WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I personally think 512MB devices should have disappeared this time round. The L530 is a pretty low end device and people keep saying 1GB is somehow 'high spec' when the difference in price is mediocre. They should have did the smart thing and let go of the 512MB devices. I'm sure the L530 will sell well in the environment they want to sell it in but why not make it better than anything else out there? That also goes for the L630/5. I don't get the thinking personally. Don't get me started on the L930...

Now, I'll go to bat for the 930 (and it is not because I am getting one) and say this: you cannot knock that phone when it is about the overall launch strategy. When the 920 came out, it had a new feature - phase 2 of pureview. People complained about the weight so the 925 came out 8 months later. Now, if you look at the 930 and 920 specs wise, it is an upgrade. More RAM, bigger screen, faster processor, quicker shot to shot time, weight is down. Ordinarily, this phone SHOULD get lots of pub.

Here's the problem. The market has changed. In between the 920 and 930 launches, you've had on the high end level the 925 (incrementally improved with the 6th lens), the1020 (improved camera) and the 1520 (same camera as the 930) launched. So if the camera is a driving feature, we've seen the same pureview 2.0 in 5 models (925, 928, 929, 1020, 1520) between the 920 and 930. So while on paper it is an upgrade over the 920, the new software doesn't take advantage of the hardware enough to warrant existing users to upgrade and it doesn't add anything distinctive for new users (outside the platform) to switch.

Truth is that I'm starting to feel that MSFT gave most of the cash to Nokia to fill out their WP line instead of creating a clear strategy going forward. It's like they swapped out Symbian for WP literally, instead of having things lined up neatly to keep pace with their software.

MSFT needs compelling features to upgrade existing users and to attract new ones. Personally, it would appear the rumors are true that RAM is more expensive than CPUs. I don't mind them having a 512MB RAM phone, but it should be 2 lines only - something in the under $100 to replace the Asha line completely and something at the $140 mark as the entry level Lumia. The issue here is that it seems the high end is suffering with the convoluted launch sequences and carrier exclusives.

Simply put, WP is in a mess from a PR and seemingly strategy perspective right now.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ouch. More power to them, I guess. HTC has to recover from their losses in the Android Battlefront before moving ask to Windows Phone.

Agree but disagree here. There are 2 WP8 models, not the 10 million they did in WP7. Should be easier to support, even if they may be building another 2.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Now, I'll go to bat for the 930 (and it is not because I am getting one) and say this: you cannot knock that phone when it is about the overall launch strategy. When the 920 came out, it had a new feature - phase 2 of pureview. People complained about the weight so the 925 came out 8 months later. Now, if you look at the 930 and 920 specs wise, it is an upgrade. More RAM, bigger screen, faster processor, quicker shot to shot time, weight is down. Ordinarily, this phone SHOULD get lots of pub.

Here's the problem. The market has changed. In between the 920 and 930 launches, you've had on the high end level the 925 (incrementally improved with the 6th lens), the1020 (improved camera) and the 1520 (same camera as the 930) launched. So if the camera is a driving feature, we've seen the same pureview 2.0 in 5 models (925, 928, 929, 1020, 1520) between the 920 and 930. So while on paper it is an upgrade over the 920, the new software doesn't take advantage of the hardware enough to warrant existing users to upgrade and it doesn't add anything distinctive for new users (outside the platform) to switch.

Truth is that I'm starting to feel that MSFT gave most of the cash to Nokia to fill out their WP line instead of creating a clear strategy going forward. It's like they swapped out Symbian for WP literally, instead of having things lined up neatly to keep pace with their software.

MSFT needs compelling features to upgrade existing users and to attract new ones. Personally, it would appear the rumors are true that RAM is more expensive than CPUs. I don't mind them having a 512MB RAM phone, but it should be 2 lines only - something in the under $100 to replace the Asha line completely and something at the $140 mark as the entry level Lumia. The issue here is that it seems the high end is suffering with the convoluted launch sequences and carrier exclusives.

Simply put, WP is in a mess from a PR and seemingly strategy perspective right now.

I'm going to say this right here, right now. I'm betting that the disorganization on Nokia's part was the very reason they bought the D&S division. Nokia was acting like Windows Phone was just another Symbian.

To think that I thought they changed with their clear-cut x20 line...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Oh, morning folks. Off from work today. Should be cleaning but I feel like pushing it off...again...

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

If I forget my S120 again for the trip to Great Britain I'll be very sorry. But I guess it's different. Last weekend was all in Switzerland, visiting a friend in an area I know. The open-air was special, but nothing that needed preparation. For Great Britain it will be different, sorting out flight tickets and passports and hotel addresses, so I'll think twice about not forgetting anything.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to say this right here, right now. I'm betting that the disorganization on Nokia's part was the very reason they bought the D&S division. Nokia was acting like Windows Phone was just another Symbian.

To think that I thought they changed with their clear-cut x20 line...

I don't doubt that for a second. But we can argue MSFT was just as disorganized. I guess my take is now isn't the time to appear to be disorganized. By the time they regroup, the game's passed them by...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

On the whole I have no issues with the L930 other than the lack of key features that Nokia had and the idea of selling 6 month old technology as new. I just wish they could have update the specs a touch.

As for 512MB devices, it's been mentioned by someone whom I trust that the difference between 512MB and 1 GB is under $3.

On the whole the phone line needs to be optimized better and have a more streamlined approach. How do you do that in such a crazy market though? On the one hand you have those who want monster phones and those who want 4" - 5" phones. Then you have the flagship and low end market. Do you divide it up like Nokia did or do you try to create a bunch of models that suite most people? It's complicated and I'm glad I don't have to deal with this situation but my thoughts are this.

I think 5-6 phones max. All looking similar to one another. So in other words when you see one you know it's a WP. Next release them at the same time. Lastly, lose the carrier exclusive nonsense. I think designing in this manner you have a better chance of capturing a market and creating a brand. That's the one thing I never saw with the Nokia line. Sure there were some things that seemed similar but it just never caught people's imagination. Hopefully they can sort that out.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Anyone like the newest WP commercial featuring the iPhone 5S(Siri) and the Lumia 635(Cortana)?

I don't like comparison commercials. I don't watch TV anymore, but when I still was, it was more custom in my country to promote the own pros instead of focusing on cons of the others. I don't know if this is a cliche, but I think it's something very American to do that. This competitive thing they have going on there...

Nobody thinking about buying an iPhone 5S would buy a Lumia 635. And the 5S is so much than the 635 in most areas anyway.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I don't doubt that for a second. But we can argue MSFT was just as disorganized. I guess my take is now isn't the time to appear to be disorganized. By the time they regroup, the game's passed them by...

There's a reason government is brought in to break imperfect competition in markets.
An inefficient institution can bring about an efficient market, after all.

One of the gripes with the Lumia line is that there is a long turnaround time between the official OS update and the firmware to arrive, though. That's one more reason.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
On the whole I have no issues with the L930 other than the lack of key features that Nokia had and the idea of selling 6 month old technology as new. I just wish they could have update the specs a touch.

As for 512MB devices, it's been mentioned by someone whom I trust that the difference between 512MB and 1 GB is under $3.

On the whole the phone line needs to be optimized better and have a more streamlined approach. How do you do that in such a crazy market though? On the one hand you have those who want monster phones and those who want 4" - 5" phones. Then you have the flagship and low end market. Do you divide it up like Nokia did or do you try to create a bunch of models that suite most people? It's complicated and I'm glad I don't have to deal with this situation but my thoughts are this.

I think 5-6 phones max. All looking similar to one another. So in other words when you see one you know it's a WP. Next release them at the same time. Lastly, lose the carrier exclusive nonsense. I think designing in this manner you have a better chance of capturing a market and creating a brand. That's the one thing I never saw with the Nokia line. Sure there were some things that seemed similar but it just never caught people's imagination. Hopefully they can sort that out.

I'd go Nexus style in this reagrd and offer 5 phones...1 phablet, 1 flagship, 1 mid range, 1 stupid cheap and 1 low end. Roll As a into the Lumia 400 line. Roll the 5xx and 6xx into one line. Roll the 7xx and 8xx line into 1. Roll the 9xx and 10xx into one. Keep the 15x as the phablet.

For example:

the cheap line: 3.8" in screen + 512 RAM

low end is 4.3" + 1GB RAM

mid range is 4.7" +1GB RAM

flagship is 5-5.5" + 2GB RAM +

phablet between 6-7" + 3GB RAM +

And then let the other OEMs offer alternatives along those prices points. Then focus on having a more coordinated rollout. I don't if the Lumia line always has theirs first and the other OEMs follow within a month - two months later, but it should be close. At least make sure that the OEMs get the OS a lot quicker.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No.

Prove to me the 635 is a more attractive purchase first before you throw the trivialities at me - mainstream consumer

^In a perfect world

I love the 635 design. Really do. Was very impressed walking away from it. Didn't like how they did the onscreen buttons, but it is nice overall.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I love the 635 design. Really do. Was very impressed walking away from it. Didn't like how they did the onscreen buttons, but it is nice overall.

I was really impressed by the 930. ...we just have an incredible hail storm.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I was really impressed by the 930. ...we just have an incredible hail storm.

I'm impressed by it too. It will fit my needs nicely, especially since my guts says that we may not see anything exciting in the fall. I don't mind no glance because, well, I own an 8X.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm impressed by it too. It will fit my needs nicely, especially since my guts says that we may not see anything exciting in the fall. I don't mind no glance because, well, I own an 8X.

Well I plan on keeping my G3 for at least a year, maybe again almost two as with my 8X. It will be interesting to see how the market will develop until then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte