WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Does it offer much more than the Bing sports app for example?

It's really a shame I could never test Cortana because of my 8X's limitations.

It will show current scores when I tap on the tile (I have Cortana pinned to my start screen). I like that better than opening Bing sports or the ESPN app.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

So I won't be on official OS at all. Before I we get cyan MS will release GDR 2
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Was the virus killing humans thing already in the previous movie? I don't remember such a thing.

At the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes the cure that made the apes smart created a virus that killed people. Not the first one they created, which seemed to cure the guy's dad but the second one. The one lab guy is found dead in his apartment and he sneezed on the other guy's (the one who raised Caesar) neighbor who was a pilot which is how it spreads, which they show with the map at the end of the movie. Which is why it's easier for the Apes to take control as the human population starts to decline.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Was the virus killing humans thing already in the previous movie? I don't remember such a thing.
No, and the current movie calls the virus something very similar to SIV, which I think is dumb, since SIV/HIV are completely different.

I did research on Alzheimer's disease during my master thesis, and there are approaches similar to how it's described in the movies. Of course, none of them have a big effect and research much more focuses on stopping the disease than on reverting it. It's also highly unlikely that an additional protein expressed in apes would make them much more intelligent.

Also, I don't think that a retroviral therapy works like shown in the movie. It's however clear that such treatments can go terribly wrong, research on this was halted for years because a trial lead to cancer much worse than the disease it should have treated.

Still, it didn't bother me much when watching the movie. At least it was somehow connected to science. Usually you just get a pile of made up crap.
I agree.

I still think the zombie apocalypse movies seem more realistic in terms of the science.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

At the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes the cure that made the apes smart created a virus that killed people. Not the first one they created, which seemed to cure the guy's dad but the second one. The one lab guy is found dead in his apartment and he sneezed on the other guy's (the one who raised Caesar) neighbor who was a pilot which is how it spreads, which they show with the map at the end of the movie. Which is why it's easier for the Apes to take control as the human population starts to decline.

Oh yeah, the neighbour who is a pilot gets a nosebleed near the end. He is "patient zero", since he spreads it to the people on the plane (and overseas).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh yeah, the neighbour who is a pilot gets a nosebleed near the end. He is "patient zero", since he spreads it to the people on the plane (and overseas).

Wouldn't patient zero be the lab guy who got it first and gave it to the pilot?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Weeee!

zuverube.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Wouldn't patient zero be the lab guy who got it first and gave it to the pilot?

Probably. I'm using the terminology originally used with HIV. The Canadian flight attendant was called "patient zero" in the spread of HIV.

However, that turned out to be false. The first case of HIV in the US was in a teenager from St Louis, Missouri, who never travelled outside of the US. He died in 1969.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

That was weird. I got kicked off that forum. :p I didn't exist for a few minutes there. :p

Don't feel bad. So did I (while trying to clean spam). I couldn't get on Android Central, iMore, CrackBerry, Connectedly or Mobile Nations either.

They must have rebooted a server.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Don't feel bad. So did I (while trying to clean spam). I couldn't get on Android Central, iMore, CrackBerry, Connectedly or Mobile Nations either.

They must have rebooted a server.

You would know more than I. I'm guessing it was the accounts server as the rest of the forum seemed to be working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99