WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Funny thing, this camera is from last year and still only takes 12 MP pictures. And I'm glad about it, the JPGs are still up to 7 MB. And with a resolution of 4000 x 3000 I'm certainly ready until they release the next thing after 4K, as I only look at them on screens and most certainly won't print a large poster.

That's why I don't get the MP craze of phones. I rather rely on an optical zoom and a bigger sensor/lens for quality...

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Funny thing, this camera is from last year and still only takes 12 MP pictures. And I'm glad about it, the JPGs are still up to 7 MB. And with a resolution of 4000 x 3000 I'm certainly ready until they release the next thing after 4K, as I only look at them on screens and most certainly won't print a large poster.

That's why I don't get the MP craze of phones. I rather rely on an optical zoom and a bigger sensor/lens for quality...
Hmmm... The 1020 will maybe take better pics than this,no? 41MP lossless zoom.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm... The 1020 will maybe take better pics than this,no? 41MP lossless zoom.

It's lossless zoom in theory and it's certainly better than digital zoom. However it can't beat optical zoom as it will only use a fraction of its sensor for this kind of "zoom", while keeping the limits of the very small lens.

Our results show the benefits of zooming in with a compact camera over even the best-in-class smartphone. The Lumia 1020's digital zoom simply can't stack up against the Canon S120's optical zoom. The Canon can not only zoom in further, it also retains detail and sharpness better when zoomed in to its full 5X power.

Putting Nokia's zoom claims to the test: Lumia 1020 smartphone versus Canon PowerShot S120: Connect

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Very nice pics Chregu!

I didn't know Switzerland had lizards! Things you learn. :)

I agree with your assessment of optical vs lossless zoom. I know the 1020 is great but it doesn't beat a real optical zoom.

We're taking our DSLR with us to Switzerland when we go. Let's see the 1020 beat my 300mm :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Very nice pics Chregu!

I didn't know Switzerland had lizards! Things you learn. :)

I agree with your assessment of optical vs lossless zoom. I know the 1020 is great but it doesn't beat a real optical zoom.

We're taking our DSLR with us to Switzerland when we go. Let's see the 1020 beat my 300mm :p

It's an Alpine salamander, I have never encountered one before. However I have seen a few Fire salamanders which are pretty amazing too.

Sand lizards and their relatives are everywhere :)

The pictures are actually from the same region as you will go to. South of Spiez. You won't go there however, it's not very touristic. Nothing but nice hiking trails :)

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

the way I see it is that the 1020 is good enough to replace your point and shoot :)

Good for you!

I prefer to have a very fast autofocus and almost no pause between shots, I also prefer to have an optical zoom. I prefer a variety of manual settings including adjusting aperture and shutter speed to a very high extent. As far as I know that's also possible with the 1020, but due to its limited optics I don't expect it to have a too amazing effect. But most of all, most of all I prefer to not worry about the battery.

I also prefer a slim phone.

But you're of course right, I still want to have a good camera in my phone as I only take my dedicated camera to special places. Even though it's very small.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

the way I see it is that the 1020 is good enough to replace your point and shoot :)

But still not good enough to challenge a DSLR. I'm actually itching to put the 1020 vs my Nikon P5100, which is an older camera but has enough manual controls to blow away most point and shoots. I pull that bad boy out on serious vacations and special special occasions only...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Good for you!

I prefer to have a very fast autofocus and almost no pause between shots, I also prefer to have an optical zoom. I prefer a variety of manual settings including manually adjusting aperture and shutter speed to a very high extent. As far as I know that's also possible with the 1020, but due to its limited optics I don't expect it to have a too amazing effect. But most of all, most of all I prefer to not worry about the battery. I also prefer a small phone.

But you're of course right, I still want to have a good camera in my phone as I only take my dedicated camera to special places. Even though it's very small.

yup I do that too. I bring my sanyo camera for special events and trips. for parties and any other things I use my phone because its more easier to take with me

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Because I like my 1020 :p and you're just jealous you don't have one :p lol

I could easily buy the phone with the hardware that was outdated when the 920 was released but that is still so much heavier than the 920 even though I think that that thing was already huge. I definitely don't want to though.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

But still not good enough to challenge a DSLR. I'm actually itching to put the 1020 vs my Nikon P5100, which is an older camera but has enough manual controls to blow away most point and shoots. I pull that bad boy out on serious vacations and special special occasions only...

I use my Canon 600D everytime. :p my L1020 can't take pictures like my DSLR it just can't!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

yup I do that too. I bring my sanyo camera for special events and trips. for parties and any other things I use my phone because its more easier to take with me

I also wonder how well the 1020 had performed under these conditions I had this weekend. All these very bright whites and the very dark greens. I'm actually amazed how well the S120 did.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

I could easily buy the phone with the technology that was outdated when the 920 was released but that is still so much heavier than the 920 even though I already think that that thing was huge. I definitely don't want to though.

You do know I was kidding? Right? Lol

I find 920 wayyyy heavier than my 1020, the reason why my phone slips through my hands!!
Or maybe I'm just used to heavy phones!!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I also wonder how well the 1020 had performed under these conditions I had this weekend. All these very bright whites and the very dark greens. I'm actually amazed how well the S120 did.
maybe it would of performed well not sure if they fixed the white balance issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12