WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Since we're talking computers.

First - Commador Pet (didn't own it was at school, late 70s) Wopping 4k RAM and 5 1/4" floppy disk
Second - Timex Sinclair 1982 2k RAM, tape drive
Third - Atari ST (around 1985) I think I had 512kb RAM, 3 1/2" floppy
Fourth - IBM (yes an actual IBM) 486SX (around 95?)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm still amazed that Knights Of The Old Republic looks as good on the iPad Air as it did on my gaming computer back in the times. Technology, it's progressing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Thank you! Wow look at the size of these computers...Seems Semiconductors really made PCs smaller. Thanks to the person who invented the technology!(Was it Tesla? IDTS, I'll search on wiki when I'm home ��.)

It's more progressive rather than a single invention. It appears Bell Labs was the ones who got transistors (what CPUs are made of) going using them for amplification.

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

It's more progressive rather than a single invention. It appears Bell Labs was the ones who got transistors (what CPUs are made of) going using them for amplification.

Actually I know the first transistor was made in bell laboratories by William shockley, bardeen and brattain

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Actually I know the first transistor was made in bell laboratories by William shockley, bardeen and brattain

There were other inventions leading up to it was what I was implying. The idea that you can get a voltage across silicon, etc. It wasn't like they went, poof, here's a transistor.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This will be even a harder sell than this 3D gesture stuff rumored for the next high-end Windows Phone device...

People were playing around with holographs in the 90s/2000s. Funny how that has sort of drifted like virtual reality.

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

There were other inventions leading up to it was what I was implying. The idea that you can get a voltage across silicon, etc. It wasn't like they went, poof, here's a transistor.

Yes very often it the guy who is famous or at the top rank gets all the credits. Still being an engineer I can say that there is a certain satisfaction in doing things and innovating. The awards and honour parts don't bother me.

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

The tech wasn't good enough back then to keep up with the novel nature of the idea.

I think Holographic technique is quite good nowadays with those real life projections. In India this technology was used by our current prime minister to address rally in different started at the same time

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
WPC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I think Holographic technique is quite good nowadays with those real life projections. In India this technology was used by our current prime minister to address rally in different started at the same time

I just had a look at the Wikipedia article about holograms. I don't understand them, but I am pretty sure there's no application like in science fictions.

Many of the "holograms" in current American TV news programs and shows were just inserted computer animations.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Wow today was a very serious thread about computers and cellphone and mote computers

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo