WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

The problem has been that the big two - AT&T and Verizon - can go to an OEM and get a good enough deal because their cash can cover even flops. HTC and Verizon have been tight for years, so it is no surprise that the W8 lands there first. I find it interesting that within the last year VZW has gotten 3 exclusives - Lumia Icon, Ativ SE and W8, to AT&T's 2: Lumia 1020 and 1520.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra

No, what I meant it looks like there might be three versions of the 830... just to confuse everyone, again... I can see the update mess, again. That's what I meant. Personally if I were in the US I'd buy unlocked. Locking to a carrier is dead end. Then again, I don't be carrier locked anyway. :p I only did with the L920 this one time and it's been painful. Won't ever make that mistake again.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Making a 1530 is pointless until they release threshold. That would be the true phablet system for them. They say it's coming in spring. I wonder how true that is...

If, that's a big if, MSFT should start to use 8.1.2 to start adding in some differentiating features that take advantage of anything 5"+. But...that is asking for a lot from MSFT.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No, what I meant it looks like there might be three versions of the 830... just to confuse everyone, again... I can see the update mess, again. That's what I meant. Personally if I were in the US I'd buy unlocked. Locking to a carrier is dead end. Then again, I don't be carrier locked anyway. :p I only did with the L920 this one time and it's been painful. Won't ever make that mistake again.

I don't think t-mo would take a 830 variant. They saw what happened to the 810 and appear perfectly content to sell 635s and 530s. I meant, they could grab the 830 and not sell anything high end like the 925. AT&T will almost certainly take a stab it, as will VZW because the 822 sold well enough.

So now you see why I'm 100% buy then unlocked, keep them in good condition so when time cones to upgrade you're not buying completely from scratch.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If, that's a big if, MSFT should start to use 8.1.2 to start adding in some differentiating features that take advantage of anything 5"+. But...that is asking for a lot from MSFT.

Anything above getting SD card usage right is a big ask of MS. :p

People talk like threshold is coming in spring. If it does great but I'm not going to hold my breath. Reliability of MS and Nokia are both dismal with release times.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I see that the US carriers are going to make a mess of WP again for everyone. How nice. Aside from the carriers being a pain it's crap like that which reduces WP in the eyes of buyers. Carrier specific phones are such a crap move.

I think one strategy needs to be to sell unlocked versions directly (ala Google or OnePlus One) which support every freaking GSM band possible. VZW can have its weird CDMA/GSM versions and ATT can do what it wants - like remove wireless charging from the 1520. This way people who want to use a phone sans the carrier subsidies can do what they want....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The problem has been that the big two - AT&T and Verizon - can go to an OEM and get a good enough deal because their cash can cover even flops. HTC and Verizon have been tight for years, so it is no surprise that the W8 lands there first. I find it interesting that within the last year VZW has gotten 3 exclusives - Lumia Icon, Ativ SE and W8, to AT&T's 2: Lumia 1020 and 1520.

Don't know how well these are doing on VZW though...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

One way around is to stuff all the bands in even though the phone is carrier locked, that way when you finally unlock it the phone can work on any network ala Apple or even most Samsungs and LGs these days...even Sony I believe does that.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't think t-mo would take a 830 variant. They saw what happened to the 810 and appear perfectly content to sell 635s and 530s. I meant, they could grab the 830 and not sell anything high end like the 925. AT&T will almost certainly take a stab it, as will VZW because the 822 sold well enough.

So now you see why I'm 100% buy then unlocked, keep them in good condition so when time cones to upgrade you're not buying completely from scratch.

I don't think that the 830 will show up on TMO. I hope that the third variant (VZW and ATT ones aside) is unlocked and sold my MSFT directly so that people can use it on TMO.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

What's bad are the mindless consumers who go along with this and make such copycat moves OK by buying with their wallets. I see so many Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 2 and Note 3 daily.

I live in a sea of iPhones at work....

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I think one strategy needs to be to sell unlocked versions directly (ala Google or OnePlus One) which support every freaking GSM band possible. VZW can have its weird CDMA/GSM versions and ATT can do what it wants - like remove wireless charging from the 1520. This way people who want to use a phone sans the carrier subsidies can do what they want....
rip 830 on tmobile !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel