WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Hmm.... Other than the app store and dev support,I don't see how ios is better than WP 8.1.....

Isn't that enough? LOL! What more do you want?

Here in the UK and most likely in North America and probably most of the EU, everything is set up for iPhone first. They have the market on things. I can't knock that.

The iPhone, like WP, is set up for the 'first world'. Constant data connection, WiFi everywhere. I don't have an SD card in my L920 and I don't suffer. Small screen? They'll have a larger one soon. They have fantastic screens too. Aside from the tap to wake and glance, I'm pretty confident all those other things you listed the iPhone has. I know there's a file manager app and I wouldn't be surprised that the others are covered. The difference is that with iPhone you need to 'pay' for the apps in most cases.

Also, let's not forget one thing. iPhone apps are superior to WP apps in most ways. They're constantly updated. We have apps in the store that haven't been updated in months, if not years. Some are mainstream.

So in what way is iPhone better than WP? Probably most ways.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I have an iPad, I pretty know exactly what I'd get with an iPhone. Amazing hardware and amazing apps. Also useful features like VPN. Also, iPhone 6 will most likely have the perfect screen size 4.7 and a big screen size 5.5.

Windows Phones are losing the camera button more and more... The 930 doesn't have Glance or dual SIM...
Hmm.. The iPhone's hardware is a dual core processor and 1 gb ram, which can be found in the 2 years old Lumia 920 and 820. I agree that the Apple app store is amazing-it is pretty well the only major thing that Windows Phone lacks right now.VPN is present in Windows Phone 8.1. Windows Phones and Androids have had big screens since last year. Apple is late to the game on that feature...
Only budget Windows Phones like the 630 lack the camera button.... It is otherwise found in the high end phones like the 930,830 and 1520. Anyway the iPhone is a high end phone, so not having a camera button isn't kind of justified. The 930 may not have glance right now, but Daniel stated that Nokia's engineers will eventually come up with a solution for that. Dual SIM is present in budget phones only.... Even in Android phones you can observe this pattern. Though a dual sim 930 would be fantastic. Anyway the point is Windows Phone and Android offer a lot of variety and choice to the consumers. IPhone doesn't. If you want dual sim, you can get a 630. For a great camera, get a 930/1020. If you want them all(glance,camera,930 specs) there's a phone for that too -the 1520.And it is cheaper than the iPhone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Hmm.. The iPhone's hardware is a dual core processor and 1 gb ram, which can be found in the 2 years old Lumia 920 and 820. I agree that the Apple app store is amazing-it is pretty well the only major thing that Windows Phone lacks right now.VPN is present in Windows Phone 8.1. Windows Phones and Androids have had big screens since last year. Apple is late to the game on that feature...
Only budget Windows Phones like the 630 lack the camera button.... It is otherwise found in the high end phones like the 930,830 and 1520. Anyway the iPhone is a high end phone, so not having a camera button isn't kind of justified. The 930 may not have glance right now, but Daniel stated that Nokia's engineers will eventually come up with a solution for that. Dual SIM is present in budget phones only.... Even in Android phones you can observe this pattern. Though a dual sim 930 would be fantastic. Anyway the point is Windows Phone and Android offer a lot of variety and choice to the consumers. IPhone doesn't. If you want dual sim, you can get a 630. For a great camera, get a 930/1020. If you want them all(glance,camera,930 specs) there's a phone for that too -the 1520.And it is cheaper than the iPhone.

Not everyone wants a giant phone. I'm one of them. Also, FYI, the iPhone screen is IPS LCD. The graphics GPU is quad core. It may be a dual core CPU but as many keep saying, is a quad core necessary?

I thought I've heard many times over that the L930 aka Icon will never have glance or tap to wake due to hardware limitations. As for dual SIM, I don't need it, neither do most people.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Are we really having this discussion? The iPhone 5S was just as fast as the Android competition when it was released, it's not just about big numbers. Anyway, I was more referring to the build quality, not whether a game runs with 32 or 33 frames. (They often don't run at all on Windows Phone, because they are not released there...)

VPN is only on Windows Phone 8.1 that it makes the feature list, that it can be used as an argument. It's so limited that it's only in rare cases really usable.

Daniel stated that Nokia's engineers will eventually come up with a solution for that.

Yeah sure, because Microsoft is always fulfilling promises, most of all promises they didn't even make in the first place...

Anyway the point is Windows Phone and Android offer a lot of variety and choice to the consumers. IPhone doesn't. If you want dual sim, you can get a 630. For a great camera, get a 930/1020. If you want them all(glance,camera,930 specs) there's a phone for that too -the 1520.And it is cheaper than the iPhone.

Yeah, and I would like to have all the features I want in one phone, not fragmented over many phones. I don't need dual SIM. I don't need Glance. I don't need double tap to wake (the iPhone has actually a hardware button for that). I don't need a dedicated hardware button for the camera (I can't take pictures anyway with that on my 8X, the button is too uncomfortable to use, I only take pictures by just taping where I want to focus).

What I need is a good and reliable phone with good and reliable apps, that takes good pictures and has a good performance. What I want is serious software support by the company that sold me the phone, not a company that rather dilutes its focus with promoting Android devices while needing 4 years for the first OS feature update.

Also, the 930 might be cheaper than an iPhone, but it's certainly more expensive than the direct Android competition. It's far too expensive in any way you look at it.

Of course, I'm just talking about me, in no way I'm generalizing this. There might be many people for whom the iPhone is a suboptimal choice. You however try to tell me the iPhone is a bad choice for everybody. It's not.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

You might remember that I wanted to do a two day hike in the mountains this weekend. However we are having a cold spell with snow down to 2000 meters. The lodge is over 2000 meters. Also, it will most likely rain next weekend and the way up is rather difficult and not recommended to do when it's raining.

So it looks rather bad...

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Are we really having this discussion? The iPhone 5S was just as fast as the Android competition when it was released, it's not just about big numbers. Anyway, I was more referring to the build quality, not whether a game runs with 32 or 33 frames. (They often don't run at all on Windows Phone, because they are not released there...)

VPN is only on Windows Phone 8.1 that it makes the feature list, that it can be used as an argument. It's so limited that it's only in rare cases really usable.

Yeah sure, because Microsoft is always fulfilling promises, most of all promises they didn't even make in the first place...

Yeah, and I would like to have all the features I want in one phone, not fragmented over many phones. I don't need dual SIM. I don't need Glance. I don't need double tap to wake (the iPhone has actually a hardware button for that). I don't need a dedicated hardware button for the camera (I can't take pictures anyway with that on my 8X, the button is too uncomfortable to use, I only take pictures by just taping where I want to focus).

What I need is a good and reliable phone with good and reliable apps, that takes good pictures and has a good performance. What I want is serious software support by the company that sold me the phone, not a company that rather dilutes its focus with promoting Android devices while needing 4 years for the first OS feature update.

Also, the 930 might be cheaper than an iPhone, but it's certainly more expensive than the direct Android competition. It's far too expensive in any way you look at it.

Of course, I'm just talking about me, in no way I'm generalizing this. There might be many people for whom the iPhone is a suboptimal choice. You however try to tell me the iPhone is a bad choice for everybody. It's not.
I'm sorry If I offended you :) My point wasn't that iPhone is bad for everybody, it is that they don't offer choice. Also as I said earlier I agreed about the app store point....I dunno why you are picking on that so often. It's quite a different Mindset here in India. iPhone has very less market share. Android and Windows Phone dominate here. I guess this discussion will never end in anyway you look at it.....I feel you should go for a phone you like after researching the pros and cons.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry If I offended you :) My point wasn't that iPhone is bad for everybody, it is that they don't offer choice. Also as I said earlier I agreed about the app store point....I dunno why you are picking on that so often. It's quite a different Mindset here in India. iPhone has very less market share. Android and Windows Phone dominate here. I guess this discussion will never end in anyway you look at it.....I feel you should go for a phone you like after researching the pros and cons.

I am not offended, just discussing ;-)

Well, my girlfriend told me recently I take such discussions too seriously, I always thought I'm just very focused, concentrated and try to make my arguments as clear as possible.

Switzerland is iPhone country (I just found a source that states market share of the iPhone at 56 %), that means that most apps are first released on iPhone, then at the same time or a little later on Android, and usually never on Windows Phone. Also international apps are so much worse on Windows Phone, including the apps I use the most, Whatsapp and Spotify. Hence my frustration with the app store and why I'm picking on it so often.

I also understand that Apple doesn't offer low cost hardware or specialized features like dual SIM. That's the reason why I said my post is specifically from my view, I'm looking for a high-end device.

Also, according to the sources I found, in India Android is leading with over 90 % market share. That's a pure Android domination with Windows Phone very much behind. But it's true that iOS is even lower than Windows Phone.

Source for Swiss iPhone market share (in German): http://www.comparis.ch/telecom/mobile/news/2014/02/smartphone-markt-2014-iphone-android.aspx

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So, after using NSU, doing a hard reset and starting fresh, no backup used, I think my phone is ok.

It hasn't over heated excessively yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6