WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You know, it has been a long time since I posted on this thread. Think it was still in the 60K range the last time.

I feel like I have failed Sahib...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You know, it has been a long time since I posted on this thread. Think it was still in the 60K range the last time.

I feel like I have failed Sahib...

LOL! You obviously have a life. :p

I typically don't post in the evenings and on weekends. I'm currently at work and bored...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Yep... at work as well. Have 2 boilers to fix, and a long list of testing to do.

Instead, I want to be post 84,530. I am SURE this will last forever...

Where do you work, LaRue?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yep... at work as well. Have 2 boilers to fix, and a long list of testing to do.

I work for a large US engineering firm in the UK. I'm working on some ridiculously large project but it's not that exciting.

It's going to be one of 'those' projects which will be a complete mess, get built regardless and then people will proclaim it to be the best project ever.

I'm an electrical design engineer.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Here in the Danville Illinios school district, they have passed a dress code for the first time ever. Teachers and adminstrators wanted them for years. So, I was fine with them. Went to a school board meeting and said so. Let's do it if it helps teachers deal with one last thing. A real basic, easy to follow dress code- Collared shirts, no blue jeans for boys, shorts and skirts have to be longer then your fingertips as your hands are resting on their sides, nothing low cut for girls, no t-shirts, certain colors a no-no. That is it. Nothing hard.

Parents lost their ever-living minds over it. I was shocked. "MY KID NEEDS TO BE ALLOWED TO EXPRESS HIMSELF!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!"

That was the basic scream. Over and over. A few parents were worried about being able to afford all new clothes on a budget for all their kids- that one I understood. But the rest? Sweet mother, I was embarrassed to be a parent....

Wow! The school uniform items required by most schools here are sold in Walmart, and they're cheaper than most of the regular children's clothes.

Also, it can be cheaper for families with several children, since the younger children are able to wear the uniform clothes that their older brothers and sisters outgrow.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Wow! The school uniform items required by most schools here are sold in Walmart, and they're cheaper than most of the regular children's clothes.

Also, it can be cheaper for families with several children, since the younger children are able to wear the uniform clothes that their older brothers and sisters outgrow.

That's the thing most parents don't think about in regards to the uniform thing. It's more important that a child can express themselves with high end fashion rather than learn something. :p

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Yep, that was the school boards response. For the most part, it is one of the few times a school board was basically right. The uniforms were stocked very quickly in our local WalMart and Meijer. Worked out decently.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I could've used you back in the mid-90s. One of my friends lived in an old apartment building that had steam heat. Her radiators always sounded like someone was hitting them with a hammer. I never would've been able to live in that place. She ended up moving, but not because of the radiator noise.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I work for a large US engineering firm in the UK. I'm working on some ridiculously large project but it's not that exciting.

It's going to be one of 'those' projects which will be a complete mess, get built regardless and then people will proclaim it to be the best project ever.

I'm an electrical design engineer.

I work at the Veterans Association Hospital here in the US. It is a federal government run establishment.

Which means EVERYTHING is one of "those" projects. Our goverment doesn't know how to do any other kind.

It would be funny if it was someone elses job. Since it is mine, I do not giggle as much about it.

You have my sympathy.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I could've used you back in the mid-90s. One of my friends lived in an old apartment building that had steam heat. Her radiators always sounded like someone was hitting them with a hammer. I never would've been able to live in that place. She ended up moving, but not because of the radiator noise.

Well, if needed- I am about 7 hours from your stomping grounds. I am here for your steam producing needs.

It takes a real talent to convince someone to let you boil water for a living. I am just such a con-man.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I work at the Veterans Association Hospital here in the US. It is a federal government run establishment.

Which means EVERYTHING is one of "those" projects. Our goverment doesn't know how to do any other kind.

It would be funny if it was someone elses job. Since it is mine, I do not giggle as much about it.

You have my sympathy.

Oh I know about government projects and military ones as well. Both can be painful.

With this particular project we're working with offices all over the place so there's that issue, then there's the way it's being run. You know how MS has decided to get away from the silos? Well our project is running in silos. That should give you and idea of what the project is like.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

With this particular project we're working with offices all over the place so there's that issue, then there's the way it's being run. You know how MS has decided to get away from the silos? Well our project is running in silos. That should give you and idea of what the project is like.

Job security? Makes you think?

Trying to find that silver lining for you.

Ummmm.... Great inside jokes??

Running out of ideas.

Plenty of time for WPC on the clock? Let's face it... getting paid to talk mobile phones ain't bad.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Job security? Makes you think?

Trying to find that silver lining for you.

Ummmm.... Great inside jokes??

Running out of ideas.

Plenty of time for WPC on the clock? Let's face it... getting paid to talk mobile phones ain't bad.

Well to make things even sillier...

The industry is rather buoyant at the moment here in the UK. Contractor rates have gone up and there's lots of work around. I, stupidly, decided to become staff. Main reason was because my wife's work is not very stable and both of us being contract workers seems to stress her. The other was that working contract here is a bit different than Australia. A bit more painful.

As for job security, no such thing really. It's a big project that will probably run for the next 5-7 years and I'll probably be on it the whole time.

I'm sort of in this weird position where my work load is rather flat. I'm waiting for them to give me something meaty to do but what I have is rather dull and repetitive. It's the kind of thing that would usually drive me to look for another position elsewhere just to alleviate the boredom.

The atmosphere where I work is very 'business' like and there's not much fun going on. It's rather dull that way. I use this here as an escape from the dullness.

So, even though the project is large, it's I get the feeling it's going to be a drag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs