WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

To wandering traveller, how fast is the hard drive? I personally would have bought an ssd for the os and executable files. Also chances are your graphic card only supports up to 1024x768 ��

That would have to be a very old graphics card. Very old. It could be an indication that the right graphics drivers is not installed. Win 7 provides a decent one but not the best.

Also, not everyone has the money to put two hard drives into a machine. They used to partition our hard drives here at work and stopped doing it as it was no longer needed. Most hard drives speeds are fine for most applications.

I'd like to get an SSD but can't justify the cost of one. Maybe my next laptop or whatever I plan to get then.

Last edited:

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Will if we are going in all this PC stuff I'm also joining :D

i5 4430

8GB Ram

500 gb hdd

120 gb ssd

Graphics card is integrated. It's good enough for me 😊.

Not really a powerhouse though.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm starting to think I have the wimpy computer here. :p

Well it is a laptop. :p Does the job though. :p

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm starting to think I have the wimpy computer here. :p

Well it is a laptop. :p Does the job though. :p
What do you think my T100 feels?

Anyway, now that I think of it, I'll just try and convince my parents to just update this to Win8 and be done with it. That's if I don't find out what my graphics card is. I'm betting it's the drivers, but Win7 keeps saying that the drivers are up-to-date.

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site

That would have to be a very old graphics card. Very old. It could be an indication that the right graphics drivers is not installed. Win 7 provides a decent one but not the best.

Also, not everyone has the money to put two hard drives into a machine. They used to partition our hard drives here at work and stopped doing it as it was no longer needed. Most hard drives speeds are fine for most applications.

I'd like to get an SSD but can't justify the cost of one. Maybe my next laptop or whatever I plan to get then.

Yeah SSDs are horribly expensive but in my experience it really is a difference in speed. Possibly because my old pc had hard drive with like 100 rpm....(exaggerated)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Will if we are going in all this PC stuff I'm also joining :D

i5 4430

8GB Ram

500 gb hdd

120 gb ssd

Graphics card is integrated. It's good enough for me ��.

Not really a powerhouse though.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk
I keep hearing that Haswell brought an impressive showing for Intel's integrated graphics. I'm hoping for something better for Boradwell.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What do you think my T100 feels?

Anyway, now that I think of it, I'll just try and convince my parents to just update this to Win8 and be done with it. That's if I don't find out what my graphics card is. I'm betting it's the drivers, but Win7 keeps saying that the drivers are up-to-date.

Don't believe Win 7. You need the official drivers. Is it integrated or separate? You can look at the card and find out what it is and then get the drivers. As long as you have an idea of chip you can download the universal driver for it from AMD.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah SSDs are horribly expensive but in my experience it really is a difference in speed. Possibly because my old pc had hard drive with like 100 rpm....(exaggerated)

I still haven't figured out why SSDs are still so expensive. Until they drop in price I'm just not interested. I don't really need the speed. I don't game. If anything I need a better laptop overall but just can't be bothered at this stage. I'll get a new one in a year or two once I get fed up. Unless it breaks again then I'll have no choice. :p

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Don't believe Win 7. You need the official drivers. Is it integrated or separate? You can look at the card and find out what it is and then get the drivers. As long as you have an idea of chip you can download the universal driver for it from AMD.

This got me when I first got my pc. Thought I had ask the drivers because W7 said everything was up to date, but you have to go to the manufacturers (of whatever it is you're looking for a driver for) website and download them manually. It's a horrible process for a beginner but hey ho that's life...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Alright, I'm going to swallow my pride. How on earth do you find out the graphics card if you don't want to tear up the PC?

Since you have a basic driver it still should give you an idea if you go to Device Manager and click on Details if you don't want to take things apart.

And you can use this: GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This got me when I first got my pc. Thought I had ask the drivers because W7 said everything was up to date, but you have to go to the manufacturers (of whatever it is you're looking for a driver for) website and download them manually. It's a horrible process for a beginner but hey ho that's life...

Today things are easy compared to the 3/486/Pentium days.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I still haven't figured out why SSDs are still so expensive. Until they drop in price I'm just not interested. I don't really need the speed. I don't game. If anything I need a better laptop overall but just can't be bothered at this stage. I'll get a new one in a year or two once I get fed up. Unless it breaks again then I'll have no choice. :p
They're fast. Like flash, I believe. More $/GB. (This is the very reason behind Nintendo shooting itself in the foot by releasing 8/32GB Wii U variants.)

Speed or storage? Take your pick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte