WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Sorry folks, today I'm in a very THAT kind of conscious mood. Back in the day, I wanted to be a historian. Archaeologist even. Then I grew up and decided I needed to channel my efforts elsewhere.

Posted Approved by Nexus 5

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sorry folks, today I'm in a very THAT kind of conscious mood. Back in the day, I wanted to be a historian. Archaeologist even. Then I grew up and decided I needed to channel my efforts elsewhere.

No worries. I was going to say something in regards to immigration, being a person who's immigrated three times now. But I know it's a bit different for me and my situation.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No worries. I was going to say something in regards to immigration, being a person who's immigrated three times now. But I know it's a bit different for me and my situation.

It is still worth sharing. Don't be American and give into the temptation of pain comparison or devaluing one's experience in the face of another's differently and stark version of reality...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It is still worth sharing. Don't be American and give into the temptation of pain comparison or devaluing one's experience in the face of another's differently and stark version of reality...

My comment was going to be about how we all immigrate for different reasons but for most it appears the idea of a 'better' life. Either for themselves or their children. When it comes to the US I often wondered about that, looking at it from a Canadian perspective. I often wondered what was so good about the US? Like now, I wonder why the large group of people in France ports are so desperate to get to the UK? Not being from that mindset I find it difficult to get my head around. I understand the wanting to leave from war and political unrest and all that. I can fully understand refugees and immigration of that nature.

Where I get lost is when people are so desperate about the 'gold' at the end of the rainbow mindset and will risk everything to get it, including their lives. Worse is that here in the UK a lot of times their lives are no better. Same goes for Australia but this information doesn't get out to those desperate people and that's where I get confused. Where's the short circuit happening?

As for my own experience, the closest I got to feeling like a 'real' immigrant was my time in Finland. Yes there were difficult times in Australia as well but Finland was something else. Being in a country where you don't know the language, don't know the culture, don't know the 'ways' things work, even though you have some help is a scary thing. Struggling to get by and wanting to work but not having any ability to. Doing some different things in hopes of getting work but nothing is really working. Getting so low on your income that you're happy just to find 2 euros in you pocket to get some food is welcoming. It's a stressful existence that I really don't want to repeat.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

There a d big difference between visiting a place and living in it.

I'm not saying that you need to move to a huge city but I think getting out of your comfort zone for a couple of years or more would be good for you.
Immigration versus tourism :)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You know, I had this weird feeling about visiting the Statue of Liberty and in particular Ellis Island's Immigration Museum. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a very good history lesson, especially since yesterday I really got a chance to see most of the Immigration museum. But as I walked through it all, the sense of "some of this stuff applies to me" wasn't as strong as "at least these folks who emigrated had it easier than the folks who looked like me".

Back then immigration was very different than it is now. Heck even in the 60s it was different. After 2001, things have basically hit rock bottom.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My comment was going to be about how we all immigrate for different reasons but for most it appears the idea of a 'better' life. Either for themselves or their children. When it comes to the US I often wondered about that, looking at it from a Canadian perspective. I often wondered what was so good about the US? Like now, I wonder why the large group of people in France ports are so desperate to get to the UK? Not being from that mindset I find it difficult to get my head around. I understand the wanting to leave from war and political unrest and all that. I can fully understand refugees and immigration of that nature.

Where I get lost is when people are so desperate about the 'gold' at the end of the rainbow mindset and will risk everything to get it, including their lives. Worse is that here in the UK a lot of times their lives are no better. Same goes for Australia but this information doesn't get out to those desperate people and that's where I get confused. Where's the short circuit happening?

As for my own experience, the closest I got to feeling like a 'real' immigrant was my time in Finland. Yes there were difficult times in Australia as well but Finland was something else. Being in a country where you don't know the language, don't know the culture, don't know the 'ways' things work, even though you have some help is a scary thing. Struggling to get by and wanting to work but not having any ability to. Doing some different things in hopes of getting work but nothing is really working. Getting so low on your income that you're happy just to find 2 euros in you pocket to get some food is welcoming. It's a stressful existence that I really don't want to repeat.

The short version is for some folks the desperation is so high that coupled with the whole "the grass is greener on the other side" it is more about getting here and figuring things out.

Desperation is relative, like poverty is. Those who are absolutely desperate know that currency wise, the lowest minimum wage job here in the US is a vast improvement from their current situation. Depending on the group, many have very well connected services whereby they can replicate their home life and still get access to the increase in currency and opportunities.

Some are just disenchanted with where they are and feel that a change of scenery will help. I never forget the conversation I had with a college friend of mine when she talked about wanting to come to 'Murica and I laid it out for her in 10 minutes. All I heard was silence afterwards. She's still in Jamaica and we never had that discussion again before we lost touch.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

The young person's dilemma. :p Then again, it's a constant life struggle to be honest. :p LOL! Well, for some of us. :p Depends how much risk you want to take.

The struggle is really man !!!! /E*

* a made up tag for exaggeration

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)