WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Everyone seems to think the Nine Inch Nails is rather depressing but their songs have some Positive Psychology in them.

Take this line from the song Last, showing mindfulness: This isn't meant to last, this is for right now

See? Live in the moment. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Enterprise software tend to bend over backwards for older PCs, so...

Actually software continues to move forward but most enterprises refuse to go with it. A lot of large companies use large IT companies who are paranoid of things going wrong so they do minuscule updates. They lock down computers to almost being borderline painful to use and use very annoying virus software on top of that.

This is enterprise in a nutshell. If you're lucky enough to be in a new company with new ideas you might have the latest tech but it's likely that if you work for any large company you'll be years behind.

I use specialized 3D software so I need something with some good grunt. It's not the best PC but it's not bad. What's amusing is that my supervisor and manager got the best computers recently and neither use any CAD software at all! :p

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I just checked my PC's specs.

Windows 7 Ultimate (non-SP1, no updates ever, pirated)
1 TB HDD
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-4460
Some AMD graphics card
A crappy looking 1366x768 display that somehow only displays up to 1024x768

I think I'll continue using my T100 over this.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Actually software continues to move forward but most enterprises refuse to go with it. A lot of large companies use large IT companies who are paranoid of things going wrong so they do minuscule updates. They lock down computers to almost being borderline painful to use and use very annoying virus software on top of that.

This is enterprise in a nutshell. If you're lucky enough to be in a new company with new ideas you might have the latest tech but it's likely that if you work for any large company you'll be years behind.

I use specialized 3D software so I need something with some good grunt. It's not the best PC but it's not bad. What's amusing is that my supervisor and manager got the best computers recently and neither use any CAD software at all! :p
Wait, you mentioned you work with CAD. What CAD software do you use? My dad got a desktop so he could work with CAD since the PCs in his office all run Linux thanks to the IT department.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Wait, you mentioned you work with CAD. What CAD software do you use? My dad got a desktop so he could work with CAD since the PCs in his office all run Linux thanks to the IT department.

I use AutoCAD, Mircostation and SmartPlant, usually all at the same time... matter of fact, I have all running right now.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I use AutoCAD, Mircostation and SmartPlant, usually all at the same time... matter of fact, I have all running right now.
Ah, thanks. The funny thing was that the reason my dad got the impulse to buy a desktop was because he saw a rather reputable engineer work with a rather large all-in-one touch screen PC.

Oh well, he's used to AutoCAD, but he can try something new ;)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Ah, thanks. The funny thing was that the reason my dad got the impulse to buy a desktop was because he saw a rather reputable engineer work with a rather large all-in-one touch screen PC.

Oh well, he's used to AutoCAD, but he can try something new ;)

Keeping up to date with the latest CAD isn't always easy.

You don't need a monster machine to run AutoCAD unless you plan to use the 3D materials and do very large renders. Same goes for Microstation,which is basically similar to AutoCAD, but different. :p

SmartPlant on the other hand is a different beast all together. It runs off a specification database and has several layers of administration. It's not something you can just install on your machine at home unless you're very good with databases.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Keeping up to date with the latest CAD isn't always easy.

You don't need a monster machine to run AutoCAD unless you plan to use the 3D materials and do very large renders. Same goes for Microstation,which is basically similar to AutoCAD, but different. :p

SmartPlant on the other hand is a different beast all together. It runs off a specification database and has several layers of administration. It's not something you can just install on your machine at home unless you're very good with databases.
Is the last one reliant on MySQL or Microsoft SQL?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. So this is the finished product. Used the French cream cheese substitute + vanilla soy milk as the base instead of heavy cream. We'll see if and how the team likes it.

Posted Approved by Nexus 5

Attachments

• 2829.jpg
    2829.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I just checked my PC's specs.

Windows 7 Ultimate (non-SP1, no updates ever, pirated)
1 TB HDD
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-4460
Some AMD graphics card
A crappy looking 1366x768 display that somehow only displays up to 1024x768

I think I'll continue using my T100 over this.

Only thing I like on this list are the 8GB Ram and the 1TB HDD...

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. So this is the finished product. Used the French cream cheese substitute + vanilla soy milk as the base instead of heavy cream. We'll see if and how the team likes it.

Looks like the stuff they sell at my school for fifty pesos (~$1.11111111111111111111111).

I'm at least assured that this is safe to eat.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Only thing I like on this list are the 8GB Ram and the 1TB HDD...

I'd be fine with the display, considering my penchant for devices with horrible displays (see: Lumia 630, Nintendo 3DS XL, my old netbooks)

Really, the thing that's really putting me off is the pirated Win7 copy...made it much harder to update to SP1 and IE11 with ease.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Do me a favour and keep talking pc specs for a bit, I'll chip in after work with my rig.

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site

To wandering traveller, how fast is the hard drive? I personally would have bought an ssd for the os and executable files. Also chances are your graphic card only supports up to 1024x768 😋

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'd be fine with the display, considering my penchant for devices with horrible displays (see: Lumia 630, Nintendo 3DS XL, my old netbooks)

Really, the thing that's really putting me off is the pirated Win7 copy...made it much harder to update to SP1 and IE11 with ease.

Understood. My rig still runs XP...but it is one of the last Mohicans as it is am AMD Athlon Quad Core Rig. I've got the $40 update to Windows 8. I'll do the upgrade within the next two months - just been too lazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077