

I'm a very fast in typing and this stuff just flows out of me ;-)

Often I realized only later what I was actually supposed to learn in high school. Often you learn something but you don't really get the connection to practical things. It's much harder to remember that way and not understanding why you have to learn this stuff does never help.

I'm from Switzerland. I didn't have too much biology before entering university what also has to do with quite a strange way I took to get there. As of universities, there are quite some good universities in India with top-notch infrastructure :)

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I'm a very fast in typing and this stuff just flows out of me ;-)

Often I realized only later what I was actually supposed to learn in high school. Often you learn something but you don't really get the connection to practical things. It's much harder to remember that way and not understanding why you have to learn this stuff does never help.

I'm from Switzerland. I didn't have too much biology before entering university what also has to do with quite a strange way I took to get there. As of universities, there are quite some good universities in India with top-notch infrastructure :)
Hmm... Which universities do you mean?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss