WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Actually, no. No offense but if I had a $1000 for everyone who said "Nokia should have gone with Android", I'd have enough money to buy Nokia myself. Nokia was is dire straits. MSFT offered the most cash to bail them out. No one else was going to help them out like that. Look at how crowded Android is. Only Samsung makes serious money. LG, Sony, HTC have very good offerings and they're barely gonna turn a profit. So all of a sudden Nokia would instantly stop bleeding cash and money would be raining in like Samsung or Apple if they have just ported over Android? Seriously?

The problem is Nokia had a good market in the emerging markets and that was due to their low end phones and Symbian being a pretty open system. Nokia cannot survive on emerging markets alone though. No one really cared much about Nokia anymore. A couple of places here and there in the EU.

Without a large market and relying on low end phones only, Nokia wouldn't be able to survive unless it made major cuts itself.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I've been watching YouTube and playing Arkham Origins all day long for the past however long I haven't been here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've seen some celebs in person, with less make up and they look really good...good enough to ****. They're a ton a better looking normal people out there too. The big issue is that we train our youth to be so beauty obsessed across contemporary cultural lines these days that all many people want is fakeness. Look at the British girl with spend all that money just to look like Kim K. That's just not cool right there.

I just finish watching a series on BBC called the 'Men who made us spend'. It's based on another documentary called the 'Light bulb conspiracy' which talks about how products are engineered with obsolescence. Both are good and are real eye openers. The BBC one is three episodes. All four explain our messed up society pretty well... from an economic point of view.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The problem is Nokia had a good market in the emerging markets and that was due to their low end phones and Symbian being a pretty open system. Nokia cannot survive on emerging markets alone though. No one really cared much about Nokia anymore. A couple of places here and there in the EU.

Without a large market and relying on low end phones only, Nokia wouldn't be able to survive unless it made major cuts itself.

Exactly. HTC experienced the reverse when the bailed on the low and market to share Apple like profits. They produced some good high mid ranged devices they sold at high end prices and bombed out.

The trick is that what may be needed is the switch to competent software to accent very solid hardware at each price point. It isn't about hardware anymore - that's what Apple has shown.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Exactly. HTC experienced the reverse when the bailed on the low and market to share Apple like profits. They produced some good high mid ranged devices they sold at high end prices and bombed out.

The trick is that what may be needed is the switch to competent software to accent very solid hardware at each price point. It isn't about hardware anymore - that's what Apple has shown.

All these big tech companies are trying to pull an Apple with their products. Even MS instead of looking at different markets or different ideas. They all want what Apple has.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Well, that's publicity, Microsoft made it to the front page of every Swiss newspaper homepage I visited.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I just finish watching a series on BBC called the 'Men who made us spend'. It's based on another documentary called the 'Light bulb conspiracy' which talks about how products are engineered with obsolescence. Both are good and are real eye openers. The BBC one is three episodes. All four explain our messed up society pretty well... from an economic point of view.

It has always been about making super profits. The only way to do that is to grab from others and exploiting the labor of people and not matching pay to their efforts.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

All these big tech companies are trying to pull an Apple with their products. Even MS instead of looking at different markets or different ideas. They all want what Apple has.

Yeah, they all want customers that are willing to pay more than what an item is actually worth, and be happy to do so.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It has always been about making super profits. The only way to do that is to grab from others and exploiting the labor of people and not matching pay to their efforts.

Yes, it is all about profits but the psychology behind it is quite amazing. If you can see those three episodes from the BBC I highly recommend it. It provides a really interesting insight into what we as a society have become to accept so that they can sell. It is a bit shocking to say the least. The first two I found the most interesting, one was about obsolescence in products and the other on fear in advertising. The third talked about how children are being groomed for consumerism followed by how they progressed to make adults more 'child like' in their spending. All very interesting.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Totally off topic, then again, this hole thread is all about off-topic...

Can anyone recommend a TTF editor that is either open source/free or not too expensive? I need to edit 1 or 2 characters in a TTF font.

IDK, I guess I've become paranoid in my old age (39) about hap hazzardly downloading a program from an u know site/source.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's Irfanview but how much editing do you want to do?

I've used it for years by the way.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The more I read about these layoffs the more I'm thinking of letting WP go for a year or two.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I just need to adjust kerning on a couple of characters.

Irfanview spears to be an image editor though.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I have PhotoShop (granted I never upgraded past 7 😰

What I need is something to be able to edit a character in a TTF font. There is a font I want to use, adjusting the text programmatically, and 2 of the characters will run into the next character, so I would like to edit the font itself to adjust spacing and have it work wherever the character is in use.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

The more I read about these layoffs the more I'm thinking of letting WP go for a year or two.

I certainly will. Too many uncertainties, too many promises in the air, too many structural problems that need to be solved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss