WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's the same everywhere. As more content goes online more counties are making a tv licence mandatory so that they still get their money. :p

Yeah, I support that. It's important for independent news, at least in Switzerland politics don't interfere with the prodcasts, so much so that they don't regulate it in any way, what leads to this: What I don't support are crappy copies of other TV shows they produce with this money...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I haven't watched the new one. I liked the science of the previous one, not everything made sense, but it wasn't as bad as these movies usually are.

My bacterium is the most harmless imaginable, it's so cute and nice. That's why I often feel bad making experiments on them ;-)

I did like the new Planet of the Apes, but for the story, not for the science. The apes were more interesting than the humans in the new movie.

Zombie apocalypse movies actually make more sense, since the zombie pandemics are described as affecting only one species (humans) and affecting the majority of the population, other than a few immune individuals.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

My bacterium is the most harmless imaginable, it's so cute and nice. That's why I often feel bad making experiments on them ;-)
Bacteria get a bad reputation from uninformed persons. Most bacteria are beneficial, and we would not survive without them.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I did like the new Planet of the Apes, but for the story, not for the science. The apes were more interesting than the humans in the new movie.

I was just slightly annoyed that they could come up with the idea that a 'cure' for Alzheimer's would make chimpanzees, which are 98% generically identical to humans smarter and have the adverse effect and create a virus that kills humans.

Zombie apocalypse movies actually make more sense, since the zombie pandemics are described as affecting only one species (humans) and affecting the majority of the population, other than a few immune individuals.

It's more probable that some humans will be immune to a virus or disease (there's already HIV immunity showing in parts of Africa for example) than a parasite which could infect and controls dead humans, though zombie parasites already exist. Humans are a bit too complex to be controlled so easily.

Saying that however, apparently there's a parasite that exists on cats that somehow control humans to like cats more. No I'm not kidding. I'll have to search for that info for both those things I mentioned.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Yesterday, coffee break. I was playing around with "Ok Google" (I don't have Google Now activated, I don't need this). Somebody of us mentioned Siri and I said something along the lines of: "You remember my phone before has a Microsoft OS? They are developing something like Siri, but much better!"

Her response: "There are people using this? I only used Siri once, when you and I were playing around with it."

I wonder, are there many people using Cortana on a daily basis productively?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I was just slightly annoyed that they could come up with the idea that a 'cure' for Alzheimer's would make chimpanzees, which are 98% generically identical to humans smarter and have the adverse effect and create a virus that kills humans.

It's more probable that some humans will be immune to a virus or disease (there's already HIV immunity showing in parts of Africa for example) than a parasite which could infect and controls dead humans, though zombie parasites already exist. Humans are a bit too complex to be controlled so easily.

Saying that however, apparently there's a parasite that exists on cats that somehow control humans to like cats more. No I'm not kidding. I'll have to search for that info for both those things I mentioned.
The zombie apocalypse movies seem to imply the pathogens are viral, at least in 28 Days Later. World War Z does not mention if the pathogens are bacterial or viral, but they are not parasitic.

The "slow moving zombies" in many films exhibit behaviour similar to that of rabies victims, and rabies is a virus.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Yesterday, coffee break. I was playing around with "Ok Google" (I don't have Google Now activated, I don't need this). Somebody of us mentioned Siri and I said something along the lines of: "You remember my phone before has a Microsoft OS? They are developing something like Siri, but much better!"

Her response: "There are people using this? I only used Siri once, when you and I were playing around with it."

when I'm sad :p I ask her to sing.... lol if you count that as productive :p

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I use Cortana daily, but I don't talk to my phone. I use Cortana's interests mainly to keep track of my favourite sports teams scores.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Was the virus killing humans thing already in the previous movie? I don't remember such a thing.

I did research on Alzheimer's disease during my master thesis, and there are approaches similar to how it's described in the movies. Of course, none of them have a big effect and research much more focuses on stopping the disease than on reverting it. It's also highly unlikely that an additional protein expressed in apes would make them much more intelligent.

Also, I don't think that a retroviral therapy works like shown in the movie. It's however clear that such treatments can go terribly wrong, research on this was halted for years because a trial lead to cancer much worse than the disease it should have treated.

Still, it didn't bother me much when watching the movie. At least it was somehow connected to science. Usually you just get a pile of made up crap.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I use Cortana daily, but I don't talk to my phone. I use Cortana's interests mainly to keep track of my favourite sports teams scores.

Does it offer much more than the Bing sports app for example?

It's really a shame I could never test Cortana because of my 8X's limitations.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Just for fun ...
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140730_0006.png
    wp_ss_20140730_0006.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss