WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I think I burnt through at least 8GB of data in the past 27 hours or so.
2GB thanks to updates
4GB thanks to Nichijou
1GB thanks to browsing
1GB thanks to gaming

No wonder I got throttled today

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The environment is a complete and utter mess and unfortunately there is very loud minority group (backed by an ignorant populace and money) saying there's nothing wrong. Unfortunately a lot of these people have capital interest at heart and a firm belief (note the word belief) that 'everything' will work out just fine.

My wife and I have discussed a few times on how maybe the green movement has screwed up with using the slogan, 'Save the planet'. It's should have been more like this - 'Save the planet to save yourself'. Maybe that might have hit home a bit more.

The Earth will continue on it's merry way, whether we're on it or not.

I like that slogan. It is the truth in every sense of the word. I'll be selfish and say I hope I'm not around to see what when all hell breaks loose. During those times I wouldn't be surprised to see those Hollywood movies of the rich separated from the rest of us in some form of enclave come to life.

It worries me. It really does.

Posted Approved by Nexus 5

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I like that slogan. It is the truth in every sense of the word. I'll be selfish and say I hope I'm not around to see what when all hell breaks loose. During those times I wouldn't be surprised to see those Hollywood movies of the rich separated from the rest of us in some form of enclave come to life.

It worries me. It really does.

I suspect it to be like a NRA wet dream to be honest. Total anarchy. What happens when the oil runs out? What happens as our population increases and food and clean water decrease?

Maybe a good pandemic will come along and wipe a few of us off the planet and that may help change things and people's mind. (I'm not trying be sadistic, just a sign that our population is getting to plague proportions and disease is one of the controlling factors) With our mobile lives this is a strong possibility.

You can't eat plastic or money. :p

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I went browsing at the phone sight I use and was cracking up. Z1Compact for $390, Z Ultra for $330, Z2 for $550...remember, these include shipping. Man, that is crazy. The 930 is still $550. If I didn't love my Z Ultra I'd sell it and get a Z2.

I'd rock a purple Z2 and a burnt orange 930...or better yet, I'd get a 1520 (currently $480 shipping included).

But I am a broke full time employed graduate student, so its OK to use a N5 and a 925 and a Z Ultra. But man, I can dream, can't I?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I suspect it to be like a NRA wet dream to be honest. Total anarchy. What happens when the oil runs out? What happens as our population increases and food and clean water decrease?

Maybe a good pandemic will come along and wipe a few of us off the planet and that may help change things and people's mind. (I'm not trying be sadistic, just a sign that our population is getting to plague proportions and disease is one of the controlling factors) With our mobile lives this is a strong possibility.

You can't eat plastic or money. :p

To me the one resource more precious than oil: clean drinking water. Some of the aquifers here in the US are starting to approach the beginnings of critical levels (many in the Midwest and western parts of the US). Sahib and 99 can talk about the rain issues on the left coast with drought.

If all hell breaks loose it will be a fight for food, water and oil - in that order.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

To me the one resource more precious than oil: clean drinking water. Some of the aquifers here in the US are starting to approach the beginnings of critical levels (many in the Midwest and western parts of the US). Sahib and 99 can talk about the rain issues on the left coast with drought.

If all hell breaks loose it will be a fight for food, water and oil - in that order.

I'm not liking this drought :/ I'm hoping it rains a lot this winter !

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Considering our rather cuddled lifestyles where the majority of us simply go into a grocery stores or restaurants to get food and have zero concept on how it got there I can see food being a major issue. People panic buy things so shortages will happen quickly. As for water, I have personal experience with droughts while living in Australia so I'm very aware of one, the ignorance that people have about water and two, the lack of infrastructure in place to deal with the situation.

With oil, I can see people freaking out over it simply because of our lifestyles to start with, second with the commodity being worth so much. That's why it's dangerous. People kill for value as we all know. Those who feel to gain the most from it will be the once killing for it.

Interesting times ahead.

Regardless of then, we just need to look at Ferguson, Illinois to show the mess the US is in. Yes the news is making it's way here.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Considering our rather cuddled lifestyles where the majority of us simply go into a grocery stores or restaurants to get food and have zero concept on how it got there I can see food being a major issue. People panic buy things so shortages will happen quickly. As for water, I have personal experience with droughts while living in Australia so I'm very aware of one, the ignorance that people have about water and two, the lack of infrastructure in place to deal with the situation.

With oil, I can see people freaking out over it simply because of our lifestyles to start with, second with the commodity being worth so much. That's why it's dangerous. People kill for value as we all know. Those who feel to gain the most from it will be the once killing for it.

Interesting times ahead.

Regardless of then, we just need to look at Ferguson, Illinois to show the mess the US is in. Yes the news is making it's way here.

._. Huh didn't know it reached to the other side of the pond

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Interesting times ahead.

Well, if I want to deal with a water storage, I go back to the house I grew up in. It sits in the middle of a hill so any scientist would know that the water pressure issues are tremendous. Water conversation isn't an issue for me. I have enough of a thumb to know how to grow my own food and how kill chickens and and bait and catch fish (been years since I went fishing though so I'm super rusty). I think I can survive off the land if I have to. Some aren't so lucky. Which is why I don't make fun of the doomsday peppers reality show, simply because while they may be overdoing it, they have a skill if hell breaks loose.

The Missouri thing shows that even though I'm Jamaican in origin, based in my ethnicity, I'm still a member of an endangered species - the black male. Trayvon Martin, the guy a few weeks ago killed by chokehold by NYPD, I can go on and on.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well, if I want to deal with a water storage, I go back to the house I grew up in. It sits in the middle of a hill so any scientist would know that the water pressure issues are tremendous. Water conversation isn't an issue for me. I have enough of a thumb to know how to grow my own food and how kill chickens and and bait and catch fish (been years since I went fishing though so I'm super rusty). I think I can survive off the land if I have to. Some aren't so lucky. Which is why I don't make fun of the doomsday peppers reality show, simply because while they may be overdoing it, they have a skill if hell breaks loose.

I'm not so worried about surviving off the land, it's surviving the panicked populace.

The Missouri thing shows that even though I'm Jamaican in origin, based in my ethnicity, I'm still a member of an endangered species - the black male. Trayvon Martin, the guy a few weeks ago killed by chokehold by NYPD, I can go on and on.

I read a statistic that every 28 hours a black man (never liked this term BTW) dies at the hands of the police in the US. That's just wrong.

People may ask me why I like science, especially evolution and why I think science is important in general.

Simple, evolution kills off racism. Once you understand it correctly you realise we're all the same and it's just evolution as to why we're different. Therefore killing off our main divisive force on the planet.

Why do I like science and see it as important? Simple, the more you learn about it the more you realise that other explanations are mere myths and the methods of science is our only hope of understanding. This kills off the other divisive part of our nature (or reduces it's impact), that of superstition. This is by far the most dangerous one.

I long for a rational world, unfortunately we're far far away from it and just when it seems we're starting to head the right way there comes along something to convince me that we are still nothing more than children still growing up. Evolution has a lot to answer for. :p

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm not so worried about surviving off the land, it's surviving the panicked populace.

I read a statistic that every 28 hours a black man dies at the hands of the police in the US. That's just wrong.

People may ask me why I like science, especially evolution and why I think science is important in general.

Simple, evolution kills off racism. Once you understand it correctly you realise we're all the same and it's just evolution as to why we're different. Therefore killing off our main divisive force on the planet.

Why do I like science and see it as important? Simple, the more you learn about it the more you realise that other explanations are mere myths and the methods of science is our only hope of understanding. This kills off the other divisive part of our nature (or reduces it's impact), that of superstition. This is by far the most dangerous one.

I long for a rational world, unfortunately we're far far away from it and just when it seems we're starting to head the right way there comes along something to convince me that we are still nothing more than children still growing up. Evolution has a lot to answer for. :p

Peonage and the fall out from the US Civil War has helped (among other things) to set the historical backdrop for the issues between black males and the justice system that has been reinforced even in contemporary times. Social media has only made it easier to bring what is always happening into the mainstream more easily. Google the Black Wall Street for an interesting read about a town in the Midwest in the early 20th Century in the US that was black owned, well run, and was systematically dismantled because it was blacks in charge and doing so in a healthy and prosperous manner. Now, I know that crime knows no race, but some racist people are still in public institutions wielding power. Racism is just as ugly in the UK as it is here in the US when revealed, but it is more covert.

My take is that based on how society is constructed in capitalism, you need someone to exploit. So under the current system, war, pestilence, famine, won't end until either the religious stuff truly happens or we find other comparable life forms in the universe to exploit.

We're really in a mess.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Rue, this song says it best:

Band Played On - Joe Walsh

I hope we get to that more rational point, but I don't think we will. It isn't that I don't have a positive outlook on humanity - if I didn't I would be in social work - but I'm a realist to say we've got a loooooong way to go.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Rue, this song says it best:

Band Played On - Joe Walsh

I hope we get to that more rational point, but I don't think we will. It isn't that I don't have a positive outlook on humanity - if I didn't I would be in social work - but I'm a realist to say we've got a loooooong way to go.

I'm sure I know that song but haven't heard it for some time. I'll look it up.

I thought we were doing well at one point but things seemed to have gone down hill the last decade. Humanity is a stressful thing. Ignorance and fear runs high.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

In times of turmoil is when you see the ugliest side of humanity. I guess this past few years haven't been that great in general.

As for racism, it exists everywhere. Some places are just easier to point at.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So I went browsing at the phone sight I use and was cracking up. Z1Compact for $390, Z Ultra for $330, Z2 for $550...remember, these include shipping. Man, that is crazy. The 930 is still $550. If I didn't love my Z Ultra I'd sell it and get a Z2.

I'd rock a purple Z2 and a burnt orange 930...or better yet, I'd get a 1520 (currently $480 shipping included).

But I am a broke full time employed graduate student, so its OK to use a N5 and a 925 and a Z Ultra. But man, I can dream, can't I?

Here is my latest gadget. Pretty nice....
WP_20140815_001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99