WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Sums up my thoughts.

Now divided between HTC and LG on who is my favorite Android OEM. LG keeps reading my mind lately (impressive battery lives, tap-to-wake functionality) , let's see if the trend continues.

I like LG's stuff. My Samsung loving friend (owns a S2, Ativ S and Galaxy Nexus) is blown away by the G3. He and I have similar tastes in phones so if he gets his hand on a G3, he and his wife will be fist fighting for days as to who gets to use it as she likes to claim his very good gadgets...😊

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Chregu will tell you the Nexus 5 is probably overpriced in his market. Some markets get screwed like that sadly...

It's very reasonable priced now, it was pretty expensive in the beginning because it wasn't officially sold in Switzerland.

I just noticed the notification LED blinking green on my phone, that means I've got a Whatsapp message! ;-)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I just noticed the notification LED blinking green on my phone, that means I've got a Whatsapp message! ;-)

You just threw me one of the most useful and annoying features I've seen in smartphones.

Still hate the fact that Nokia effectively killed Sleeping Screen/Glance with their 8.1 offerings.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's very reasonable priced now, it was pretty expensive in the beginning because it wasn't officially sold in Switzerland.

Not sure if this setup will appeal to you but I'm currently running the Android L keyboard (or a very good clone of it) and the Android L preview theme. If this is the official keyboard, I love it as much as the WP one. It flies on my Z Ultra. I would use the Nokia Z Launcher but i think it is better on a smaller device. Basically it uses gestures. I like the fact that instead of scrolling for apps you can write the fist letter or two of the app you want, and if finds it. That reminds me of the letter tiles in the app list on WP. Lovely stuff indeed. Cannot wait to drop that launcher on a Nexus 5 or Moto X.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if this setup will appeal to you but I'm currently running the Android L keyboard (or a very good clone of it) and the Android L preview theme. If this is the official keyboard, I love it as much as the WP one. It flies on my Z Ultra. I would use the Nokia Z Launcher but i think it is better on a smaller device. Basically it uses gestures. I like the fact that instead of scrolling for apps you can write the fist letter or two of the app you want, and if finds it. That reminds me of the letter tiles in the app list on WP. Lovely stuff indeed. Cannot wait to drop that launcher on a Nexus 5 or Moto X.

I usually write in my dialect on my phone. So swipe or word suggestions don't work for me. Else I'm very happy with the keyboard on the G3.

These things sound good, for now I'm happy, but as soon as I'm getting bored with the phone I'll look this post up again :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You just threw me one of the most useful and annoying features I've seen in smartphones.

Still hate the fact that Nokia effectively killed Sleeping Screen/Glance with their 8.1 offerings.

You know what I noticed with 8.1? If my phone dies and when it first starts to charge, the windows key flashes like the old HTC Diamond's home key did when they had notifications.

You know what MSFT could do to offset the loss of glance? Allow the Windows key to flash as a notification on the other devices with capacitive buttons.

But we all know MSFT - they won't do that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well I just found something else I like better about Android over WP.

My tablet connects to my work's WiFi. My phone doesn't. I was under the impression that the WiFi worked with i products only but it would appear that WP just simply doesn't support the profile for some reason. Don't know. Either that or my tablet is tricking the server into thinking it's an i product. :p

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I usually write in my dialect on my phone. So swipe or word suggestions don't work for me. Else I'm very happy with the keyboard on the G3.

These things sound good, for now I'm happy, but as soon as I'm getting bored with the phone I'll look this post up again :)

You would have to sideload these in the same manner you would for that MS Office file I talked about earlier. If you get to that point, just PM me and and ill send you a folder with the L preview theme, the L keyboard, the Z launcher and the Office APKs. 😉

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

This reminds me of how I used to root my Windows Mobile devices. HTC was highly committed to Microsoft devices back in the times. I owned a HD, but the HD2 looked so much better. So I flashed it with the ROM from the... Diamond? that had the same design as the HD2.

It was very cool and ran smoothly enough ;-)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

You know what I noticed with 8.1? If my phone dies and when it first starts to charge, the windows key flashes like the old HTC Diamond's home hey did when they had notifications.

You know what MSFT could do to offset the loss of glance? Allow the Windows key to flash as a notification on the other devices with capacitive buttons.

But we all know MSFT - they won't do that.
I don't know. I've always found notification lights annoying, unless they told me something was turned on.

On the other hand, I fell in love with Sleeping Screen (Glance's father, mother and siblings) from the very start. It just seemed so...beautiful.
At the start, which was during the atrocious S60 5th Edition period, it even included tap-to-wake functionality. And the patterns it created, as well as the way the info was presented?
Enough to make your friendly neighborhood lock screen obsolete, and rival the Start Screen in terms of functionality.

Ah, I just made myself sad.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

After lunch I had a coffee with my girlfriend in the sun (it was very nice) and then I thought it's the perfect opportunity to test readability of the LG3 in the sun as reviewers said it isn't that good.

So I turned it on and in the first moment I thought: "Hell, I don't see anything!" and right when I wanted to scratch my head the light sensor kicked in and increased the brightness to the highest level. It's easily readable without any problems. Of course, watching a movie wouldn't really work, but that would soak the battery empty within minutes anyway with this screen on this brightness level ;-)

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Is it the real theme or is it just icon pack? I have Nova launcher with Android L animations, Android L icon pack and Android L keyboard. I would also change soft keys to Android L like but I can't root my tablet.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Is it the real theme or is it just icon pack? I have Nova launcher with Android L animations, Android L icon pack and Android L keyboard. I would also change soft keys to Android L like but I can't root my tablet.

It's the rooted like version for non rooted devices. Which means the color accents are teal and the soft keys are Playstation like with the circle, square, etc look.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've got no intention of rooting my Z Ultra, especially once I learned I'd lose the LTE band I have for t-mobile. But a Nexus 5 or Moto X? Hell yes! I'm a huge fan of stock ROMs with speed and battery performance tweaks. I wonder what Moto will put in for the X+1 specs wise. I loved the Moto Z I designed - I picked out two: Slate Grey with Purp accents and teak wood with white accents. I'm thinking of just waiting to see if they offer Qi in the X+1. If so, I'm getting that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

After lunch I had a coffee with my girlfriend in the sun (it was very nice) and then I thought it's the perfect opportunity to test readability of the LG3 in the sun as reviewers said it isn't that good.

So I turned it on and in the first moment I thought: "Hell, I don't see anything!" and right when I wanted to scratch my head the light sensor kicked in and increased the brightness to the highest level. It's easily readable without any problems. Of course, watching a movie wouldn't really work, but that would soak the battery empty within minutes anyway with this screen on this brightness level ;-)

So...how does she feel about the new phone? Is she satisfied you've got even more brain power to spare now that you've made the leap? 😉

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

So...how does she feel about the new phone? Is she satisfied you've got even more brain power to spare now that you've made the leap? 😉
The way you worded it makes it seem that his girlfriend is only interested in the specs of whoever she's in a relationship with.

Be prepared for complaints about your lack of internal storage and RAM if that's the case ;)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The way you worded it makes it seem that his girlfriend is only interested in the specs of whoever she's in a relationship with.

Be prepared for complaints about your lack of internal storage and RAM if that's the case ;)

Sssh! I'm allowed to bust his chops, aren't I? 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb