WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I like iOS.

The iPhone is just solid. Based on history it gets OS updates for 4 years, the OS is very mature and has all the important features, the app ecosystem is amazing. The camera is very good and the phones are beautiful and very slim.

However, while I think the iPads and Macs are becoming reasonable priced, the iPhone is still very expensive. But the 16 GB is alright, and as I don't watch movies on my phone and use Spotify, that will be enough for me.

I don't know enough about iOS to say one way or the other. I'm just not an Apple fan. I'd feel too much like following the flock to ever want one. I find all their products over priced but well built.

I'm not sure if any of their phones suffer the same things as the Nokia's do but I don't frequent their sites to know. I should investigate it one day.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Well, to me iPhone is far too expensive. On my carrier 16GB iPhone is exactly 100? more expensive than 32/3 GB LG G3 . And it's, well even more boring than windowsphone.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. Color me Mr. Cynical, but right now I don't see anything on the market worth seriously hooting and hollering over. The G3 is nice, the Z2 is nice, the M8 is solid, the iPhone 5S is good, the 930 is solid and the S5 is solid. No real headliners and honestly speaking, with the high end market oversaturated, gone are the days of yearly revolutionary tech. Now is where consumers need their short list of what they really want and to spend money appropriately.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Morning folks. Color me Mr. Cynical, but right now I don't see anything on the market worth seriously hooting and hollering over. The G3 is nice, the Z2 is nice, the M8 is solid, the iPhone 5S is good, the 930 is solid and the S5 is solid. No real headliners and honestly speaking, with the high end market oversaturated, gone are the days of yearly revolutionary tech. Now is where consumers need their short list of what they really want and to spend money appropriately.

I'm not really expecting much out of hardware these days. From a hardware perspective I just want a good battery, nice screen and something that looks nice. Of course I want good specs in general.

What matters most is software now. Ignoring the eye candy nonsense that people seem to treasure all I really want is a solid OS which works. I have no idea about iOS but so far WP hasn't been perfect and Android though OK but is not perfect either. I've had some minor things with both but nothing overly serious. From a usability aspect I think Android offers more for me as it has the apps I want. From a ease of use aspect I think WP is better in some regards. However on the whole WP has failed more on me than Android.

I wouldn't call either interface 'beautiful' as some people seem to do. To me an interface is about getting what I want done with minimum headache. I don't care about eye candy. I want utility. That's more important to me above all else. I know people call iOS boring but you could say the same about Xp and Win 7 yet people screamed like bloody murder when MS brought in W8. So I don't quite see the whole boring interface vs utility thing. Maybe it's just me.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Nokia isn't Finnish anymore, and the screen of the Lumias are just as breakable as those of every other phone.

I had a Nokia 3310 with 16, I guess most people making these cartoons were around 2 to 4 at this time...
Microsoft Mobile is still located in Espoo, Finland.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I feel exactly the same. There's nothing that really blows me away. A year ago it would have been the HTC One M7 I think, except of the camera. And even back then it was only because I like metal phones and HTC.

As we already know what the iPhone 6 will look like and bring to the table with iOS8, I don't think that will change much. But I've already bought an international navigation software for my iPad, so that would be an argument. But not really, as a highend Android phone would still be much cheaper than an iPhone and I could easily afford another navigation software for Android ;-)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't call either interface 'beautiful' as some people seem to do.

It was special and refreshing 4 years ago, and I think on Windows Phone 7 it was also beautiful, but at the same time very unpractical. Actually back then they were very proud of the negative space. They later forgot everything about this for Windows Phone 8 with tiles over the entire screen width that are resizable; much more practical, but not really beautiful to my taste. It can be extremely busy...

Still I think it's nice, I think it's really okay, but nowadays it's neither beautiful nor refreshing, nor in any way special.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

What's with all the Nazi related comments as soon as Germany is mentioned in any way? This is not even silly anymore, it's plain stupid.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That is ridiculous, I have read many a complaint about the battery, particularly after PFD. Do you think Cyan will fix it? Or, is the hardware just unable to keep up/work well with 8.1?

I'm assuming it's the lack of the Cyan update that's doing it. I am on WP8.1 at the moment. My phone heats up fairly easily doing the most basic of tasks. Heat and batteries do not go well together.

I did a reinstall of the WP8 firmware, upgraded to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Though it's a bit better than it used to be it's still sub par. I've not been impressed with the L920 batter life since I had the phone. It's been worse than mediocre. Now it's just simply dreadful. I simply hate taking it anywhere when I know I can't easily recharge it. Thankfully restaurant we had dinner at had outlets available so I was able to recharge before heading home. Our trains are still ancient and lack any of the modern comforts like a USB charging port or outlet.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I'm pressed for time, since I still have to review for a few tests.

It's been quite some time since I used Firefox and Opera, and one thing strikes me quite deeply.
Firefox looks like Chrome. Opera works like Chrome.

Looks like the browser (engine) battle in the next few years will be Blink (sorry WebKit, but your flagship browser looks like Chrome now and is more bloated.) and Trident.

All I know is that the devs are siding with WebKitBlink.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I'm pressed for time, since I still have to review for a few tests.

It's been quite some time since I used Firefox and Opera, and one thing strikes me quite deeply.
Firefox looks like Chrome. Opera works like Chrome.

Looks like the browser (engine) battle in the next few years will be Blink (sorry WebKit, but your flagship browser looks like Chrome now and is more bloated.) and Trident.

All I know is that the devs are siding with WebKitBlink.

This was very random.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm assuming it's the lack of the Cyan update that's doing it. I am on WP8.1 at the moment. My phone heats up fairly easily doing the most basic of tasks. Heat and NiCad batteries do not go well together.

I did a reinstall of the WP8 firmware, upgraded to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Though it's a bit better than it used to be it's still sub par. I've not been impressed with the L920 batter life since I had the phone. It's been worse than mediocre. Now it's just simply dreadful. I simply hate taking it anywhere when I know I can't easily recharge it. Thankfully restaurant we had dinner at had outlets available so I was able to recharge before heading home. Our trains are still ancient and lack any of the modern comforts like a USB charging port or outlet.
I'm curious, does your phone really use a NiCad battery? Last I checked, most phones nowadays go with a Li-ion battery.

Of course, heat degrades (and can cause spectacular accidents) both batteries.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

It was special and refreshing 4 years ago, and I think on Windows Phone 7 it was also beautiful, but at the same time very unpractical. Actually back then they were very proud of the negative space. They later forgot everything about this for Windows Phone 8 with tiles over the entire screen width that are resizable; much more practical, but not really beautiful to my taste. It can be extremely busy...

Still I think it's nice, I think it's really okay, but nowadays it's neither beautiful nor refreshing, nor in any way special.
Three-tile row for the win!

You may not appreciate it, but I do...because it allows me to emulate the WP7 Start Screen. (Well, it has five or so tiles per column instead of just four.)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm curious, does your phone really use a NiCad battery? Last I checked, most phones nowadays go with a Li-ion battery.

Of course, heat degrades (and can cause spectacular accidents) both batteries.

My mistake. No difference though with regards to heat issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss